Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remedy for Excessive Sweating?

Remedy for Excessive Sweating?

Does anyone know of a remedy for excessive sweating of the palms, pits, butt, hands, and feet? Preferably a simple remedy and one that requires easy to obtain ingredients. I have very little knowledge of TCM, and unable to acquire any hard-to-find ingredients. Anyways, if you have any remedies, i'd appreciate you posting them here. Thanks!

Yikes!
    Is this an oily greasy sweat? Also overweighted? Sweat from forehead at resting? low activity level.

Or is it more like:
    low energy, weak voice, easy to catch cold, aversion to wind, sweats easily with exertion

well..

Well, it's not really an oily greasy sweat. more of a constant cold sweat. I am overweight, but not morbidly so. ( 194lbs 6'0) I guess i would call it a slightly oily sweat... but it's such that deoderent doesn't keep my armpits dry. No matter the temperature, im constantly sweating. Ive always been a sweaty kid, and i have had sweaty palms since kindergarten.

So i guess i'd go with number 1. It definately isnt a sickly thing. Low activity level yes. In fact, im sitting here right now and sweating up a storm...but not so much from my forehead as..other areas.
    Last edited by -disciple-; 11-02-2005 at 08:42 AM.

It is still kind of hard to tell what is going on with your pattern from the information. It is important to know if this is sweating due to underlying deficiency or due to excess like damp. Could also be mixed condition I would imagine. But the sweating issues since childhood is making me think there is some deficiency, but on the other hand there is overweightedness.

You say the sweat is cold. How does your body temp feel... cold, hot...are you warmer or colder than other people?

How is your thirst level.. for hots or cold? how much to you care to drink?
    There are other questions that could be asked, but I don't want to probe too much detail in a forum like this.

If you can describe a detailed picture of your tongue and pay attention to shape, color, tongue coat color and thickness, then that is helpful. Note the shape and if there are any cracks their location, scalloped edges etc.

there's a medical condition called hyperhidrosis in case you not aware of it. It's best to check with your doctor for advice on this.

the biomedical treatments for this look scary.. some at least...botox injection and surgical removal of portion sympathetic nerve.

For this kind of sweating, hyperhidrosis, I think astringent herbs are indicated for example wu wei zi:
    http://chinesetherapeutics.org/wuweizi.html

Well, I have been overweight since childhood, but like i said, im not exceptionally so. Im a very thirsty person, and i thirst for cold drinks alot of the time. I do urinate more frequently than the average person does. My body temperature feels the same as everyone elses i guess...i meen i get hot if it's hotter, or im doing physical activity, and I get cold if it's cold and such. I have asked my doctor about this before, a couple years ago, and she simply stated that i have "Over active sweat glands" Defficiency may very well be part of it, as i do not have the best and most regular diet in the world. I'll look at my tongue and get back to you on that later. Of the listed indications on the link you posted, i have these:

frequent urination, spontaneous sweating, night sweats, thirst, palpitation ( I think, sweating of the palms?) , insomnia.
    Last edited by -disciple-; 11-03-2005 at 08:49 AM.

I think Vikinggoddess nailed it with her recommendation of Wu Wei Zi - Schizandra fruit - available at most healthfood stores and herb shops. However, it should really be part of a formula tailored to your needs. Meanwhile, I would suggest perhaps starting your mornings with a cup of hot lemon water (maybe with a touch of honey) - sour astringes and can stop sweating.

As for your symptoms (palpitations, BTW, are irregularities in your heartbeat), they seem to point to the heart (mind you, this is from a TCM perspective, so pls take it with a grain of salt) - esp. the insomnia and night sweats. Given your thirst, I'd lean towards a yin-deficient state causing heart heat.

Maybe avoid spicy, greasy or sugary foods. Eat more veggies, fish and sour foods like lemon, lime, sour plums, etc.

Any of the other TCM folk have a perspective???

in health

herb ox

I prefer starting with simples rather than formulas. Start with one or two partner herbs, and then add in additional herbs as neccessary, especially for self-prescription.

I didn't want to bias you when I asked you to look at your tongue, but now that 'heart' is already out in the open.. how does the tip of your tongue look?

VKG -

would you recommend a tincture or decoction of wu wei zi? I guess my thinking was that 'laypersons' would probably not maintain a continuous regimen with the decoction, given WWZ's stong tastes. Perhaps pill form or tinctures? What are your thoughts, herb Goddess?

herb ox

My husband very much likes the taste of a strong Wu Wei zi decoction. I think that it is not so hard to buy a pound of it from herb-king.com and boil it up every other day, or even start out with a tea. Tincture avoid for sure if you have alcoholic tendency. I don't like processed pill forms. I always go for raw herbs.

So i how would i go about preparing and taking wu wei zi, as well as how much, etc. Keep in mind i know nothing of TCM and such. I do have access to weighing equipment and a mortar & pestle though, if necesasry. Information such as this is what i need. Formulas or recipes or whatever.

you might want to find a nice stone crockpot too....

They're best for boiling herbs!

ox

What the??

Sweating, heart paltitations. If you experience any numbing to tingling sensations in your limbs or aching on your left side. don't even log off the computer. Haul your butt to the doctor!
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Question Have you seen a cardiologist?

A cardiologist is a physician who is certified to treat problems of the cardiovascular system—the heart, arteries, and veins.