Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How do you fight a taller person?

Good points. You mentioned something that I forgot to mention. If one is smaler than one's opponent, a knockout can be attained by simply uppercutting him. The area between the groin and the chin is a blind-spot, so your opponent won't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaharia
    Good points. You mentioned something that I forgot to mention. If one is smaler than one's opponent, a knockout can be attained by simply uppercutting him. The area between the groin and the chin is a blind-spot, so your opponent won't see it coming.
    Very true, but remember the tall person is no stranger to being tall and unless they're from the Lumbering... what Mat said, they'll be pretty used to covering up and very conscious of a shorter guy getting close in for that sort of setup. Having said that, headbutts have caught me off guard a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaharia
    Yeah tell me about it. I was at this club once and had a few too many. anyway this bouncer was some sh1tty little dwarf. I told him where to stick it and Bam he head butted me in the nuts.

That's the last time I look down on small people. Some dwarf move so fast like when they know caporera or something - what they lack in size they make up in attitude.

LOL!

You sure got me on your last one, Green Willow![/Shaggy from Scooby Doo voice]

Sek:
    they'll be pretty used to covering up and very conscious of a shorter guy getting close in for that sort of setup...
    Sure, but some classic combos are classics because they have a high chance of succeeding! And even quite experienced people often have difficulty recognising the combo before the last one hits them! In fact, the more you strain to recognise a combo the slower your reactions... but anyway... sure, generally I agree.

Also, of course, the more you train with the same big mutant, er, large gentleman, the more used to your strategies he is, eh Sek?! I used to be able to get on your inside much better: then after I'd got in with a couple of shots your eyes would just glaze over and you'd go kind of limp, remember!? Just like you used to be able to reach over and slap the top of my head...!

Having said that:
    Having said that, headbutts have caught me off guard a few times
    ... you don't seem to be able to read that set-up! Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by green_willow
    That's the last time I look down on small people. Some dwarf move so fast like when they know caporera or something - what they lack in size they make up in attitude.
    That's some story.
    It really does make it clear that anyone can be threat to you. Making judgements about people based solely on physical appearance often leads to us to the wrong conclusion. Therefore always assume that the person in front of you can hurt you.
    This also goes for TKD sparrers. As a rule, most of them fall into a farily weak category, but there are some guys who will had you your head on a plate if you're not careful.
    Any type of generalization can get you trouble...
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Sekabin
    Very true, but remember the tall person is no stranger to being tall and unless they're from the Lumbering... what Mat said, they'll be pretty used to covering up and very conscious of a shorter guy getting close in for that sort of setup. Having said that, headbutts have caught me off guard a few times.
    True... but if you can open you opponent up i.e. by striking to the kidneys, ribs, etc... you may be able to get your opponent to drop his guard. One should only do this when the oppertunity of a one-strike knockout does not arrise

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    That's some story.
    It really does make it clear that anyone can be threat to you. Making judgements about people based solely on physical appearance often leads to us to the wrong conclusion. Therefore always assume that the person in front of you can hurt you.
    This also goes for TKD sparrers. As a rule, most of them fall into a farily weak category, but there are some guys who will had you your head on a plate if you're not careful.
    Any type of generalization can get you trouble...
    But sometimes little people get too large for the shoes when the accept a challenge agaisnt any man, beast or machine.

http://www.fmft.net/archives/BBC_NEWS.htm

depends.......

it all depends on the factors the fight involves. firstly is the guy tall and built/heavy or is the guy tall and slim/light. lets say the guy is heavy, ull wait for the guy 2 make the move ....lure the guy, if he isnt moving jus go strate dwn the middle fast and accurate. if its a success and u get inside ur opppnent pound him kik the knee caps shins and groin as u pund the neck and face and move as fast as u can strate bak out, that shud do the job if ur strikes are powerful. if he is lite and slim, move in fast and do the same but stay there and dont stop till the guy is dwn.

Simplicity, Efficiency and Practicality~~~~~~~~WING CHUN

Well it seems this topic has benn beate..TO DEATH! And i didnt even bother to read the whole thread, but ill tell you what UI would do, and indeed it is in conjunction with what some of you have already said.

If I were to face someone taller than me, no matter what, I would B Line straight for them, thus taking away alot of their power and weapons. Basically what im saying is that I would explode into them like a frigging locamotive, but dont get me wrong, it would be very controlled. I would also utilize a low fighting stance as well as fighting on angles, to find openings that could otherwise not be located.
    Very simple...very effective.
    Speed is the essence of power~Trey

www.wutangbrunswick.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://myspace-693.vo.llnwd.net/0018...87178693_m.jpg
    http://myspace-698.vo.llnwd.net/0021...18999698_m.jpg
    ^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^
    PICTURE OF ME HALF NAKED!!! LOL!

Ooh! A baseball! Kerack! Home Run!!!!!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    If I were to face someone taller than me, no matter what, I would B Line straight for them, thus taking away alot of their power and weapons. Basically what im saying is that I would explode into them like a frigging locamotive, but dont get me wrong, it would be very controlled. I would also utilize a low fighting stance as well as fighting on angles, to find openings that could otherwise not be located.
    That's all good and well, assuming that your opponent doesn't have particularly good body awareness. In JKD, we have what is called a 'Critical Distance Zone', which is basically an area in which your opponent can hit you. An adaquate JKD man could simply keep you at bay with something so simple as a sidekick to your knee.
    If your fighting a Judo or Jiu Jutsu man, making a B line for them would simply give them another weapon. They will use the extra force of your thrusted body weight, and use it against you.
    Your low stance is a good technique, assuming you know how to do it and not give away your intention. Your opponent may be able to see what you plan to do by such seemingly inconspicuous things as your footwork. Also, if you're in a public place, lets say a bar, for arguments sake, taking a stance may not be a good idea. If you want your attack to be as inconspicuous as possible, taking no-stance would be a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey
    That's all good and well, assuming that your opponent doesn't have particularly good body awareness. In JKD, we have what is called a 'Critical Distance Zone', which is basically an area in which your opponent can hit you. An adaquate JKD man could simply keep you at bay with something so simple as a sidekick to your knee.
    If your fighting a Judo or Jiu Jutsu man, making a B line for them would simply give them another weapon. They will use the extra force of your thrusted body weight, and use it against you.
    Your low stance is a good technique, assuming you know how to do it and not give away your intention. Your opponent may be able to see what you plan to do by such seemingly inconspicuous things as your footwork. Also, if you're in a public place, lets say a bar, for arguments sake, taking a stance may not be a good idea. If you want your attack to be as inconspicuous as possible, taking no-stance would be a better idea.

Angry Use a weapon

Seriously grap a bottle a fork a bat a chair or anything that is in front of u.Aim for weak points.ofc we r talking the case u r defending yourself and not your ego.
    Last edited by Erny; 02-07-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    From the shadows i come.
    To the light i send you.

Stabbing people will usually reward you with some serious charges, whether it was self-defense or not, that is up to the court to decide. If your going to stab people, you better be ****ed sure they have a weapon and or intent to inflict some serious bodily damage. Laws do vary location to location, a disorderly conduct charge sure beats the hell out of an assault with a deadly weapon charge in the United States. Stabbing versus cutting someone may inflict serious internal wounds. When faced in a situation where your not looking to get your ass beat to hell, i suggest slicing or bashing your oppenent with a weapon, never stab them because there is a higher chance that you will puncture organs and or arteries. Regardless, when you bring a weapon into the equation and use it aggressively and the other guy is wielding nothing, you are the one who is going to serve a prison sentence.
    Last edited by Gen3sis74; 02-07-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Exactly. I've known martial artists who've gone to prison for defending themselves with a weapon, even though their opponent was the aggressor, and had a weapon. In the eyes of the courts, you are trained to be able to handle such a situation amicably, not tear your opponent apart.