Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wah Lum Tam Tui question

Donkwoon

Explain: as long as your not breaking any rules of course

What is this suppose to mean?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I think it means that some teachers may not want there students showing people form other styles their stuff.

This type of thing happens in most styles. Except for me I am open

You know, the teacher says if you teach any of my stuff to someone else I will kick you arse

Mantid1 pretty much summed it up. Some schools are very tight when it comes to discussing there material with students from other schools. I also studied at a school where we were discoraged from demonstrating our forms to our friends outside of the school. The sifu that I am with now though is much more open.
    Last edited by Donkwoon; 11-20-2005 at 03:29 AM.

I could tell you our policy on publicly revealing info but I'm not allowed. Actually, I'm not even allowed to tell you that I'm not allowed to discuss our policy so I'm already in trouble.

What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

LOL that is funny Ou Ji.

Donkwoon, this is an impressive list! OK one of my favorite Wah Lum forms is Little Mantis, I have always thought this was one of WL better sets. I know, your saying, what about 3rd form, 5th form... Big Mantis! Those are outrageous too! I remember when Sean Cochran taught me BM. Master Chan got mad, said I wasnt ready. Then took me out on the patio and taught me a slightly differant variation. And 36 hands, do any of you comrades take a break half way thru the form?

And WL weapon sets, just TOO many to choose from, all very nice. Double Daggers, Double BS and lo gar spear probably lead the way. WL weapon sets are all challenging. My kf brother and I use to do double dagger vs empty hand for demos, I was the idiot doing the empty hand side. And I only hope to never have to teach 3-sectional again!

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Thanks yu shan for the compliment but it's really not that impressive considering how long I've been in Kung Fu. I won't get into the whole long story on this post but by now I should have been a sifu with my own school. I took a path that made it difficult to recieve instruction on a daily basis and so there have been long gaps in my training when I recieved no instruction at all.

If I've done anything that's impressive, it's that I've maintained the forms that I do have (except the one's that I mentioned being badly in need of review). I'm the kinda guy who really does love to do the forms and some of them I've done a thousand+ times; under the hot sun, on a freezing Winter night, in the rain, on an icey drivway, in the woods, you name it. At times I will practice the forms in a small room around furniture so that it forces me to alter the angles and leangths of the footwork, hopefully without compromising the quality and power of the moves. At full speed it can make for some interesting wipeouts.

Another thing that I like to do is to pick apart the single elaments of the forms and turn them into combat/self defense drills. That's why I say that even if you have just a few "lower" sets like say 16hands, little open gate, and the exercises you still have a ton of applications that can be applied to a variety of situations if you look at the sets with an open mind.

Eventually, I do want to learn some of the higher sets from the wha lum style and plan on learning about 4 sets per year for the next few years (although some will be from other styles).

I don't blame the Wah Lum leadership for being tight with their material; It's part of the reason it's such a strong and enduring style.

Still remarkable Donkwoon the material you know. It is tuff to train on your own, I have been there. I think we all need to be pushed, whether by a teacher or a kf brother.

Yea, I have done my forms in some pretty crazy places. Most were parking lots, it always seems to spill over to the parking lot. Sometimes in my travels, I`ll mention to whoever is with... this is a good parking lot for training. The most difficult to me... the beach. The deep sand is challenging. But the reward of the sun, salt water and girls make it most delightful. Oh well that was in the ole days.

Donkwoon, I thought we were going to talk about these forms?

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

<<Also, in the origins of Gung Li Chuen.
    Gung Li Chuen is a style, but in the west it is treated as a single form. I am not sure if anyone teaches this style in the west. But that single form has the most similarites to Wah Lum.>

SPJ just posted a clipof some 2 man gung li chuen forms on the main board.
    The partenr versions they do don't like Gung li or Wah Lum as we know it, but when those guys do the solo Gung Li(not shown) it is the gung li chune type of forms we are familiar with. But they do slightly more difficult versions which require some acrobatic skills and high coordination.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan

Donkwoon, I thought we were going to talk about these forms?

Now that you mention it, a question comes to mind that I keep forgeting to ask my sifu. In Little Mantis, after you go into the low 7-star stance and do the upward spear hand poke, the spear hand is brought back to the waist and turned palm up. (this happens right before the double kick) How would you explain this in terms of application?

Donkwoon
    The upward spear hand attacks the Hui Yin cavity then retreats to cover the groin. The same move is found in Say Lok after the end of the first run.

I've seen others play this move at the waist but I was taught to cover the groin. I'll try to get a clip up.

That clip is a piece of Little Open Gate. Different spear hand move, different app.

MantisWarrior
    At which school are you training?

Kevin, or anyone, could you point me to a clip of Gung Li Chuen single set?

The kung Li kuen I learned while training at a Chin Woo Eagle Claw school does not resemble wah lum to me. Not that I know much about WL so.......

I could be a different form.

I could put it together to send to you but I dont like it enough to do that.

Donkwoon

Hua Lin shared one application, I can use this as a throw also.

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan
    Donkwoon

Hua Lin shared one application, I can use this as a throw also.
    That's interesting, I never thought of that. I would imagine that you would have to use both hands though.

While I'm thinking about it, there is another move that I've always wondered about. In both stright form and 2nd form there is that stright arm wind mill move. From long range the obvious interpertation would be an overwhelming clubing action but is there an aceptable close in application such as a throw or defense against a full nelson attempt? Just wondering.