Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend of Dong Hai Chuan vs Yang Lu Chan

Legend of Dong Hai Chuan vs Yang Lu Chan

the legend said that:

One day, a king asked them to fight in the backyard.

Dong walked in a circle around Yang. Yang stayed put in the center and prepared.

Nothing happened. After 10 min, the king got bored and said that ok you both are excused.

So they went to the front yard and had a tea party.

Yang held a sparrow in his palm. No matter how hard the bird tried. It could not fly away. Eventually, Yang gently stretched the palm and off flied the sparrow.

They both laughed.

Dong said that I practiced Ba Gua circle or ring and you practiced Tai Chi Ball.

We did not know that if the circle trapped the ball or the ball trapped the circle/ring.

Both laughed.

end of anedote.

what do you think?

Ridiculous stuff, they are Martial artist and should of at least had a go. Too much Ettiquette in CMA and niceness, this why most CMA cannot fight thinking that DAO is a no combative meaning and just harmony.

Why didnt they start from push hands if they were so scared clash each other, both these guys are skilled internal stylist and train sensitivity so they should have at least tried something.

Every "martial artist" needs to test themselves one way or another if NOT they should not say they do martial arts and call ther system a health or healing system and never try and teach fighting if they dont train like a MARTIAL MAN.

Thats my 2 cents worth, these old stories really **** me off and the funny thing is almost every system has a story or there grandmaster doing this and that but half these stories i believe are just students blowing them up to make there master look good.

Anyway hahaha crazy
    FT

They might have exchanged hands and rematched.

the story was meant to tell something.

1. The will or intent Yi before anything else. during the 10 min, there was a contest of will/intent.

2. Yang used a sparrow to indicate how he would deal with any physical force with yielding, redirecting or guiding into emptiness etc as if there is a Tai Chi in his palm. His slightly stretching of his palm "helped" the sparrow to fly off. He borrowed the bird's force and used against it.

3. Dong said he was thinking about the steps in the Ba Gua circle, the waist and the wrist/palm in Ba Gua ring/circle to "trap" or fishnet the Tai Chi ball/moves.

We would never know who is trapping who.

etc etc.

How hard is it to hold a bird in your hand dude? Open the hand and it will fly away no big deal there!!

I know there is a story behind it but again, nice but no use because they never fought to see who was better. One held a bird and the other didnt! The other was thinking about walking a circle...okay and that makes them great fighters?

See i myself rather see them fight rather then talk about it, you know what i mean? Doesnt really say they have skill at all only says they know theories....and that doesnt count really in my book.

Nice story all the same
    FT

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger
    How hard is it to hold a bird in your hand dude? Open the hand and it will fly away no big deal there!!
    You aren't understanding how he held the bird. Holding in an open hand and not giving the bird a solid platform to launch.

This was portrayed by Jack Wu in Tai Chi Master (I think).
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

What has that still got to do with fighting? I definetly see where this is going im just saying it doesnt show there fighting ability. Stop getting caught up in the Mysterious stories and see reality!

According to my source:

1. It was a Qing Emperor. The exact name I should know.... but I could not think of it.
    2. It was Dong Hai Chuan vs. Yang Jian Hou, and not YLC
    3. It was over a job: DHC was already working for Prince Bolin at the time, but YJH wanted the job
    4. They fought, but with surroundings covered with white cloth so no outsider cound see who won and who lost to save face for the loser. Only the royal family and some high officials were allowed to watch.
    5. They fought, as both party didn't really like each other
    6. One basically kicked the other one's ass, BIG TIME. I am not going to say who won here, and what moves they used. I do not want to be disrespectful to any perticular style of martial arts. (The white fabric thing)
    7. Both ended up being employed by the Prince, but they continued hating each other.

They were both real fighters, not some esoteric show-men who settled scores by walking around each other and playing with birds.

I didn't hear this story through some 3rd party person, but passed down directly through YJH to Wang Yong Chuen to Wei Shu Ren to me.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

John,

Thanks dude, see stories if birds and circles dont mean anything but a cover cause on got a beat down. With your proof from your elders at least u have a fictionous fight.

You must tell, who won? Dont hold out now brother!!! I dont think its disrespectful that you you say who won, its history and things like this need to be open and talked about. **** you and the suspence...hehehe its killing meeeee!

Garry

Well, the story's passed down from Yang. Guess who says he won?

My Ba Gua desends from Tung Hai Chuan three generations ---> Kung Po Tien ---> Wong TSan Fei ----> David Bond Chan. My master can kill from push hands. No hurt you bad, kill you, if that was his intent. He doesn't stick and go back and forth. He throws an elbow into your rib cage or chest and his hands are on your neck at the same time.

Two fighters of this caliber, would know what they needed to know... would know the other is highly skilled and that's enough. Once engaged, the training takes over, not the ego, and someone would get seriously hurt.

Fiercest Tiger, believe me, I'm all for testing. But there is a time and place, and two men of their reputations did the right thing.

Meanwhile, how many of your classmates regularly engage in barefisted challenges matches? Do you consider them martial artists?

It's very easy to demand violence when one is not personally involved.

Hi Ray,

Sorry dude but its like this with me, you can talk and talk but untill i see you fight i will judge upon that. Stories dont impress me at all!

Anyone can play push hands and then not play and throw elbows etc so what.

Martial arts has different meanings to me, one is yeah they should of at least had some fights be it ring and on the street. As well know there art and an artist!

Not purley fighting!!

As form my students some have had more then 20-30 boxing amature, i had a student that fought i kung fu tourney with succsess. Some of them in have told me they had a few fights in bar and street for some unknown reason.

I have fought kickboxing and kung fu full contact , worked on doors of clubs, hospital security at one of the worst hospitals in sydney that you need to use your skills. I dont class myself as a ultimate fighter i know that death can happen within a second so i respect life. If i have to fight i will but i choose not too for testing my hand as i spar and i do roll and that is enough.

If i was in N.Y i would spar you with gloves i have no shame to loose its all about learning and developing your skill. I think you need to fight wth gloves and without in order to know what its like to be in any situation.

FT

I might add, that not all the martial arts is about fighting but just a part of it. If you are going to teach fighting as part of your art at least know your game on what you are teaching. You dont have to be a champion in contest or anything like that but understand and train your system in a realist or try to be as realistic as possible.

So people dont take my words the wrong way as afighting art only u wanna know something of you are going to teach.

FT

The story I heard was that Prince Su, Dong Haichuan's employer, asked Yang Luchan to fight his "miraculous eunuch" as a final test of his "invincible" skills. This fight supposedly ended in a draw... though it could have been just for the two to save face that they fought to a draw... all that stuff about white curtains is silly. The fight would have been held in one of the imperial palaces where the public was not allowed anyway.

Also, just speaking from a chronological point of view, it makes more sense for it to have been Luchan vs. Haichuan as opposed to Jianhou vs. Haichuan. Yang and Dong were contemporaries (1799-1872 and 1797-1882 respectively), whereas Jianhou would have been at least forty years younger than Dong (1839-1917). Let's assume that Jianhou would have had to have been at least 20 before he was strong enough and old enough to be challenging other fighters (probably older)... at this point Dong would have been at least 62 or older... a 20-30 yr. old vs. a 60-70 yr. old doesn't sound like a very fair fight to me, no matter how much your finesse and technique allow you to overcome superior strength.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Told you to many stories and no one really knows!! Most yang people will say they won and the other way around. EGO is a biatch!

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi

all that stuff about white curtains is silly. The fight would have been held in one of the imperial palaces where the public was not allowed anyway.

Also, just speaking from a chronological point of view, it makes more sense for it to have been Luchan vs. Haichuan as opposed to Jianhou vs. Haichuan.
    The white curtains weren't silly; even though in the palace, there will be guards of lower ranks around. It would be not be wise for them to witness who won or who lost.

As from a chronological point of view, I do take you point. I will be seeing my teacher in Beijing mid December. I will confirm with him the story.

As for who won.... of course from our Yang line the story would be rather biased . Since there were not written records made, so I can imagine different lines from different styles will say different things. I just listen to stories and repeat them. There is no way to verify them.

Therefore, I would like to remain neutral. Afterall, both arts are great arts, and both DHC and YLC (or YJH) were top fighters at the time and we should acknowledge their achievements.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"