Thread: HF Blog

HF Blog

I think if I have this log, it will help me track inconsistencies in my workouts and identify complications that I am having staying on track. This is for my own benefit, but if anyone has tips or ideas for a busy family guy trying to climb the corporate ladder of the Federal Government please feel free to interject advise. I still consider myself a beginner, so I am open to suggestions from all. This is also my first day on the patch...when I train hard for a couple of months nonstop, my cardio was still real good when I smoked, but I really need to quit...so here goes day one. Any encouragement from ex-smokers would be helpful, though I feel confident in my quitting plan.

THX

Here it goes

HIIT training on the elliptical...good workout

Upper body weight training (or workout #1) at lunch:
    Bench press
    Hammer Curls
    Triceps Extensions
    Lat Pulls
    Seated Row
    Inverted Sit-ups

Reps of 12, 10, 8, 6 maxing out a 6 then dropping down for a final 12 at the end of last set for a real burn.

Afternoon Kung Fu:
    Basics-conditioning, stances, footwork, flexibility, short combinations
    Last edited by Hard Fists; 11-18-2005 at 05:33 AM.

Hard Cardio on Bike

Lower body or workout #2
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    Extensions
    Curls

Sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 reps going up and closing out with low weight 24 reps.

Good workout...no kung fu that day

Day three no smoking...it's getting easier.
    HIIT workout on elliptical

Kung fu basics in the afternoon and forms work-2 hours

out of curiosity, why did you pick the exercises that you did? I would eliminate leg press, curl and extension and instead adopt squats and deadlifts. for upper, get rid of lat pull downs and do pull ups.

Add more compound lifts to your regimen.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

SevenStar
    In the past I have incorporated squats in my lower body workouts...unfortunately, the gym I work out at during lunch is small and only has machines for lower body...no dumbbells. I've seen one of my sehings doing lower body at school with just body weight...I think I'll have a talk with him today, he's pretty big and I think he has a total body weight regiment-no weights. Pull ups have been really hard since high school football. I weigh a lot...always will. Fighting weight is 220, that’s with a very low percentage of body fat I can’t remember the measurement though. Now, I'm about thirty over because of non training and minor surgery and beer and pizza and couch (in that order) over the summer. But even at 220, it is hard for me to do...I will take your advice and try to integrate it with training. We work lats in or basics class with triceps pushups, we also do abs, that's the reason I only work them once a week outside of class. I do basics two to three times a week...

Day six not smoking…I feel like ripping someone’s head off…But I won’t smoke.

Kung Fu basics one hour
    Kung Fu forms one hour

I compete between 220 and 230 also. Start off with what you can do - even if it's only one. Work up from there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Congratulations on getting things going. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

If I may make a suggestion concerning the pullups. If you have trouble with doing pullups, try jumping negatives. Basically, you jump to the up position of the pullup then you slowly lower yourself. Try to count to ten while you're lowering yourslef.

This is an awesome workout for the lats and also is great for your grip.

Before you know it you'll be doing real pullups.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Thanks for the encouragement. I will begin with the new lat exercises this week. Jumping negatives...hum...I'll give it a try. Good advice. I'll use it.

No cardio or HIIT today, have to help somebody move at lunch.

Kung Fu basics and forms in the afternoon-2 hours

Ah the holidays...I had only worked out two or three times last week. Started back with HIIT yesterday. Upper body weights at lunch, and going back to Kung Fu tonight...only for an hour, though I may be able to get a couple of rounds of bag work in. I think my belly is going to pop....I had Thanksgiving twice this year to apease all of the in laws...too much food and beer-back to work.

Training has been a little sporatic since Thanksgiving. About every two days and no two a day practices. Started sparring again and stepping it up again this week. Trying power eating, though it's hard for me to stick to a schedule with it during the week. Anyway...

HIIT training on elliptical at lunch
    Sparring for an hour at night

Lower body weight training at lunch
    Kung Fu Basics in afternoon

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Sweet, another big guy. Welcome. I like anybody who refers to beer multiple times

I'm about 250 now after a year of not enough training and just had shoulder surgery so looking at another 3 months of minimal activity. I'd like to be sub 220 w/ 210 being a great weight for me.

Just my own experience w/ HIIT. It was great for cardio but I didn't cut weight with it...my legs just got denser. Long Slow Distance is where I lost 23 lbs in 4 months back in 2001. I would hit a stairclimber 3-4 times a week for 40-60 minutes at a moderate level. Just got access to a stairclimber again this week and started w/ 20 minutes. Gonna add 2 minutes every time I get on it.

Good luck with your program, especially the smoking.

What style of kung fu do you train? Teacher?

regards,

Matt
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I train Hung Fut in Maryland. Good information about the long distance running...I talked with one of my instructors and they said the same thing. I plan to start with a two mile jog on Saturday morning, which will be a day off of kung fu. Not smoking is actually going great...I have had a couple of slips, I think I've had maybe five cigs in the past month...I now am beggining to consider mysfelf and ex-smoker....cool. Thanks for the advice, I'll start running more.

Otherwise, program is going good, I about 45 minutes of shadow boxing in yesterday before conditioning class and basics...I can barely walk up stairs today, it was worth it.

edit: oops, spoke too soon...got to the gym and found out that i forgot my shoes at home...I guess flexibility training tonight at home
    Last edited by Hard Fists; 12-15-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Trying to fight off this cold that my son brought home...interestingly, I am not getting as gassed as I was a few months ago when he brought home whatever the friggin street urchins at his daycare gave him then...i think the not smoking is helping me not get too sick....anyway:

Upper body weights in AM

If I can get to school early enough, I'll warm up on the heavy bag for a few minutes, then join the class.
    Kung Fu Basics & Conditioning 1 hour PM
    Forms 1 hour PM

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I've never smoked but I was a bouncer for 7 years. When I quit that I quickly realized that I had been damaging myself w/ the second hand smoke. I used to get URI's a couple of times a year and then they stopped immediately after getting out of the smoke.

so, I'd say you'll keep noticing a difference in everything you do.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"