Thread: Video of the 1st Wisconsin Kuoshu Tourney

Video of the 1st Wisconsin Kuoshu Tourney

Here it is, the videoclip of the tournament we put on in May 2005.

We're working on getting the second one organzed and are shooting for May again (2006).

Hope you enjoy the video.

Thanks for all who participated!

http://www.zykfa.org/video/FirstWisconsin.wmv

USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

Count me in next year. Looks like it was fun!
    -Golden Arms-

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    who was the big guy in black fighting?

he was the best looking fighter of the lot.

congratulations on a succesful event.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hey GA!

Great to hear! I'll send you the info as soon as we have the date set.

Oso,

He's one of my guys named Robert Clark, he won the "Lei Tai Male Super Heavy" division this year at the USCKF event. Great fighter and great guy!

Thank you, maybe you could come up next year...

I'm afraid my fighting days are numbered, at least for the short term. Just got scheduled today for rotator cuff surgery the end of the month.

'super heavy' ??? good gawd, he must be bigger than the video shows.

I've only got one person in my very small school interested in Lei Tai...a woman at that. I'm going to try and get her a match next may in Charlotte at the CACMA event. How many women did you have at yours? How many women usually fight Lei Tai at the Nationals?

I'm working with CACMA to do a tourney here in Asheville in Feb. So, I will need to continue to support their events...it might be hard to make theirs in charlotte and then yours in the same month....I'll definitely keep it in mind.

We are going to be at the next USCKF event though for sure...next August isn't it?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

not bad at all.

if we keep seeing guys like yours stepping up to the plate maybe the "can kung fu be saved" threads will eventually die.
    where's my beer?

Oso,

Sorry to hear about your rotator cuff, I hope it's a speedy recovery.

Robert weighed-in at 196 Lbs

At our event we only had two women show up, both my students, both first year fighters, they had a good experience though. I would really like to get more women in our program kinda hard though. What's the weight of your student?

Please do, as soon as I have the date I'll send you the info, if you go to our site www.zykfa.org you can see the info for the tournament on the very last button on the side bar (Kuoshu Tornament Info), check it out and if you have any questions just let me know.

Great to hear that you'll be at the USCKF event next year! It will probably be on July 22nd, 23rd and 24th. Maybe we can get Golden Arms, Akhilleus, Ho Chun, (maybe I can drag Siu Hung too!) also and have a KFM get together.

Just let me know Oso!

they call 196 super heavy? or did he just decided to fight in that division? How tall is he then?

She is 140-ish. She's just been training 11 months or so at this point but has the luxury of being able to come to class 5-6 days a week so she's done well in a short period of time. I put her in the intermediate category last may in light contact and she beat 2 women w/ 3 and 4 years experience to take first. She'll fight light contact again in two weeks and again in Feb and then we'll change up to get ready for a Lei Tai match in May and the the USCKF nationals.

Is there a decent division of women for Lei Tai at the nationals? Let's definitely keep in touch between now and then and make sure we can get some women some fights....even if just 'demo' type.

I have another woman about the same size who could do well in Lei Tai but isn't mentally desirous of that level of contact.

I don't have any men who want to fight...freaking sucks. I've got two upper teens who do well in class and might be willing to try it but I think i'm gonna lose one to the military and the other to college when they get out of HS.

Hey Oso,

The way the USCKF divides their divisions is as follows:

Men

- Men's Light A weight division (under 55 kg - 121.25 lbs)

-Men's Middle C weight division (55.1 to 60 kg - 121.26 to 132.27 lbs)

-Men's Middle B weight division (60.1 to 65 kg - 132.28 to 143.30 lbs)

-Men's Middle A weight division (65.1 to 70 kg - 143.31 to 154.32 lbs )

-Men's Heavy C weight division (70.1 to 76 kg - 154.33 to 167.55 lbs )

-Men's Heavy B weight division (76.1 to 82 kg - 167.56 to 180.77 lbs)

-Men's Heavy A weight division (82.1 to 88 kg - 180.78 to 194 lbs)

-Men's Superheavy weight divison (88.1 to 94 kg - 194.1 to 207.44 lbs)

-Men's Infinite weight class (over 94.1 kg - 207.45 lbs)

Women

- Women's Light weight division (under 55 kg - 121.25 lbs)

-Women's Middle weight division (55.1 to 60 kg - 121.26 to 132.27 lbs)

-Women's Heavy weight division (60.1 to 65 kg - 132.28 to 143.30 lbs)

-Women's Infinite weight division (over 65 kg - 143.31 lbs)

At the USCKF event you have to fight in your appropriate weight division according to the official weigh-in. Robert is 6’4”.

The two women that fight are at 115lbs and the other 145lbs. The women’s division at the USCKF event has anywhere between 20-25 fighters each year. The lower weight divisions have more competitors as in the higher ones may only have 2-4 in a division.

It would be really great if you guys could come, it was a good experience for the women and it prepared them well for the USCKF event and they had a good time, you can ask Siu Hung, he came last year and had a great time plus he had some great fights too.

ahhh, metric as the primary classification...makes sense I guess.

seems a bit of a misnomer to call up to 208 'super heavy'. Judo and Jujitsu call that division 'light heavy' and 208+ as just 'heavy' (that's from memory, Seven or ST00 can correct any error)

of course, I could myself 'infinite' by way of those divisions...'infinite bear'.

I like that.

Ok. I'll definitely keep in touch as may approaches...if I can get my girls more fights than at the CACMA event, then I'll probably make the call to come up there.

Quote Originally Posted by SaekSan
    It would be really great if you guys could come, it was a good experience for the women and it prepared them well for the USCKF event and they had a good time, you can ask Siu Hung, he came last year and had a great time plus he had some great fights too.

It was a fantastic event.
    It really made me think, and inspired me to train harder. Win, lose, or draw, you and your students will only benefit from competing, plus the officiating and hospitality shown by Saeksan and his students is something you will appreciate. I will be there nomatter what in support of the event, and intend on competing again if I am able to as I am currently on the inured/reserve list . I also have a student who's ready to give it a try, and have gotten positive responses for attending from many other CMA peeps from all over the map. Hope to see you there.

sounds good.

distance is also a bit of a factor but I've put it on my calendar.

Siu Hung!

Thanks for the props man!

We'll have even more fun at the tournament next year, we'll get started soon. I'll call you after work tonight.

And of course the apres-lei tai (consisting of Brazilian BBQ and BEER)

Oso,

If you go to our site ( www.zykfa.org ) we have a message board just for the Kuoshu tournament, you (and others) are all welcome to join.