Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: weight training frequency. how much?

So you are agreeing with what im saying then?

cos Chief fox seems to think that strength training and conditioning your body is bad for your martial art.

I know being stronger is not gonna help with "blocking" attacks, but it does make other things easyer.
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

A lot of martial arts skills require strength. Grappling, blocking shots/takedowns.
    everyone has a different approach though, what ever is right for them they can do
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by manofkent
    So you are agreeing with what im saying then?

cos Chief fox seems to think that strength training and conditioning your body is bad for your martial art.

I know being stronger is not gonna help with "blocking" attacks, but it does make other things easyer.
    I think we are on the same track but because we are on an internet discussion board we are maybe not seeing eye to eye.

I am all for strength training. I strength train in one form or another 5 or 6 days a week.

I am not in favor of the typical break the workout down by body part with isolation exercises routine. This, I feel, is more of a body building workout. IMO a body building workout is NOT the optimum strength training routine for anyone involved in martial arts.

I think that functional exercises are better for martial arts. Examples of the functional exercises would be , the crossfit workout, clubbell work, kettlebell work, olympic style lifts, plyometric work, and sprints. Stuff like that.

Body building is very popular right now. Thanks to programs like Body for Life and such. This type of workout is fine for a person who wants to look good in the mirror. But for people who are involved in sports, I believe that a body building routine is not best.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    I think we are on the same track but because we are on an internet discussion board we are maybe not seeing eye to eye.

I am all for strength training. I strength train in one form or another 5 or 6 days a week.

I am not in favor of the typical break the workout down by body part with isolation exercises routine. This, I feel, is more of a body building workout. IMO a body building workout is NOT the optimum strength training routine for anyone involved in martial arts.

I think that functional exercises are better for martial arts. Examples of the functional exercises would be , the crossfit workout, clubbell work, kettlebell work, olympic style lifts, plyometric work, and sprints. Stuff like that.

Body building is very popular right now. Thanks to programs like Body for Life and such. This type of workout is fine for a person who wants to look good in the mirror. But for people who are involved in sports, I believe that a body building routine is not best.

Just my opinion.
    I agree with your opinion.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Let me respond to all of you and say that, if you saw my lifting routine, you would probably say i was way overtraining (as most people do). Ill try to get it scanned for you guys just so you can flame on me.

I do have my weekly workout routine that I do when boxing (which i havent done in a few months because football just ended).

(Monday Wednesday, Friday)
    Run 2-4 miles 4:30am
    Eat Breakfast (one cup dry wheaties) 5:00am
    shower, go to school 7:00am
    eat one protein bar 8:00am
    Eat one protein bar 11:00pm
    Eat one protein bar 2:00pm
    Go to the boxing gym 3:00-7:00pm
    Warm up: stretches, 50pushups, jumping jacks, squat thrusts
    Shadow box:5rounds 2 weighted
    Heavy bag:3-4 rounds
    Double end bag:3 rounds
    Speed bag:3 rounds
    Spar: 5-10 rounds
    Cooldown: 1000-1500 situps, russian twists till failure, leg lifts, etc. etc., have someone throw a med ball at my stomach.
    (one round is 3 minutes work one minute rest)
    eat one protein bar 7:00
    Go to other gym to lift 7:30-10:30
    Dont feel like reciting the tons of different lifts i do. I focus on forearms alot more than most people do.
    eat dinner (chicken fish shrimp etc. low fat high protein)10:45
    Run for 30 minutes
    sleep 11:30

(Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
    same food schedule
    No lifting
    No boxing
    on these days i do alot of cardio and abdominal work
    lots of running and biking

(sunday) rest

I do get fruits and veggies...dont worry.

If anyone would like to see my lifting sched. just ask, its pretty good.

I do abs every day
    3x15situp twists
    3x15leg lifts
    3x15kneedraws
    3x15frog kicks
    3x15side bends@60lbs
    3x100 waist twists
    I add more depending on what i feel like doing, but this is my minimum for abs everyday.

Ive been told that im overtraining and not getting enough sleep but ive been on this schedule for a while now and have more energy than ever. Cant argue with that!!!

This was posted on a boxing forum by me a while back. Im pretty new to martial arts, but have always been very interested and read alot, which is what i do with everything. I believe in making myself the best i can be no matter what sacrifices have to be made. So you say I overtrain, I say you dont train enough.

Also in my lifting sched. there is leg workouts, but for some reason or another, i never did them. So I am trying to focus on more legs now so i can build up a stronger base.

And wow looking back at this i cant believe i did so much....i realise im getting lazy. I need to get back into it. Dmn football... i dont think im playing next year, as id like to focus on fighting arts. Something that is actually useful
    Speed is the essence of power~Trey

www.wutangbrunswick.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://myspace-693.vo.llnwd.net/0018...87178693_m.jpg
    http://myspace-698.vo.llnwd.net/0021...18999698_m.jpg
    ^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^
    PICTURE OF ME HALF NAKED!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    Ive got news for you guys, the body remembers. if you concentrate on slow movements for extended periods without snapping into high speed moves in between you might increase strength for lifting weights but most of us dont have that as the end goal. do lots of slow moves and you will slow down gradually because you are training muscle memory into those slow powerful moves.

Fighting is very anaerobic, so exahusting the lungs and heart with a burst of technique or jump rope then grabbing heavy weights and busting out a set simulates the rigors of the fight. say what you will about recovery, but training one hundred to one thousand punches a day every day is much better for the fighter (not the fr eaking body builder)
    i do agree on the split of body parts entirely

Since my school is at a full service gym i have seen true results of this type of training.

remember though to each his own.

Im going to have to agree with darkfist on this one, and heres why.

The average person has approximately 60 percent fast muscle fiber and 40 percent slow-twitch fiber (type I). There can be swings in fiber composition, but basically, we all have three types of muscle fiber that need to be trained.

The fast-twitch muscle actually has two types of fiber, fast and super fast. The fast muscle (what the researchers call IIa) moves 5 times faster than the slow muscle, and the super-fast (called IIx) moves 10 times faster than the slow muscle fiber.

Sprinters have higher percentages of the super-fast (IIx). Endurance trained individuals have more slow muscle fiber (type I).

While we are born with slightly different muscle composition, the point is, super fast muscle can be developed if exercised properly. And fast-muscle fiber should be developed because this type of muscle opens a new world of benefits from anaerobic sprinting types of exercise.

Researchers show that anaerobic exercise (short, quick-burst, that get you winded fast) is the type of fitness training that increases exercise-induced growth hormone. And growth hormone is, the most powerful body fat-reducing, muscle-toning, anti-aging agent known in science.

Without getting too technical, these different muscle fibers, obviously respond differently in accordance to the way you train them. Therefor they in essence 'remember' What they need to do in order to complete a task more efficiently the next time it needs to be done.

www.wutangbrunswick.com

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^

Oh, i almost forgot, the above post was based on memory alone, so if you guys want to check up on it and see if what i said is right, go ahead. I dont exactly have the time or will to check my answers.

www.wutangbrunswick.com

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^

Talking

People who have good genitices have more fast twitch fibers dont they?
    people who are hard gainers have more slow twitch fibers.
    Trey you must be 1 fit dude with that routine. wow
    do you have trouble bulking up with all that cardio?
    You go to school as well, you must have a good after school job to be able to afford all the protein bars lol.
    hope you dont burn your self out .
    good luck with the ma training do you think you can fit it in? lol

Quote Originally Posted by n.mitch
    People who have good genitices have more fast twitch fibers dont they?
    people who are hard gainers have more slow twitch fibers.
    Trey you must be 1 fit dude with that routine. wow
    do you have trouble bulking up with all that cardio?
    You go to school as well, you must have a good after school job to be able to afford all the protein bars lol.
    hope you dont burn your self out .
    good luck with the ma training do you think you can fit it in? lol
    To your first question, i believe i said that the amounts of different muscle fiber can vary from person to person.

Well there is a pic of me on my sig you can judge if im fit for yourself lol.

I do not want to bulk up, i want to stay lean and fast, not big and bulky.

I just got a job this week actually. I only work saturday and sunday mornings.

Ill definately have time for MA. I love it so much, more so than boxing.

www.wutangbrunswick.com

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    Some powerlifters train with high weights and low reps and a few sets and train the same lift almost every day.
    I like this IronFist character. He knows what he's talking about .
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

^ Cheers, mate.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    I'd recommend a program like the crossfit workout (http://www.crossfit.com. Check it out.
    this looks like exactly what i have been looking for.

would you mind tossing me a little more info via reply, pm, email before i throw down 20 bucks on it? like what you typically do in a week or something. i understand it says routine is the enemy, but theres got to be some standard to fit around time constraints and what not even if the activities are always changing. i just didnt see any way of measuring your progression on the site ... im assuming thats what they want you to subscribe to the journal for.
    where's my beer?

Trey, you're not over training. You have rest or active rest four days a week.

Gotta tell you that the sleep thing is going to catch up with you though. It's not going to happen today or tomorrow - it's a gradual wearing down thing.

For the record, if you are doing a ton of different lifts in the gym, you aren't using your time wisely. I don't doubt your dedication or your conditioning - I'm just telling you that there are better ways to get your lifting done - and that will also yield more benefits.

Focus on total body lifts and compound movements. You'll get much stronger, faster, and in ways that are better for what you do.

Just my two cents.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Good advice merryprankster, and i must agree with you. I do perform compound and olympic type lifts, and I do realize how important these are for overall strength and muscle stability, (especially in the core).

www.wutangbrunswick.com

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^

Trey, then my apologies.

Oly and compound lifts take so much out of you that I made an assumption that if you are doing a lot of different exercises then you must be doing bodybuilding style splits.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli