Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Tai Shing Pek Kwar

Questions about Tai Shing Pek Kwar

Well we all know pek kwar has 100+ forms and tai shing has 5 forms; but how many forms do tai shing pek kwar have?

ok the entire system probably has a little less than 200 forms. But the current holder of the system Sifu Chan Sau Chung only knows 128 forms. Apparently there used to be a guy that knows 150 forms, but he passed away and those forms died with him.

so after they fused tai shing (5) forms and pek kwar (100+ forms mayb 200) you're saying "tai shing pek kwar" has 120-150 ish forms? shouldn't it be far less? and the forms he learned aren't they either tai shing or pek kwar.. tai shing pek kwar is it's own system

So with "only" 128 forms, how are his applications? I have heard he does not teach any!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

He had applications on the video I bought... I wouldn't imagine he'd teach application to video students and not personal students

I studied Pek Gwa with Y C Wong, he learned it from Gan Duk Hoi, who is Chan Sau Chung's teacher. Gan Duk Hoi said there are only 3 Pek Gwa hand forms, a broadswrod and a spear. There are the 5 monkey forms and a "synthetic" monkey with all 5 characteristics. Teh rest of "Dai Sing Pek Gwa Myuhn" is actually Black Tiger, which Gan Duk Hoi learned from his father-in-law...

Still, I never heard there were more than 100 forms. I had a training brother studying with Chan Sau Chung in HK in teh 1980's and there were not that many forms THEN....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thanks for showing me the light sifu ross you da MAN! is it possible for you to name the forms?? .__. since .. i'm really really curious

The Pek Gwa hand sets are Pek Gwa fist, Pek Gwa palm and Pek Gwa leg... I never learned the spear or broadsword and don't even know the names. Sorry

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

ohhh ok i misunderstood what you meant then. I stand corrected. Ya lkfmdc is right. There are 3 fist forms, which are Pek kwar 1, 2, 3. Apparently the 3rd one is where most of the fighting techniques are hidden. I thought your question was how many forms does tai shing pek kwar have in total...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    Teh rest of "Dai Sing Pek Gwa Myuhn" is actually Black Tiger, which Gan Duk Hoi learned from his father-in-law...

Hmmm, I'd heard that also, but wasn't sure if it were true or rumor. Ross do you happen to have a name on the father in law? It's funny because we have alot of Monkey in Black Tiger, that always kinda surprised me.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

sifu ross you have stated "There are the 5 monkey forms and a "synthetic" monkey with all 5 characteristics." are the 5 monkey forms lost, drunken, wood, stone, and tall? do you kno the name o the "synthetic" one or you have no idea? thanks

Yup, the five monkey shapes are tall, wood, stone, lost and drunken... teh synthetic one I forget the name, it was one of the ones my si-hing learned in HK under Chan Sau Chung, pretty basic, but since you don't even smell the real 5 for years, he was anxious to learn it

Gan Duk Hoi's father-in-law's name is probably buried in Chan Sau Chung's little red book.... that could take a while to find, go through and get an answer... oh, that book is the one fake Paulie Zink had translated and ripped off word for word over the past few years. Ironiclly, it was my Si-Hing who gave Zink the book!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    Gan Duk Hoi's father-in-law's name is probably buried in Chan Sau Chung's little red book.... that could take a while to find, go through and get an answer... oh, that book is the one fake Paulie Zink had translated and ripped off word for word over the past few years. Ironiclly, it was my Si-Hing who gave Zink the book!

Mr. Ross,

Do you know if Y.C. Wong knows any of the Black Tiger forms? And if so, did you ever learn any of the Black Tiger forms from him?

Thanks for answering my question also, i might just buy Zinks book now to find out that info.LOL

I know it has to be cheeper than CSC's

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Tai Shing Pek Kwar,

I know GM Chan Sau Chung very well, will see him this new years in Hong Kong, and I have trained with his student Master Chow Keung, who I believe to be an incredible Martist...

They call the different hand sets Pek kwar road 1, 2 & 3... I know both 2 and 3...

They also have a Dun Da (Short Strike), much different then Bak Siu Lum's... Has that Pek Kwar flare, jumping and turning gwa-choy pek-choys... very powerfull...

The sword is called simply "Pek Kwar Dahn Do", GM Kwan Tak Hoi taught this set to GM Ku Yu Jerng, that is why most Northern Shaolin schools have this set also...

I also have seen the Hak Fu Moon performed several times, looks nothing like hung gar, to me it resembles Pek Kwar more with the direction changes similar to Pek Kwar road 3...

I also know a set called Lin Wan Cheung (continuos spear)... They also have a Seh Mah Cheung (snake head spear)...

I know a set from them called Serng Gahn (double metal rods)...

To me, they all seem to have similar movements based from the same system...

I will ask more questions while in Hong Kong, I will be staying with the monkey guys for 2 weeks...

check out this site for info, you must read chinese though...

www.ck-kungfu.com

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Sow Choy
    I also have seen the Hak Fu Moon performed several times, looks nothing like hung gar, to me it resembles Pek Kwar more with the direction changes similar to Pek Kwar road 3...

Joe

Contrary to popular belief, outside of a few forms and techniques Hak Fu Muhn looks "NOTHING" like Hung Kuen (Hung Gar). We don't even use fu jow (tiger claw) that much within Black Tiger like most would think. Most ppl when they see Hak Fu Muhn probably would never guess that's what they're seeing. Outside of a few known Black Tiger sets most ppl would not know Black Tiger if you showed them. Thus the problem with soooo many ppl claiming it.

I'm still interested in finding out how Monkey found it's way into Black Tiger though...We have some distinct forms within BT not just a few techniques or mimicking.

Joe,

What do you mean by "it resembles Pek Kwar more with the direction changes similar to Pek Kwar road 3..."????? I don't think i've ever seen Pek Kwar road 3, so i'm a bit curious.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 11-01-2005 at 11:57 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun