Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36 Chambers of Shaolin?

36 Chambers of Shaolin?

Heard someone who's supposed to be a Shaolin monk "rebuilt" the 36 chambers in Hungary... anyone know any details?

i wonder if the dude knows that was just a movie.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

actually it was 35 chambers until monk san te passed the requirments to be in charge of a chamber and suggested a 36th chamber in which he would spread shaolin martial arts to the world.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

That would be the Hungarian Shaolin Training Center

It's not really the '36 chambers' but everyone calls it that since that movie was such a classic of Shaolin, so whenever people see training 'chambers' it harkens back to the movie. Shi Xinghong, Shi Wanheng and Shi Deyang with Robert Lyons took an old barracks in Budapest and converted into a live-in training center, complete with specialized apparatus, ala 36 chambers. They've turned out some impressive students already, a very militant, hardcore group. We ran an article on it in our July Aug 2004 Shaolin Special: Shaolin Fist in Budapest: Monk Shi Xinghong at the Hungarian Shaolin Temple Trains Cops, Ex-Comrades and World Travelers By Martha Burr. We also carry many of Robert Lyons videos: How to Spar Against TKD, How to Spar Against Karate, Shaolin Northern Tiger Kung Fu, Shaolin Fighting Crane Kung Fu, & Self Defense with Pressure Points.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have seen the fighting crane video.

Was there last weekend ... it's more like 10 or so "chambers", just separate training areas for different exercises really.
    They are building a new place in the hills now, with bungalows, a restaurant, a temple and bigger training facilities.

W
    Last edited by wall; 11-10-2005 at 04:44 AM.
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

10 chambers

Are there any photo's of this facility ?
    Kune Belay Sau

I know it would take ages but could anyone actually tell me what all the 36 chambers were?

Many thanks!

S
    Black Mantis

You can get the movie pretty cheap, I think.

The first chamber is this forum

We had some pictures in that article I mentioned above. Unfortunately I don't have a website.

wall - what did you think of the school? I've never been there, so I'm just curious.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the 36th chamber is my basement.

don't make me ask you to put the lotion on it's skin now. ;D
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi Gene, I was there invited by Shi Xing Hong and to catch up with Shi De Yang, who had been invited from China to be onorary president of the first International Chan Wu Championship (the federation created by SXH).
    The school is actually quite small (the pics made it seem bigger, to me at least) and somewhat in a state of abandonment as they are building a huge new place in the hills outside Budapest, with bungalows, a restaurant, a temple and bigger training facilities. This new place is already operational but I did not get to see it as I was in town just one long weekend, for the meetings and for the competition (I took some of my students).
    SXH has some 1000+ students in the area I think, and they have a big organisation spanning Austria, Germany, Italy, etc. They are looking at growing further and thus at the moment even non-ChanWu students (like mine) can participate to their events. The standards seem good, especially where Xing Hong teaches himself; the program is the "modern" shaolin, therefore a mix of traditional KF, modern WS, and sanda. Frankly that's what we teach too (we are not in Chan Wu for a number of reasons), and most serious Shaolin schools in Europe have similar programs.
    Some of the schools that "see" him just a few weekends a year have varying lower levels of skills.
    I'm happy to say my tiny team of 5 students brought home 3 gold 3 silver and 3 bronze, and one student won the grand champion U-18 ...
    Highlight of the trip was catching up with De Yang of course, and Xing Hong's kind hospitality.

Wall
    Last edited by wall; 11-11-2005 at 04:02 AM.

very cool, wall!

Xinghong and Deyang are very special, indeed. Good to hear that their work in Europe is thriving. If you have contacts for the new place, please post them. I'm very interested to hear more about this project.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've met DeYang a number of times in China and it was wonderful to see him again, especially as he's kind of moving further and further away from the "limelight" and apparently might retire in meditation for a few years soon (!) ... a true monk and true master.
    I have a couple of photos of Xing Hong and De Yang from the weekend up on our site ( www.shaolin-wushu.it ) look in 'news' and 'images > walter gjergja' (scroll down).
    If you want I can send you some photos of the "old" location (the one you guys featured in an article some time ago). I might visit the new one in spring break, I'll take some of my students to train with Xing Hong for a week or so.
    They have built a great organisation, the only issue I have is that to be in it you have to teach their curriculum, wear their uniforms, do their exams ... Although at the end of the day we do basically the same program I have a 20 year history of wushu and shaolin, I have my own masters and my own ways and my own experiences, it would be silly to dump it all just to get the Chan Wu logo ...
    Xing Hong respects our decision, and in fact has told me that he is afraid that the too-rigid guidelines might keep out the good established schools and attract the guys in need of an identity and of guidance. He doesn't really want that, his objective is for ChanWu to have the BEST schools in Europe affiliated, so I think he might change some things soon.
    Anyhow, if you guys want to do a piece on Shaolin Europe let me know

Wall

PS: Austrian Shaolin Temple vs German trademark holders for Yong Xin coming up in a weeks time, Wien law courts. Landmark case, the whole Shaolin community should keep a close eye on the outcome of this as there will be many ramifications either way.
    Last edited by wall; 11-12-2005 at 02:25 AM.

I'm always interested in Shaolin Europe

Shaolin Europe is off the map for me. I've never even been to Europe, believe it or not. Perhaps, you'd like to pen an article on this, wall. To be honest, I'm probably not as qualified here in California. Here are our submission guidelines and you can always email me privately at gene@kungfumagazine.com to discuss this further.

I've talked to some of the people in Austria - some of them used to support my master Decheng - so I'm following that case closely too. It may set an international precedent. I'd love to hear the various arguments from both sides. We have a similar legal battle brewing right here in California as well. I heard Shaolin's lawyer, Mr. Huang is headed our way. Perhaps, he's travelling from Austria here, or vice versa. Strange days indeed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips