Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: weight training frequency. how much?

Question weight training frequency. how much?

There is a lot of conflict out there as to how many times you should train a body part per week. Some say you should train each body part twice a week e.g chest monday and friday while others say that can leed to overtraining that you should only train body parts once a week.
    currently i train body parts once e.g chest and tri on mondays. back and biceps on wed, shoulders and deltoids on fri and legs on saturday some times i add extra small chest work out on fri with my shoulder work out.
    I have tried training twice a week program for each muscle group but didnt notice any gains.
    But i never get big any way.
    What do others find the best and do you notice much difference?

Nobody can say a sure time for you. Cos no body other than you can tell when your, muscles are ready and healed from your last workout.

I dont know how hard you work out or what hurts the next day.

If you train light then 48hrs is fine. Somtimes when I Isolate a muscle and work it hard in one session it will ache for 5-6days. so you see I can train the muscle twice a week, but not on a 7 day routien.

This may sound strange but I dont think "programs" are a good idea.

Just go to the gym every 2days, or 2 out of three days and pick a workout that suits you on that day. sometimes I'll work out 5-6times in one week, sometimes its 2. Dont try doing 1 particular muscle group on a particular day, cos you'll just end up over training or undertraining.
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

Doing the standard break down of body parts and muscle group routine is really more of a body building routine than a functional fitness type routine in my opinion.

Those routines are designed to severly break down a muscle group to promote maximum muscle growth. Maximum muscle growth does turn into strength but it doesn't necessarlly turn into functional strength. ie. make you a better martial artist.

I'd recommend a program like the crossfit workout (http://www.crossfit.com). This program is based soley on functional fitness, speed and power. I'd say that it combines perfectly with martial arts training. At first, the workout is very taxing and you are completely wiped out but soon your body adapts and you can train both crossfit and martial arts in the same day. The workouts are extremely hard so they also benefit your mental toughness as well. That's how it has worked for me anyway.

Try out the workout for 2 weeks and you'll see what I mean. Check it out.

The once a week training thing is for bodybuilding only. For functional strength training with weights, you want to do something like I do. I work out every 3 days, always working the whole body. Emphasizing Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Power clean, overhead press, and rows or chins. Throw in biceps, calves, and ab work at the end if you like. Lots of sets but keep reps between 3-7 so that you don't lose concentration. Sometimes emphasize volume and sometimes intensity (lifting close to your max for a given rep range). Never go to failure in an exercise more than once a week. Hope that helps

If you do high volume you'll have to wait longer between training sessions.

If you do lower volume you can train more often.

Some powerlifters train with high weights and low reps and a few sets and train the same lift almost every day.

Some bodybuilders train high volume for each muscle group with many reps and sets and they can only do it once a week.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The vast Martial Arts wasteland of central US
    Ditto on what other guys said--and some more advice.

If your not a professional athlete, or don't have lots of free time, I'd suggest you not stick to the 2 body parts per week program. No need to read the rest of this post if you do have lots of free time on your hands. Heck you could even do 3-4X per week then.(oh, to dream such a dream!)

But--in practice (for us poor working sods, that is), the frequency depends upon, among other things, personal time constraints.

If I plan to train ( lift) 2X per week, but miss one work out every week due to job, school, family, lack of facilities, etc, the exercise program will NOT be effective because probably the most important principles for any type of training are;

a. consistency. Consistancy means working the body part regulary--that is peforming the same exercise ( or approximatyelty the same one) each session. You are trying to get the muscle to adapt.

b. overload. Over load meaning being able to improve. [ By increasing weight or sets/reps or both]

W/o a consistent program, that fits your realistic time schedule, you will go nowhere. For example, flies will help your bench press wieghts, but flies alone will not make the bench press wieghts increase. If you don't have time to do flies and bench press, then stick only with bench press. Variety does help, but that's another topic.

W/o a frequency that allows for overload, you will go nowhere. For improvement, there must be a period of recovery. But, wait too long and the benfit is dimished. After about 8 days, the training effect of the last workout has been lost.

As another post suggested--don't stick to any "program". Instead, use a frequency that realistically works for you and allows for consistency and improvement. 2X per week is a good guideline, but it's only a guideline.

Here is what works for me. This is much less than optimal. I can make slow gains and complete it w/o causing much conflict with other commitments.

Full body workout every 2 to 3 days, 4 to 5 sets, 2 to 4 exercises per muscle/group. Run/aerobics every 2 to 3 days. Will do lifts/ aerobics same day (a.m. vs. p.m) or one after the other if missed one of the previous days to fit it all in. Almost always rest Sunday (church, family), sometimes full body work out. Never > 4 days recovery between any activity. Will lift/run even if not recoverd so can fit it all in. On occasion, if a rest days comes up about 30 mins worth of power lifts. Will take time off if feeling overtrained. Take 5 days off every 10 weeks and start a new cycle.

train

i like as much as time allows but i always jump rope or so fast martial arts in between sets, and lots of finger push ups for good grip or mantis claws

Quote Originally Posted by fa_jing
    The once a week training thing is for bodybuilding only.
    That is absolute Cr*p. I train 2 in 3 days Using mainly isolation exersises, working each muscle once every 6-8 days.

Its not just for body building, this is the fastest way to build strength. I understand what ppl are saying, "its not practical strength" What they mean is, The new muscle may restrict movement and slow me down. This may be true, But it just mean you must train and strech more.

You dont train fast kicking and internal forms at the same time. Just think of flexibility and strength training as two diffrent parts of your training

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

Talking

I know what you mean by not having time thats one of the main reason i do muscle group splits as opposed to doing total body work outs.
    by doing splits your only in the gym around 30mins or so and thats doing around 12sets per body part 4different exercises* 3 sets as opposed to full body workouts that take 1hour 30mins or more doing only 9sets or less per body part.
    I agree that if you train full body 2or 3 per week you will get fitter than splits but you should be getting fitter training MA, splits give you more time to do that and i find less fatiging and i think you get just as strong.
    Its just there is so many ppl on both sides e.g skip la cour trains only 1 per week(muscle group) where as keven levern and others train twice (and he is on the gas ) as opposed to la cour.
    Its good to get some mortals opinions lmao.

The problem is that your metabolism can't prosses enough protien to cope with you doing a full dody workout. It can only heal 30% of your muscles, so If you do a full body workout 3times a week, your loosing out of 70% of your potential.

If your going to do 3 workouts a week you'll get stronger so mach faster to do this:- workout 1 - push = pecks, tris, delts
    2 - pull = lats, traps, bis, core
    3 - legs = hams, quads, gas, sol, glutes, tibs

this way you would heal properly and gain strength at a much faster pace.

I understand that some ppl just enjoy having a workout and dont do it for the gains in strength.

As for fittness, thats Crazy, you dont get fit and strong at the same time. All this body pump stuff is good, but if your serious you gotta seperate them. When "getting fit" your working your heart to make it stronger, But you need your heart to be at its best when lifting weights. If you do them at the same time your not gotta be able to lift as much cos you wont have the energy.

If you want to get fit then run, swim, box, skip do whatever you want but keep it seperate from your weight training cos they will both hinder the others potential.

News

Ive got news for you guys, the body remembers. if you concentrate on slow movements for extended periods without snapping into high speed moves in between you might increase strength for lifting weights but most of us dont have that as the end goal. do lots of slow moves and you will slow down gradually because you are training muscle memory into those slow powerful moves.

Fighting is very anaerobic, so exahusting the lungs and heart with a burst of technique or jump rope then grabbing heavy weights and busting out a set simulates the rigors of the fight. say what you will about recovery, but training one hundred to one thousand punches a day every day is much better for the fighter (not the fr eaking body builder)
    i do agree on the split of body parts entirely

Since my school is at a full service gym i have seen true results of this type of training.

remember though to each his own.

Got some news for you, Sifu Darkfist - the body DOESN'T rememer, the brain does.

I dont think going slow would help too much, if at all. And even if it did, your time would be much better spent actually lifting weights, or training and streching.

I just explane something about lifting heavy...

You only ever have x amount of muscle fibers, lets just say its 100 to make it easy. the muscle fibers only work On, or Off, there is no in between.

When you lift your arm u'll use 10 fibers. When you lift a brick you use 50 fibers, and when you lift the full max your using every fiber in your body.

So you see, if you do 50 pushups your not using the whole muscle. By lifting weights you can gain your full potential.

I do know what I'm talking about, My girlfriend is a level 3 NVQ Gym instructer and my best mate has a BA in Gym Based Exersise. And im double checking this against there book before I post.

Everyones body is a bit different, but basically I feel the best i ever have with what i do now. I only take two days off of lifting a week. I normally start off after a brief warmup with some dynamic lifts of plyos. After that i do a little of targeting a certain area in my body, normally mixed up with some core and isometric exercises. After this, given the time i will try to do some cardio immediately after, if not possible, later in the day i'll do some interval cardio.

I'm not saying this program is good for anyone but me, but i feel great, and i feel i'm gaining stength and speed.
    Bless you

Thats a fairly good.

cardio is really important after weight training cos you need a the blood to surge round your muscles to wash away the lactic acid witch is a bi-product of ATP energy. If you dont you'll end up getting knots in you muscles and it will tickle like hell when you get a massage!!!