Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monk From Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9
    it's Graceffo
    Whoops!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I think Antonio is back in the US now...

Last I heard he came back. He has a few submissions in the queue that I need to look at soon, and I've been waiting until after I've had a chance to do so before contacting him again. Antonio Graceffo has written extensively for our e-zine. In fact, we were first to publish his Brooklyn Monk writings. BB picked it up later (but I only saw part 1 - did they ever publish at part 2?) and then the book came later.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

He must have heard us...

Right after I posted above, I got some spam from Antonio. Here's the latest from the Brooklyn Monk
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i no that

Sifu mike I no what you are saying I have no interist in the contemporery stuff any how. Is what I am saying is if there truly are traditional nothern kung fu monkd in new york

New from Antonio

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so is he a monk or what?

obviously not at the shaolin temple but perhaps elsewhere? or why does he call himself the monk from brooklyn?

Sorry, I thought it was earlier on this thread

Antonio's written a lot for our e-zine. We were the first to come out with his Monk from Brooklyn story (see part 1 & 2), which he later sold to BB (2x) and wrote a book about. You can also see Antonio's other stuff at our e-zine author index here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The one point I would like to speak to is, someone claimed I didn’t prepare. Actually, I spent fifteen months studying Kung Fu and Chinese in Taiwan before going to China.
    I don't think anyone means a lack of preparation as far as training goes, but more of a lack of research on the realities of the Shaolin Temple. Rather than looking at it from different angles, asking around to see what you could be getting into, taking a scouting trip, etc. you kind of jumped in with both feet (at least that's how it seems) and let yourself get suckered. It's ok though, as I think reading your articles and books gives a lot of lessons for people planning trips over there about what to look out for.

i guess someone had to be the example. well done!

Simillar Experience

My friends BJJ student and training partner had a simillar experience in Shaolin.

His dream was always to train in Shaolin and he trained at the more traditional one. His dream was shattered when he sparred the fighter monks there. They had no fighting ability at all and came at him with fancy high kicks and unpracticle moves. They aren't conditioned at all. He got them with simple techiques such as simple jabs and crosses.

My friends BJJ class is made up off many people who use to practice traditional CMA but many of them now see that traditional CMA isn't practical and outdated in training techiques.

His article was excellent I though, at least he was honest with his experience. Other people will have different experiences !!