Thread: Training with a Staff..

Training with a Staff..

Hello,

does anyone know a good basic form/s for training with a staff?(and where i can view them) Have been told it improves (or can help to) improve fluidity/precision of other non specific movements, and i'm keen to get all the basics precise and correct..

would this help ?

any sites that could help?

cheers

I love staff training.

The basics would be spins and some basic strikes.

The idea of a baisc strike is the same concept as swinging a sledge hammer. To swing a sledge hammer you have one hand at the butt end and one hand up by the hammer head. As you swing, the hand at the hammer head slides down the handle generating more force for the strike.

A staff strike is the same principle with slightly different mechanics. Imagine you are standing in a horse stance with your staff out in front of you holding the staff with two hands, palms facing down, horrizontal to the ground.

Lets say you're going to do a horrizontal strike to the left.
    1. Slide your left hand out towards the end of the staff just like the butt end of the sledge hammer.
    2. As you begin your swing to the left your right hand will also slide just like on the sledge hammer handle.
    3. Hip rotation. Just like a punch, some power comes from your arm motions but most of your power comes from your hip rotation. You will end the strike in a bow stance.
    4. When you finish the swing your left hand will be at the end of the staff and your right will be at about the center.

Once you get this swing down you can do it to the left and right. The you can change the motion. Instead of just horizontal you can have more of a downward strike or upward strike. The sliding hands and the hip rotation are the key.

This is just one basic strike, there are lots of different spins, strikes, defflections and combinations.

Nothing can replace being taught by a qualified instructor but if you don't have an instructor why not pick up one of those Master kits from Martial Arts Mart like this one: http://www.martialartsmart.net/tckprgs210.html

Oh and here's a link to a video of me doing my staff set: LINK

Try watching some wushu staff videos on wushucentral.com. Pull short links out of the forms and practice them.

thanks for the reply, do have an instructor but am just impatient! as i only get two hours a week with him and wanted to include more weapons training in my home workout.

thanks again for the help

Quote Originally Posted by bean
    thanks for the reply, do have an instructor but am just impatient! as i only get two hours a week with him and wanted to include more weapons training in my home workout.

thanks again for the help
    I would say then just focus on basics like spins and strikes. When I was first learning staff I would go home every night and do spins for about 30 minutes.

I know all about being impatient. Hang in there and practice. It will eventually pay off for you.

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for The Art and Science of Staff Fighting Autographed by Joe Varady! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 12/22/2016.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

be one with staff. all form is manifestaion of intention... be your staff. express your staff... you are the staff.

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to Win!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our Winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive interview on KungFuMagazine.com

Walk Softly & Carry a Big Stick. READ Joe Varady on Staff Training and the Movies by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips