Thread: Fan Kong Chiao - "Pierce The Heavens" Kick

Fan Kong Chiao - "Pierce The Heavens" Kick

Does anyone practise this kick? Which style of mantis is it from? Is it a kick to the head?

http://www.pachitanglang.com/gallery/image01.htm

Any information would be great!

S
    Black Mantis

You can see in the Menu of the same page how it is applied. BTW we don't practice it, but it looks nice

I believe Su Yu Chang added this to his forms in order to pep them up a bit! Outside of him I have never seen this done by anyone.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Couldn't you imagine doing that kick on a board breaking competition? It would be awesome!
    There is nothing so stupid as the educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in.
    -Will Rogers

One of my guys breaks, got a great shot of him doing a trick that resembles this kick. Man I got come out of the stone-age and learn how to post up pics then maybe some clips.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Looks like a breakdancing move called an 'L - Kick'.....and is probably as impractical as using breakdancing for fighting

You can almost see the groin strike that you could perform.....

craig

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    there used to be a clip running around of Su Yu Chang doing 'Lian Jeet' and he finished the set with that kick.

I have a 'monkey' set from an old teacher that had a move like that but was mostly applied as a scissors body takedown a la Cung Le (but before Cung Le was out of diapers ) We learned to apply it with both hands on the ground, then one hand, then no hands...which sucked if you screwed your timing up.

I think you could count on maybe being succesful with that once, if that, in a fight but potentially a good sneak move from the ground.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Looks like a breakdancing move called an 'L - Kick'.....and is probably as impractical as using breakdancing for fighting

You can almost see the groin strike that you could perform.....

craig
    no. i think you're wrong. my breakdancing master called it a K - Kick.
    you obviously don't have the 'real deal' and should be ashamed of posting such drivel.

sorry, couldn't resist
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

feel free - dont resist

craig

btw - tell your mumma that ill bring the condoms next time

?????

pretty poor taste, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    I have a 'monkey' set from an old teacher that had a move like that but was mostly applied as a scissors body takedown a la Cung Le (but before Cung Le was out of diapers ) We learned to apply it with both hands on the ground, then one hand, then no hands...which sucked if you screwed your timing up.
    Sounds like some of our monkey sets. Of course I don't favor monkey and never took the time to try to learn any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Great visual Oso, you pulling off a monkey set. More likely should be categorized as the "king kong set". Just pulling your leg man, it is friday and I am in a good mood. Drinks and crablegs tonight!

Oso, are you not going to mention the "Southern Appalachian CMA tournament here? This is open to us Mantis guys right!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

yu shan, I'll show it to you next time. I can't get as low as my old teacher could but he is about your size so I didn't worry about looking exactly like him.

Wasn't going to crosspost. I've already got it on the main forum and it's on the calendar. I've emailed a few people directly and will email others.

It is certainly open to mantis peeps...all peeps. Including a division for other internal stylists besides Tai Chi people.

Blackmantis,

This kick is practiced in 8 Step Mantis. It is located in session four at the end of the form. We call this a bow/arrow kick in our style and not only is it a kick which comes underneath a persons jaw, is part of a take down movement. The intro to this kick is actually a jumping forward movement toward the opponent, twisting on the landing which puts your back (butt) toward the opponent. There is a quick rear kick with one leg and then you twist your body around to face upward as you do this kick immediately following with the other leg. (The key is to get your momentum up enough to raise up onto your one arm and keep the whole body straight like an arrow.) After this kick is the finish, which is another turn around to face away from the opponent once more doing a rear leg sweep going back to the original kicking leg. Amazingly this is all done in one smooth movment. This is a nice combination kick/takedown but it definitely takes practice. I believe that Master Su Yu Chang probably has the most perfect form in this kick if not the most beautiful. I also would like to mention that I have seen this kick done by one of Grandmaster Wei's students, Mr. Ernie Wu of Texas. He has a fantastic bow arrow kick and makes it look like a kick that we should all have been born with somehow. Making it look easy is the sign of a great kicking artist for sure! This kick is definitely something to work for for a unique and still effective kick. I personally believe that this kick requires all the skills of a martial artist and really can't be pulled off if one is lacking in any area of martial arts skill and knowledge.

I am not sure what form Master Su Yu Chang is doing or if he is just doing the kick as demo, but there are a lot of forms out there where this kick is probably used. I just mentioned this since it is included in our style of mantis.

Regards,
    Bokfu
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Kick

Considering Gm Su's speed i would definetely say he could use it in real fighting.
    I have trained it as well, however i would say once you get past a certain age it would be hard to be fast enough to get this one off. Bok has the discription of the kick right down to a science.