Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: weight training frequency. how much?

No apology needed. I usually tend to do those types of exercises at the end or toward the end of a work out.
    Speed is the essence of power~Trey

www.wutangbrunswick.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://myspace-693.vo.llnwd.net/0018...87178693_m.jpg
    http://myspace-698.vo.llnwd.net/0021...18999698_m.jpg
    ^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^
    PICTURE OF ME HALF NAKED!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    Let me respond to all of you and say that, if you saw my lifting routine, you would probably say i was way overtraining (as most people do). Ill try to get it scanned for you guys just so you can flame on me.

I do have my weekly workout routine that I do when boxing (which i havent done in a few months because football just ended).

(Monday Wednesday, Friday)
    Run 2-4 miles 4:30am
    Eat Breakfast (one cup dry wheaties) 5:00am
    shower, go to school 7:00am
    eat one protein bar 8:00am
    Eat one protein bar 11:00pm
    Eat one protein bar 2:00pm
    Go to the boxing gym 3:00-7:00pm
    Warm up: stretches, 50pushups, jumping jacks, squat thrusts
    Shadow box:5rounds 2 weighted
    Heavy bag:3-4 rounds
    Double end bag:3 rounds
    Speed bag:3 rounds
    Spar: 5-10 rounds
    Cooldown: 1000-1500 situps, russian twists till failure, leg lifts, etc. etc., have someone throw a med ball at my stomach.
    (one round is 3 minutes work one minute rest)
    eat one protein bar 7:00
    Go to other gym to lift 7:30-10:30
    Dont feel like reciting the tons of different lifts i do. I focus on forearms alot more than most people do.
    eat dinner (chicken fish shrimp etc. low fat high protein)10:45
    Run for 30 minutes
    sleep 11:30

(Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
    same food schedule
    No lifting
    No boxing
    on these days i do alot of cardio and abdominal work
    lots of running and biking

(sunday) rest

I do get fruits and veggies...dont worry.

If anyone would like to see my lifting sched. just ask, its pretty good.

I do abs every day
    3x15situp twists
    3x15leg lifts
    3x15kneedraws
    3x15frog kicks
    3x15side bends@60lbs
    3x100 waist twists
    I add more depending on what i feel like doing, but this is my minimum for abs everyday.

Ive been told that im overtraining and not getting enough sleep but ive been on this schedule for a while now and have more energy than ever. Cant argue with that!!!

This was posted on a boxing forum by me a while back. Im pretty new to martial arts, but have always been very interested and read alot, which is what i do with everything. I believe in making myself the best i can be no matter what sacrifices have to be made. So you say I overtrain, I say you dont train enough.

Also in my lifting sched. there is leg workouts, but for some reason or another, i never did them. So I am trying to focus on more legs now so i can build up a stronger base.

And wow looking back at this i cant believe i did so much....i realise im getting lazy. I need to get back into it. Dmn football... i dont think im playing next year, as id like to focus on fighting arts. Something that is actually useful
    Haven't read all of this thread yet, but this is not overtraining at all.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Lifting for three hours per workout, three days per week is overtraining. Unless you want to stay skinny... or use streoids... but in either case you could still make your workout more efficent, and get better results, by training less.

But then you know this.

Touch to say if it's overtraining. The weight training would certainly be an x factor to push you over the edge as would lack of sleep.

yeah tell Bruce Lee or other top martial artist that weight lifting is pointless, they'll just laugh at you.

I started lifting weights last year and I don't do it consistent, but I do it enough and it made my kung fu way better. Especially if you weight lift along-side with doing kung fu workouts, your pretty much good to go.

How is push up better than bench press? It's almost the same technique!

Run 2-4 miles 4:30am
    Run for 30 minutes
    sleep 11:30
    Even if you weren't working out that's still not enough sleep.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

resources

These might help:
    Periodization Training For Sports by Tudor Bompa
    Modern Trends In Strength Training by Charles Poliquin- this is great
    Supertraining by Mel Siff
    Articles by Ian King
    Articles by Charles Staley

One interesting idea in all the above is that most training time could be used specifically doing kungfu and not spending hours in the gym lifting weights
    Pilgrim

My weight training

Hi, I'm new here

I've been practicing Martial Arts for many years, I initially started with Kung Fu using a mixed blend. As I got older I began to look into weight training & found that the best way is to use greater repetitions with lighter weights but seldom trained to failure.

Size or 'being big' isn't the objective as much as being hard. In fact, too much size is a disadvantage so I basically use lighter weights & as many as 100 reps. One has to explore by experimenting. Sometimes I'd lift a mere 10 kg some 50 - 100 times. However, the weight training process can be boring at times with so many reps. The best thing to do is to combine weight-lifting with other excercises so as not to lose track.

Quote Originally Posted by wind draft
    yeah tell Bruce Lee or other top martial artist that weight lifting is pointless, they'll just laugh at you.
    I hate to be the one to tell you dude, but Bruce Lee is dead. He died a long time ago.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Quote Originally Posted by Tallgeese
    As I got older I began to look into weight training & found that the best way is to use greater repetitions with lighter weights but seldom trained to failure.
    Did you try the opposite - fewer reps with heavier weights? Didn't think so.
    Size or 'being big' isn't the objective as much as being hard. In fact, too much size is a disadvantage so I basically use lighter weights & as many as 100 reps.
    And what makes one big? Do few sets of few reps and you won't get big. But you knew that right, from your learning over the years?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

In reply to : Toby :I hate to be the one to tell you dude, but Bruce Lee is dead. He died a long time ago.

No Sh*T smarta$$.. I was making a statement, because some other guy say weight lifting was not good and body exercises with high reps are better and all I say was Bruce Lee AND OTHER PRO MARTIAL ARTIST LIFT WEIGHTS.

So before being a smarta$$ please read the other sh*t

^ Whoa, tough guy. You were talking about telling Bruce Lee in the present tense thus implying he was still alive. So before YOU start being a "smarta$$," get YOUR "sh*t" together, and by "sh*t" I mean "grammar."

Size or 'being big' isn't the objective as much as being hard. In fact, too much size is a disadvantage so I basically use lighter weights & as many as 100 reps.
    What do you mean "being hard?" You mean physically hard?

Don't be too concerned about getting big. Developing big muscles is very difficult and, unless you are a genetic freak, requires a specific combination of weightlifting regimen, diet, sleep, and rest. There are people who spend years in the gym trying to "get big," who cannot do it, so I don't think you need to be worried about it accidently happening because you lift a few heavy weights. And even if you happened to have a perfect bodybuilder weightlifting program, which you don't, without eating like a bodybuilder, you're not going to get big.

One has to explore by experimenting. Sometimes I'd lift a mere 10 kg some 50 - 100 times. However, the weight training process can be boring at times with so many reps. The best thing to do is to combine weight-lifting with other excercises so as not to lose track.
    No offence, but lifting weights for 50-100 reps is pretty useless. The only thing you're developing is the endurance to do that lift for 50-100 reps. You're not increasing your strength with a weight that is so low you can do 50 reps with it. Now, obviously you have the motivation if you're doing sets of 50, so you could probably get good results if you had a decent training program.

Now, I'm not sure about "being hard," but I assume you mean so you can take a punch or whatever. I know some fat guys who are very soft who can take hard punches Anyway, I think you should look into a strength developing program. It is entirely possible to become VERY strong without gaining much size at all. Look at elite powerlifters who can deadlift 500lbs but who only weigh 130lbs; they are insanely strong and, obviously, aren't very big since they only weigh 130lbs. They're lifting over 3 times their bodyweight, which is amazing.

The way to develop strength without size is to do few sets of low reps with heavy weights and fairly long rest between your sets. Whereas a bodybuilder might do 6 sets of with a weight heavy enough that he can only do 10 reps, and rest 1 minute between each set, a powerlifter or strength athlete might only do 2 sets of 5 with a weight heavy enough that he can only do 6 reps (so he would be stopping before failure in this case), and might rest 5 minutes between each set. Another advantage of training for raw strength is that, often, it is counterproductive to train to failure, and is there fore safer and less painful Strength gains come primarily from neurological adaptation and not from muscle growth, and so the training is designed with that in mind.

Anyway, let us know if you're interested. But I assure you that, regardless of your goals, you don't need to be doing sets of 50-100 unless you're planning on entering a contest where you'll be judged on how many reps you can do.
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-02-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wind draft
    A bunch of abusive &#115;hit
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Just thought you might appreciate the heads up on Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    The way to develop strength without size is to do few sets of low reps with heavy weights and fairly long rest between your sets ... a powerlifter or strength athlete might only do 2 sets of 5 with a weight heavy enough that he can only do 6 reps ...
    Now we're talking.

Finally got the 400 DL today - 402.34lb. Decent form, felt strong.