Thread: Houston Chang Chuan & More

Houston Chang Chuan & More

Now, I'm a very infrequent poster but I use to lurk on the forum for a long time
    trying to get info about styles, schools and teachers before I commented to
    start learning a CMA. I got some good info so I am just posting this incase there
    is someone like I use to be out there.

I started Chang Chaun about two years ago in the effort to move up to one of the internal arts later on, but after about six months I stopped because of schedule and cash flow issues. During that time I studied at Five Element Kung-Fu/Wu-Su on San Jacinto near downtown. This is Bomani Magharibi's school in which is also teaches PA KUA CHANG, CHEN TAI CHI CHUAN, and HSIN-I CHUAN although it would seem that Long Fist was the biggest class group back then. I work not to far from the school and ran into his son resently and he told me that there was now video of Bomani on the website. Check it out:

www.myspace.com/mwalimub

I had my reservations about going back to the school (time constraints among other things) but seeing the videos has encouraged me to try to make the time and effort (maybe start back in June).

Ironic though, that I just found out that Charles Graham resently started a school about five blocks away that is also teaching Long Fist. I'm tempted to check his class out just to be curious. His site is:

www.shaolinhouston.com

Both Sifu(s) studied under Madame Wang Jurong.

Check both of their videos out.

Man, no replies at all? I guess no one was impressed. Well, both are very talented and accomplished. I hope to start class again this summer. Hope I did not bore anyone with this. I'll just keep things to myself from now on.

Thanks,

SB

Greetings SunBeam,

I did not realize your post required a response. Considering the way people get bashed on forums, no response may be seen as a positive response.

I did like Sifu Magurabi's "wushu" form. It looks more like a traditional Cha chuan form that appears to be inspired by the dragon. If it is Cha chuan from Wang Ziping line, then I understand why he has been noted as a Tan Tui Master by some people.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

mickey

Thanks for the reply and I guess I was stressed out and over sensitive about the whole thing for no good reason. I just thought that some body out of 40 or 50 views would say something because I thought the vids were kind of impressive. I promise not to be so uptight in the future.

I liked the first guy's Bagua Zhang

I am glad to see Houston is starting to get on the map in terms of CMA...look for more in the near future
    Last edited by Songshan; 05-15-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add to post

Smile Kung fu In Houston

Master Bomani's wushu skills are very traditional and most enjoyable to see in my opinion. It would be nice to see wushu in Houston would grow, but without the politics.
    I feel this is one of the reason CMA doesn't get the credit it so well deserve.
    Sunbeam I would recommend that you stay with Master Bomani,as he is very knowable and a highly creditable student of the late Madame Wang Jurong.
    REMEMBER PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Master Bomani's wushu skills are very traditional and most enjoyable to see in my opinion. It would be nice to see wushu in Houston would grow, but without the politics.
    I feel this is one of the reason CMA doesn't get the credit it so well deserve.
    Sunbeam I would recommend that you stay with Master Bomani,as he is very knowable and a highly creditable student of the late Madame Wang Jurong.
    REMEMBER PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    I hope CMA will grow strong in Houston also. I plan to start back when my schedule changes and money gets level this summer. Has any one out there trained with Bomani before? Iv'e heard from his son that the classes have grown since I was there.
    Last edited by SunBeam; 05-16-2007 at 01:57 PM.