Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could weep - the beginning of the end...

Counterpoint?

In "New Martial Hero Magazine" p.8, there is a note that arguements concerning the birthplace of Tanglagnquan had been solved and that Yantai was now accepted "officially" as the birthplace of Tanglangquan. It was the Nov. issue of 2005, I think.

Anyone having information on this, I would really appreciate more information.

Libingshao
    Last edited by libingshao; 11-01-2005 at 02:05 PM.

N-

I am aware of their face saving ing mian zi and politeness, but even within my own Chinese family there is a benign indiffence (oxymoron, real yin yang). They do consider the martial arts as a part of the Chinese culture when it is brought up but if its never brought up, they are indifferent to its existence.

When I was in Beijing this summer, I trained every morning in my in-laws apartment courts---one of the elderly women (all are retired) brought over her grandson to watch---she kinda of wanted him to see an old relic of sorts---when I asked (he was about 10 or so) if he played---the response, "no way". He liked the leaping double kick I did (for fun) and I asked if he wanted to try---no! They watched me train a bit of baji and bagua for maybe another 10 minutes and went off on their way. Basketball is hot

You are correct about the association of martial arts with the uneducated---nowadays most country people are trying to make it to the city---anything but the country---I am sympathetic to that---its easy for someone comfortable with money, like myself, to take such a "lofty" view of the art.

I could probably add a few more stories of Chinese fathers (both Taiwanese and mainland) who played the marital arts, wanted their kids to learn, but submitted to the "little emperors" when they cried it was too hard---never get that reaction from piano or violin lessons regardless of how they squaked---I saw mothers rearrange their work schedules to insure that their kids got to their Saturday piano lessons---this ism't an over night experience---its been going on for years. However, no whining on my part--it simply is.

My initial reaction to the topic was that its not only what the Shaolin si has dome to the art, there are others promoting the traditional art to offset the monk's influence, but its the whole view of the now changing society. I am sure Qingdao and Yan Tai will have something to say about that. The best is yet to come as the preoccupation with making money becomes evermore obsessive.
    __________________________________________________ __

Didn't Yan Tai start to hold tournaments kind of in competition with Qingdao?
    Last edited by RAF; 11-01-2005 at 02:30 PM.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Recognition is but a hollow promise IMHO. It's like some one said I feel your pain (I recognize it) but keep hitting you on the palm with a ruler. Unless they take all of their so called Tanglang form out of the Shaolin Wushu curriculum; otherwise, it just another BS stunt. Now would they ever decree that? I think it's a huge lost of face on the government part. So don't bet you shorts on it, my friends.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

> In 1998, I had to sit through the martial arts demonstration at the Shaolin
    > Temple in Songshan and it made me sick---pure garbage. On the other hand, at
    > least Qingdao and Yan Tai are attempting to preserve the traditional martial art
    > of Taiji Meihua Pryaing Mantis--I wish Taiwan would wake up.

There are many reality reasons for the demotion of CMA in Taiwan where I grew up. Let me express what I saw the CMA problems in Taiwan.

1. Taiwan govenment never has and still don't have any interests in promote CMA. They are more interested in poilitics.

2. Like some people said here, Chinese parent would rather see their children plan piano and violin. Why? I have no idea. It's a curse. Most of Chinese kids stop playing piano once they have chance, like going to college. Chinese parents simply what to see their children follow their view and order. Most of the Chinese children are exactly like a copy of their parents. I think that is one of the bigger problem.

3. Chinese parents usually don't see the future in learning CMA. In Taiwan, CMA was treated as the lowest class people of the society. I know because I have been argueing pretty much all of my life with my dad about my CMA. I'm still practicing and I have no regret. Actually, I'm very proud of it.

4. Today, most of the performance are for modern wushu because they are flashy. Traditional CMA are simply not as flashy as modern wushu and the audience don't know better.

5. CMA people in Taiwan don't do advertisement, period. People who do adverstisement are usually not traditional.

Is there a cure for it? I don't know. But, people like my teacher is still teaching traditional CMA in taiwan. I'm still learning from my teacher every time I go back to Taiwan. My son is practicing traditional CMA. In our line, I think we are still going and trying to keep our tradition. I still have about a dozen of LF brothers under my teacher practicing CMA for more than 30 years in Taiwan. There are other systems like us in Taiwan too. We simply don't do advertisment. That does not mean we don't exist.

Personally, I don' t think CMA will be popular simply because it is not for everybody. It takes too much of sweat and blood and commitment to practice CMA. But, if every systems can have a few people continue their own lines, I think there are hopes in CMA.

The demotion of CMA has been a problem there since WWII. Modern wushu will still be there as logn as Chinese government keep promoting it. But, traditional CMA people has started coming out last 10 years. I have seen more and more people doing traditional CMA from China in public these day. Personally, I don't expect other people or government or agency to promote tradtional CMA. It is actually the job of the traditional CMA practioners like you and me here. If I can train myself better and teach and train my students better, then may be one or two or a few more students can carry my line. If I can make that happen, our LF line can carry own itself and our LF has hope. I believe the same situation with other traditional CMA systems.

Things are not as bad as it looks actually. Most people I talked to 10 years ago all thought martial art schools in northern Song Sang shaolin temple are real. Now, more and more people have realized they are just as fake as it can be. Money make wonders just like those schools around the temple. There is nothing we can stop that. But, if we can train more people with real skills, then the truth will show itself. And then traditional CMA will have it place in this world.

Cheers,

Nice post Robert.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Because of threads like this, there are hopes for us yet.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)