Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: preying mantis kills humming bird

Could you give me some information about keeping the mantid.

1) What sort or environment should you keep them in and how big?
    I kept mine ina 20 gallon aquarium. room temp worked fine. Having sticks or branches in the tank help them to shed.

2) What temperatures do you need to maintain
    Room temperature seemed to work fine for them.

3) What and what not food to feed them
    my group (like -n-'s) ate on siblings at first. then small crickets, then ranom incects.
    btw, if you hatch them from a pod, put a very fine mesh across the top unless you want a mantis infestation. (Don't ask me how I know).

4) How many times to feed them and how much
    They are voratious eaters. I always kept at least one live incect in at all times.
    having 1-3 crickets in at all times never hurt.

5) How many times to clean their area
    I cleaned out the tank once a month.

6) What do you do about them growing wings and needing to fly
    Mine never flew untill I let it go. Didn't seem to have a problem doing it without practice.

7) What do you do for water - or is this taken in when eating prey
    I kept a very shallow dish with a sponge in it. More for the incets that the mantis. I never saw them drink from it.
    However, spraying the tank (misting with a spray bottle) and the mantis (once every couple of weeks) will keep it healthier.

Yeah, I know you asked GBL, but I've had a few myself.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by German Bai Lung
    Never come across a Mantis like this! The one on the Picture doesn´t look like either!

Some more pics with the detail of the forearm:
    On the first picture you don't see the big honking spear-tip on the end of the forearm? (The smaller arm touching the plant is attaced right next to it.)

In the second image, the small arm is not showing. You know why?? Beacuse it retracts flat up against the forearm. When the arms shoot out, the small arm swivels (think about it,...if it didn't it would most likely break off due to the forces involved) backwards.

I'll see if I can't find some beter pictures for you.
    Last edited by BeiTangLang; 11-17-2005 at 08:06 AM.
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Bei: thanks for your input!

BUT:

Youre help is not much worth, because Craig wants a orchid mantis ...
    so:

1. A terrarium (an Aquarium will not work because of the air) is needed at least 20x20x20 cm. Could be bigger. For bigger Mantids (than orchid, they are rather small) there have to be bigger places. I keep my female (she is about 10cm bodylength) in my livingroom - free!

2. For Hierodula or sphrodomantis 20-22° C are ok. But for many others temperature must be higher. Also there must be different huminity. If they are still growing and skinning it could be a case of to live or die!

3. also depends of what Mantids: there are Fly specialiced Mantids and some prefer Grasshopers.

4. daily would be fine. But there are timeperiods when they didnīt eat at all!

5. depends ... (did I say that before? .... )

6. Most of the mantids never fly. Female are very place-sitting. Males often change and search for femalles. Also depends on .....

7. Most Mantids drink. Only the ones from the desert doesnīt. Also when skinning its very important to get some water in the air.
    But how often depends on what Mantid ... (yes I said that before, Iīm sure ... )

They are Mantid-Families called: Normal type, Floorliving Type, Mantids with Zebra-Effect, lurking branches, blossomlike Type, Grasslike Type, leaflike Type ...

It really makes sence to get a book "before" you get yourself a Mantid!

Bei: the foto shows how curved the forearm is. It would never impale anything I believe. Also the tiny part of the forarm could bend, yes. but not to the part that you mean was able to impale something.
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

on the contary, i found both of all of them helpful in some way or the other.

GBL- I will get hold of a book for myself, I have also got a very good website bookmarked. Orchid mantids are apparently quite hard to keep, as well as costing a bit, I think I might go for 'a big green one'. lol

Oh, you said you have it.....FREE?!?!
    dont these things bite, aren't you afraid it might climb over the sofa and become a perminant addition to your rear end?

thanks again guys
    craig

Praying Mantis Vs Hummingbird

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...mingbird/20203

I put this here as a discussion piece. The praying mantis is holding its prey upside down. The article even mentions the mantis impaling its victim. So much is talked about in terms of forms and kungfu politics. Perhaps we can discuss what goes into forging your mantis arm/claw?!

Cool photo! I have seen a video on the same subject (mantis captures hummingbird).

Mantis arm can be developed through:
    1. Shoulder, bicep, tricep, wrist and finger exercises to strengthen,
    2. Three star striking and beating the arms with a 2X4 to toughen,
    3. Ball toss and catch for hand and eye coordination.

Mantis claw can be developed through:
    1. Iron palm bag strikes (fingers and back of wrist),
    2. Tossing and catching an iron palm bag.
    3. Grabs and pulls on the wooden man,
    4. Finger strikes against a suspended ping pong ball and sheet of paper.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!