Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Claw Elite Championships

The 2007 Tiger Claw Elite Grand Champions

Youth Traditional Forms (11 & Under M/F)
    Sammy Smith

Teen Traditional Forms (12-14 M/F)
    Jasmine Magallanes

Young Adult Traditional Forms (15-17 M/F)
    Samson Lee

Adult Traditional Forms (18+ M/F)
    Mickey Lee

Youth Traditional Weapons (11 & Under M/F)
    Anthony Magallanes Jr

Teen Traditional Weapons (12-14 M/F)
    Jasmine Magallanes

Young Adult Traditional Weapons (15-17 M/F)
    Samson Lee

Adult Traditional Weapons (18+ M/F)
    Jack Tu

Youth Contemporary Forms (11 & Under M/F)
    Sammy Smith

Teen Contemporary Forms (12-14 M/F)
    Jacob Ellis

Young Adult Contemporary Forms (15-17 M/F)
    Becca Ross

Adult Contemporary Forms (18+ M/F)
    Jack Tu

Youth Contemporary Weapons (11 & Under M/F)
    Joshua Lam

Teen Contemporary Weapons (12-14 M/F)
    Jasmine Magallanes

Young Adult Contemporary Weapons (15-17 M/F)
    Becca Ross

Adult Contemporary Weapons (18+ M/F)
    Daniel Graham
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A nice slideshow

This flicker slideshow of the 2007 DMAF was posted by Cecilia Quinn on iMartial.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TCE Performance Team

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sammy

Here's a nice article on TCEC Champion Sammy Smith. There's video too if you follow the link.

For more on TCEC Champion Jack Tu, check out the Jackie Chan's Disciples Thread.

Dix Hills girl goes for gold in martial arts
    BY JULIE JANOVSKY | Special to Newsday
    8:35 PM EST, February 2, 2008

She's only 10, but Samantha Smith of Dix Hills is already an accomplished martial artist.

Her kinetic back flips and explosive kicks, strikes and spins have been dominating the North American Sport Karate Association junior circuit since she started competing nationally four years ago.

She's a six-time NASKA world champion, competing in 12 tournaments last year (in seven divisions at each tournament) and landing 43 first-place finishes. Now, the precocious junior black belt, who goes by the nickname Sammy, will be heading to St. Petersburg, Russia, in April, representing the U.S. junior team in the Martial Arts Olympics.

"I have forms \[a series of self-defense moves\] with karate and flips. I really like the flips," Sammy said of her self-defense moves on a recent Friday night between bites of pasta in Plainview, where she was having dinner with her father, Steven, and her mother, Sheryl. The fifth-grader -- who has a tutor and travels once a month to compete -- said she favors "extreme martial arts," a freestyle martial arts form that mixes elements of gymnastics and dance with traditional karate. One of her favorite moves is a flip inversion, where she twists and flips backward.

Inspirational performer "She's a crowd pleaser," her mother said. "Adults come up to her at competitions, telling her how much she inspires them." Sheryl Smith enrolled her daughter in traditional Kenpo-style karate lessons at Busto's Karate and Fitness in Plainview when she was 4 years old.

Sammy says her fascination with martial arts began when she saw a television commercial featuring a young martial artist doing flips and karate. She told her parents she wanted to do that, too. "At the time, she [had] just started soccer and was riding ponies," Sammy's father said. "I figured she would try it [karate], and it will last a couple of months." But karate wasn't a passing fad for Sammy, who is an only child. "She never wanted a Barbie doll," her father said. "She was more into sports."

So much so that when she was 5, Sammy -- a petite, blue- eyed blonde who wears her hair in a ponytail -- pleaded with her parents and instructor Shihan John Busto for her first martial arts weapon, a foam-covered pair of nunchakus (two wooden sticks attached to a metal chain).

"She kept asking to learn more," said Busto, who is a sixth-degree black belt. "She would be mesmerized watching the \[higher-ranked\] kids. She wanted to copy them. She would always come to class early and stay late asking questions." When she was 7, Sammy expanded her traditional training and began studying extreme martial arts with instructors Matt Emig on Long Island and Daniel Sterling in North Attleboro, Mass.

Busto said it's been fascinating watching Sammy's transformation as a martial artist over the years. "A minute before she goes in the ring or onstage, she's just a 10-year-old girl. But once she's in the ring, there's this intensity about her," Busto said. (See her competition videos on samanthasmith.org.)

A big break When she was 6, Sammy made her national competition debut as a junior orange belt. A year later, her confidence and skill caught the attention of martial artist/promoter Charlie Lee of Herndon, Va., who gave Sammy her first break by thrusting her into the spotlight in a solo demonstration at the World Series of Martial Arts in Reston, Va. "I was surprised by her energy and the potential she had to be a top competitor," Lee said.

Sammy's intense training regimen -- she practices karate five days a week and gymnastics twice a week -- appears to have paid off. Her domination of NASKA's junior black-belt circuit, whose competitors are generally younger than 16, in recent years drew the attention of Martial Arts Olympics scouts. "We were looking around the country for the top U.S. martial artists. She won every major martial arts competition in juniors on the East Coast," said Tony Abel, U.S. director for the Martial Arts Olympics.

Organizers of the three-day event, which starts April 18, expect to have 6,200 martial artists from more than 35 countries compete. Abel said Sammy will be the youngest member of the U.S. team.

Sammy's supporters say her chances to win an international medal this spring are good. "I know when a martial artist is special, even at such a young age," Lee said. "Samantha Smith is destined to be great."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It begins again

Disneyland Martial Arts Festival
    Disneyland® Resort
    Anaheim, CA
    Feb. 15th, 2008
    The first Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifier for 2008

I won't be there, but Gigi will. Say 'hi' if you see her. Tell her that the KFTC associate publisher needs a raise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The results are in...

...so are the pics. Go to www.tigerclawelite.com for our season opener: Disneyland Martial Arts Festival, Disneyland® Resort, Anaheim, CA Feb. 15th.

Next up, Rocky Mountain National Challenge Ogden, UT, April 18-19. See you there!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Somewhere on the Northen Hemisphere of the planet Terra.
    Cool pictures! I can't find any footage from the event as of yet, but hopefully I'll be able to find some before long.

I see that Jack (Tu) wasn't listed in the official results this year, but I suppose that's to be expected what with him being on "The Disciple" and all. I'm glad to see that his sister, Jenny, was able to compete. I haven't seen her perform for a while, but the last time I saw her, I thought she was really good.

With the Disneyland competition out of the way, I can hardly wait to find out what happens with the next tournament.

"To be nobody-but-myself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting."
    --- E.E. Cummings

The Rocky Mountain National Challenge has been cancelled

Next up is our double header on May 17th.

Western Wyoming Championships in Green River, WY

San Diego Grand International in San Diego, CA

C you real soon!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Next week, San Diego. The following week, Santa Clara

We have three CA TCEC qualifiers coming up fast.

Next week is our double header:
    May 17: Western Wyoming Championships, Green River, WY
    Our CEO, Thomas Oh and our TC rep, Manny Melendez will be representing Tiger Claw.

May 17: San Diego Grand International, San Diego, CA
    Our publisher, Gigi Oh, and correspondent, Jonathan Oh, will be representing Tiger Claw and Kung Fu Tai Chi.

May 24: RDK’s Ultimate Internationals, Santa Clara, CA
    This event is just a few miles south of our Fremont Headquarters, so we'll all be there, including me. Hope to see you!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ultimate Internationals

Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims turned the Ultimate Internationals into an amazing event (not that it wasn't amazing to begin with). I'm pleased to report that there was an increased turn out for the Chinese style divisions, as well as a demo from the Tiger Claw Elite Champions, which was put together here in our warehouse, just the day before the event.

Now TCEC takes two months off until August.

Long Beach Karate Internationals, Long Beach, CA - August 1-3

U.S. Capitol Classics/Chinese Open, Washington, D.C. - August 8-10

Visit TigerClawElite.com for the latest updates.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's almost August.

This weekend is Long Beach Karate Internationals. Gigi will be there. I think Jonny will be there too, along with more Tiger Claw staff. Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng of Iron Crotch fame will be there, along with his son, Jack Tu, who is a TCEC Champion and was just named Jackie Chan's official disciple. He's giving a seminar with Crystal Liu Yifei (Golden Sparrow from Forbidden Kingdom). If you're interested in attending that seminar, contact Jack's sister, Julie at 1-626-215-7970.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pictures and video from Long Beach

You can see pictures from the Long Beach Tiger Claw Elite Championships as well as some of the other West Coast Qualifiers at http://www.greglynchpics.com

For videos of some of the Long Beach Participants you can go to: http://www.youtube.com/geejunior
    Please enjoy

Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic pictures, enoajnin! Thanks for sharing. I especially liked the ones featuring Jack and GM Tu. Well, them and pretty much every other martial arts master you presented.

Hey, Gene. I think you should make use of the ones with Jack in the "got qi" shirts. Makes me wanna' buy a few.

By the way, would you mind if I forwarded a few of them to a friend of mine for duplication? She's really good at pencil sketches, but not so good when it comes to drawing Asians for some reason.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --- Mohandas Ghandi

Forwarding . . . .

I think you'll have to ask Mr. Ching on the whole forwarding thing, especially the Got qi?

That's cool, I understand. You did a really good job on the photographs, though.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    --- Mohandas Ghandi