Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you fight a taller person?

How do you fight a taller person?

any tips? It's a little hard to reach their head

It depends on how they fight.

If they know how to use there height, you need to press forward, get inside, possibly take them down. WHat kind of fight are you talking about, street, mma, boxing, wrestling? It all depends. One thing, just don't stay at there comfrotable range. Always take the opponents fight away from them.
    Bless you

"Monkey steals peach" Dude! If you can't reach the head, go for what most guys think with.

Shaolin Dude, you know me so you know that what I have to offer isn't worth much, but try to work your way inside (easier said than done of course.) To echo bodhitree's point, many times, taller guys get used to their reach advantage and don't feel as comfortable close up.

Talking

kick em in the knee cap bring em down to your height. ha ha

Thumbs up

drive forward im 5 , 6 so almost anyone is taller then me just go straight at them. My genreal with long armed people get to the elbows seems to be my range and tere uncomfortable. Once your there jumping knee upper cuts thats if you just want to hit the head but theres more to a person the4n there head bigger target area. happy hunting

The easiest way that i have found is to deflect their 1st or second strike then rush them and get in close once in close you have nulified there height and reach advantage stay close to them and fight as normal

I find it extremely daunting if I were to fight a big guy. I wouldn't want to catch a punch in the face so I would want to rush in to reduce being hit by a full swing. But then I have the problem of getting bear hugged or if they use their strength up close with grabs/throws.

In the end if the head is high then shoot out a finger strike to the throat and drop them with that. Also try a lower leg bumping kick and take off their knee cap so you can work around to their sides.

How the hell did luke skywalker take our the walking heavy armour, he screwed up the legs!

craig

we just do regular kickboxing in my school. this dude is like almost a foot taller than me.

Shin, knee, thigh kicks, body shots.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Smile taller bigger

well all above posts are correct esp the infighting advice however the infighting is only good if you have superior skill. All other situations call for what my master has taught me is the mainstay of SEVEN STAR praying manits. "go to his 45"
    45 45 45 45 degree attack" Go outside but stay in contact do not break contact slide out around the punch and rush to his 45 with relentless attacks. he will not recover his balance due to natural feet position. all who know the first punch in Bung Bu already know one method. if not just experiment and watch out for elbows meanwhile use yours like there is no tommorrow.

Agreed sifu darkfist, the beginning of bung bo is most effective. Like you mentioned, the positioning of this move allows you to really catch them in an awkward position. I personally prefere using the outer gate when fighting people, if you stay low and drive in fast to their organs and weak points you can take them down effectively.

In wingchun the use of an outer gate right tan sou followed by a left pak sou when being hit from a straight punch is also a great way to get that angle and rush in.

Sifu Darkfist - the 2 moves after 'catching the cicarda' in the beginning of bung bo.....do you personally link these from the 2 moves before, or do you use them as separate applications to simply charge down your opponent from head on. Im only interested as I have seen different takes on the application to this.

Craig

Smile bung bu

i dont want to highjack this thread and thats exactly what this question will do lol so meet me in northern praying mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    In wingchun the use of an outer gate right tan sou followed by a left pak sou when being hit from a straight punch is also a great way to get that angle and rush in.
    Sure, go to the 45... but a) it's very difficult getting to the outside of a longer armed guy safely and turning his corner if he doesnt want you to, and b) open that gate and control the inside of his arms on your way in (eg bouncing off his bicep with a tan-hook-elbow).

Anyway, my advice is the flying headbutt!

If its a real life situation, pick up a stick if you can.

And strike the city full of sinners as if you are God...

I fight a taller person the exact same way I fight a smaller person. I try to cover or deffend my easy targets while I try to exploit their easy targets.

Taller person: They have reach on their side so I try to close the gap and get in close to take their legs away. I cover up high so they don't pound on my head. I go for low kicks, body shots and that wonderful upper cut. Among other things.

Smaller person: I use a lot of over the head hammer fists to get them thinking high and then follow up with a kick to the body. Among other things.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/