Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheongsam/long robe

Removal of the mullet from robe wearing already has solved 78% of the overall problem related to formal robe usage .

I think knee length at the max with slits to the upper hip would allow for kicks and because the cut wouldn't go past the knee, there shouldn't be much interference between cloth and kick.

I still prefer sweats and a tee, but hey, I understand the need to look pretty while skipping around on the basketball court in your local highschool.

all in all, anything looks better than sky blue silks on a wushu boy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Removal of the mullet from robe wearing already has solved 78% of the overall problem related to formal robe usage .

I think knee length at the max with slits to the upper hip would allow for kicks and because the cut wouldn't go past the knee, there shouldn't be much interference between cloth and kick.

I still prefer sweats and a tee, but hey, I understand the need to look pretty while skipping around on the basketball court in your local highschool.

all in all, anything looks better than sky blue silks on a wushu boy.

I don't know who that was directed to, but I thought it would be cool to have traditional formal wear for use during demonstrations or halloween. I prefer t-shirt and loose athletic pants for training. But hey, I understand the need to make sarcastic comments. And I'm with you on the sky blue silks thing... guhh..
    Last edited by ZhuiQuan; 11-16-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Thumbs up

Look here for some real nice cheongsams:
    http://web.6park.com/bbs/messages/89589.html

Clever, but I know cheongsam is a woman's dress. Gene Ching can you help me out here? The woman's cheongsam has a similar cut, but the men's cheongsam is a long robe that was worn as formal wear before the introduction of western suits right?

Oh man, make me bust out my dictionary, why don't ya?

Cheongsam is Cantonese - in Mandarin, it would be Changshan although they usually say Changpao. Literally, it means 'long shirt'. Now, just like in English, shirt is not sex-specific meaning boys and girls both wear shirts but only girls wear blouses (well, I've heard a rumor about KL, but... ). Of course, you can tell the difference between some women's shirts and some men's shirts, ie: men generally don't wear baby-doll shirts.

Those long women's dresses with the slits up to the armpits are sometimes called qipao, and they are one of the greatest inventions of China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

it's a Frock not a Blouse!

Don't mock the Frock G~!

Hey, a guy can feel pretty every now and again can't he?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Those long women's dresses with the slits up to the armpits are sometimes called qipao, and they are one of the greatest inventions of China.
    Yes yes they are... qipao are truly wonders of fashion.

Now let's combine a little American fashion sense (or lack of) & create a baby doll qipao...

... and maybe smother them in nacho cheese sauce as well
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

hmmm, edible baby dolls, I think you're onto something there Sean.

and like the panties, buy three because you'll likely eat two of them on your way to her place.
    Kung Fu is good for you.