Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Tai Shing Pek Kwar

Hak Fu Kuen?

I'd be interested in hearing about the Black Tiger Fist and Ye long Fist sets. We have a Ye Fu Kuen (night tiger fist) set.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 06-14-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Kan Tak Hoi's wive learned black tiger and somewhere along the lines it was added to the list.

I believe the cat fist is also from Hak Fu Kuen.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Kan Tak Hoi's wive learned black tiger and somewhere along the lines it was added to the list.

I believe the cat fist is also from Hak Fu Kuen.

Do you happen to know the wifes name?

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Dont know. I will find out for you.
    得 心 應 手

chow keungs profile on wavingclouds. good list of forms he teaches. http://www.wavingclouds.com/artists_hk.htm

*click on chow keung on the right

man.. he should so make videos on all his monkey forms .. and learn the last 2 i dun c myself travellin 2 hong kong to learn x[

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    Do you happen to know the wifes name?
    Mrs Kan Duk Hoi

It's in his book, now I have to find the book, under the bed? In teh attic? Darn
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Tai Shing Pek Kwar is a beautiful art. I learned Duan Lian Quan as a child. It is a very fun style.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Mrs Kan Duk Hoi

It's in his book, now I have to find the book, under the bed? In teh attic? Darn

You had me for a second LOL

If anyone can find the name it would help me trace back through the lineage. I knew there was Black Tiger within TSPK, just that i've never seen it. I haven't seen any of the monkey forms, except what was posted on Youtube. I'm sure if it was added to TSPK, it's prolly changed a bit from what we have.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Nope, no name. The name wasnt that important I hear.

Anyways, ChinoXL, Sifu Chow will be visiting the USA in October this year. So far he knows he will be in both Florida and Seattle, but he is concidering visiting NY if he can get together more people who are interested in a workshop / seminar. If you want to get more info or set up a class, contact Sifu Joe Keit (sow choy on this forum) at www.leekoonhungkungfu.com. Sifu Chow will also be visiting Canada during that same time. He left South Africa this week and returned to HK. He will be in Thailand next month, Europe the month after that and then USA. Sifu Chow will be back in SA in January.
    得 心 應 手

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL View Post
    man.. he should so make videos on all his monkey forms .. and learn the last 2 i dun c myself travellin 2 hong kong to learn x[
    Classes in the northeast will start soon

I still don't see any reference to the Big-Six Fist. I'm wondering if perhaps I have a different translation of a classic TSPK form.

or that one is for inner chamber students only
    得 心 應 手

on Pek war broadsword...

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I studied Pek Gwa with Y C Wong, he learned it from Gan Duk Hoi, who is Chan Sau Chung's teacher. Gan Duk Hoi said there are only 3 Pek Gwa hand forms, a broadswrod and a spear. There are the 5 monkey forms and a "synthetic" monkey with all 5 characteristics. Teh rest of "Dai Sing Pek Gwa Myuhn" is actually Black Tiger, which Gan Duk Hoi learned from his father-in-law...

Still, I never heard there were more than 100 forms. I had a training brother studying with Chan Sau Chung in HK in teh 1980's and there were not that many forms THEN....
    Disclaimer- I am not a student of PW, nor do I claim to be an authority on the subject. These are my observations and opinions.

That being said, this subject is interesting to me, b/c I think it illustrates just how much overlap and influence you can see across many martial systems.

On the subject of Pekwar- IIRC PW (cantonese) = Piqua (mandarin) IIRC. Pekwar broadsword = piqua broadsword.

This form appears to be an archetypal BS form that has been incorporated in MULTIPLE kung fu systems, both northern and southern. I have seen ppl from the south- hung gar (including students of YC Wong), choy li fut, etc. as well as the north- shaolin/long fist, etc. perform this form. While the form usually retains the 'flavor' of the individual practitioner and style, it essentially retains the morphology of the original- i.e. it appears the same or very similar regardless, retaining similar patterns, positions/stances, etc..

To me, KF is like linquistics in many ways. While language can be very unique to a person, people or culture, it also retains a lot of similarities to what has influenced it. This is the way that linquists can track the migration of language and group language into families across the world. Thus, while lineages in KF can be unclear and muddied, the morphological elements found in what they do can give you some good insight into ancestry.

So, for example, coming back to something like this BS form- when I watch someone doing a form, I start watching for sequences & patterns, positions, stances, etc. and if you don't recognize what it is right away, you can get an idea of where it has drawn it's influences. Likewise, different systems and teachers have a flavor that is recognizable too.

This is something that I've noted across the board. People have borrowed/incorporated & modified a few forms for a long time. Kinda like tan tui or other iconic forms that get incorporated into a variety of systems, then are modified by the system/instructors individual flavor. So, when looking at a system that has 100's for forms, usually, there are very few that are solely unique to the system- that is to say completely original- and at some point material was borrowed, modified and incorporated.

It is my opinion that this is not bad at all- This is one reason that I really like the study of KF- such a broad, deep history and many influence when you look at it from these kind of perspective. It also illustrates the degree of crossover and influence all these arts have had on each other.

Just some thoughts. I hope this added to the discussion.

kan tak hoi stayed over at lam jo's place for a while and he gave him the PK broadsword.

We do the very same BS in Lee Koon Hung CLF, albeit with a LKH CLF flare. I saw the Bucksing guys also do this form too. I think it must have come from the Hung influence in HK.
    得 心 應 手