Donald Kiolbassa- Musical

Juniors
    Monique Magallanes- Forms
    Justin Lam- Weapons
    Zachary Miller- Musical

Youth
    Venessa Loza- Forms & Weapons
    Sammy Smith- Musical

I should have the sparring results later today, assuming I get it with the office Halloween party this afternoon. We'll have a full report on the TCEC site soon. Also, I'm told that Disney plans to keep the webcast available on their site for a month. The played it initially LIVE - the first time Disney has attempted a live webcast. I'm told that the are re-editing it a little and will have it available soon.

Congratulations Champions! I KNOW we'll be seeing more of these people.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tiger Claw Elite 1st Place Fighting Champions

FI-001 Sims, Michelle
    FI-002 Ortiz, Melanie ava
    FI-003 Angel, Yesenia
    FI-004 Simmons, Tamika
    FI-005 Varma, Jessica
    FI-006 Bergolla, Nikolas
    FI-007 Castellon, Anthony
    FI-008 Yasaki, Erik
    FI-009 Waldon, Reggie
    FI-010 Dean, Jim
    FI-011 Cooper, Steve
    FI-012 Youngblood, Sylvester

Congratulations to all the competitors! We look forward to the 2nd Tiger Claw Elite Championships in 2007! You'll find the Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifiers already listed in our Calendar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No more Chinese divisons?

Did I hear this weekend at Disney that Tiger Claw is having the Chinese divisions for one more year and ending it unless they get more people to enter those particular divisions?

Where the heck did you hear that?

Chinese stays!
    This year was a huge experiment for TCEC. It was the first time. We didn't expect that high of a turnout yet. Frankly, we couldn't have handled that many more this year. People need to learn what TCEC is. We need to learn that too. It's an experiment, in progress. Integrating all the different styles and levelling the playing field is a crazy undertaking. But we learned a lot and we'll be coming at you even harder in 2007.

Actually, we're looking seriously into improving our Chinese sections. Here's a few to the changes that we're working on:
    - Clearer parameters to distinguish between traditional kung fu and modern wushu
    - Clearer parameters to distinguish between modern wushu and open.
    - Integrating the other internal arts into our Tai Chi divisions so that becomes more of an open internatal event.

Of course, we hope that more people come out to play at TCEC, especially the Chinese divisions. I only did one - the local one here - and I was disappointed that there was such a small traditional kung fu showing. Our judges were disappointed about that too, since we had some decent traditional judges like GM Lily Lau, Sifu Bryant Fong, Sifu Art Novak. If a solid traditionalist had shown up, they could have cleaned house.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Chinese stays!
    This year was a huge experiment for TCEC. It was the first time. We didn't expect that high of a turnout yet. Frankly, we couldn't have handled that many more this year. People need to learn what TCEC is. We need to learn that too. It's an experiment, in progress. Integrating all the different styles and levelling the playing field is a crazy undertaking. But we learned a lot and we'll be coming at you even harder in 2007.

Actually, we're looking seriously into improving our Chinese sections. Here's a few to the changes that we're working on:
    - Clearer parameters to distinguish between traditional kung fu and modern wushu
    - Clearer parameters to distinguish between modern wushu and open.
    - Integrating the other internal arts into our Tai Chi divisions so that becomes more of an open internatal event.

Of course, we hope that more people come out to play at TCEC, especially the Chinese divisions. I only did one - the local one here - and I was disappointed that there was such a small traditional kung fu showing. Our judges were disappointed about that too, since we had some decent traditional judges like GM Lily Lau, Sifu Bryant Fong, Sifu Art Novak. If a solid traditionalist had shown up, they could have cleaned house.

my sifu did pretty good at this past one in orlando.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

heard wrong message

Sorry, I must have heard that in the small crowd of Kung Fu guys I was grouped with. That news is good to hear, but there was only a handful of us traditional guys in Orlando and a couple of Tai Chi people there. With such a small turnout, they must have thought that it wouldn't last much longer.
    I am really happy to see a tournament like the ones that have been put out lately. I posted a question earlier on another forum asking why more traditionalist don't show up and it quickly turned political. I was hoping to see more traditional Kung Fu at this tournament especially but they were a no show. Coming down from Minnesota, I thought Orlando , along with this being the final Tiger Claw Event, would bring out the big guns from the big schools. Didn't happen. Not sure why some schools are willing to put on a night show exibition but won't compete in the tourney.
    Oh well, what do you do? I will try and show up when the finances are there.
    Thanks for the great CMA divisions. Hope they fill up in the future.

How do you two think it went from a TCMA perspective?

We're still working out the bugs in delivering a good solid TCMA division. I think everyone in the tournament circuit is challenged by this to some degree. We'd be interested in your insights on how the finals went for TCMA and how you might think we can improve. I wasn't at this one, as you know, and I've yet to see all the results, video, etc.

For one thing, I understand we're going to eliminate running a qualifier at the DMAF near Orlando. That TCEC event will just be prequalified competitors - a true finals! We tried it this year and it made things too complicated.

Thanks for your support, gentleman. Hope to see you next year!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thoughts

I thought the whole tourney went well. I prequalified in California so I was expecting to compete with the other prequalified competitors but I don't think I did or not enough people showed up. I think that is the biggest issue with the TCEC is that it sounds good saying you pre qualified but if nobody else that qualified shows up what are you supposed to do. I don't really know how to make changes if the biggest problem is having enough people to fill the traditional divisions.
    The one problem that I didn't care for in the traditional division was having enough room to do my form. The Wushu guys had the main stage which was a nice size, but we had to do our traditional open hand forms and weapons on two smaller areas. It was nice that they tried to make it bigger for us but please, I am 6 foot and shaolin forms take up a lot of room. That certainly was not an excuse as to how I did, I should know how to adapt but it did make it a little bit harder. I am not asking to be on the main stage just to have enough room to do a form without worrying about taking the judges out.
    Again, I thought you put on a great event for CMA to advertise for itself, it is just up to us to use these events to their full potential. I will certainly be to as many as I can make it to wether or not the room is increased for us. I amazes me to read these forums hearing people talk about how great CMA is but nobody will show up at a tournament that is not sanctioned by someone to help further CMAs future. Thanks again. See you in California.
    Minnesota

Thanks for you input, acepossum!

I think the TCMA divisions are the most challenging. We're working on making lots of improvements there. Thanks for supporting our experiment. We'll be coming at you next year with improved rules, and hopefully more competitors. Hope to see you out there.

Which CA tournament did you qualify at?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CA qualifier

The Disney Land tourney last Febuary was the one I qualified at.
    One other thing I thought of that might make the TCMT a little more exciting would be to make the championship competitions a bigger deal. This last tournament, if it hadn't been announced nobody would have known that our divisions were competing for the final winner of the season. Just for the Championship at the end of the year anyhow, maybee to have the TCMT divisions on the main stage. Just a thought, might give a little more motivation for people to enter rather than just the open events. But on the other hand it might scare some people away.
    Darren

Disney's Martial Art Festival Live Broadcast (REPLAY) can be seen here: http://aabd.disney.go.com/media/dwws...ing/index.html

Enjoy!!!

BTW, please give you feedback on the show.
    Last edited by Silent Assassin; 11-15-2006 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Last chance for the Replay

Disney only keeps the replays up for a short period, so if you haven't seen it, I believe this is the last week. It's free and Disney is probably keeping track of how many log on to it, so it will contribute to our efforts if you go have a look-see.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From deep red to cool blue...

Check out the TCEC website. It's been revamped for 2007. More updates to come.

See you all at Disneyland Martial Arts Festival @ Disneyland® Resort, Anaheim, CA, Feb. 3-4
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Claw Seminars

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting four seminars at the Disneyland® Martial Arts Festival, February 3rd, 2006, at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. The Disneyland® Martial Arts Festival is the first Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifier for 2007. See the official Tiger Claw Elite Championships website for more or the Tiger Claw Foundation website for more.

The four seminars include The Cane by Cane Master Mark Shuey, Nunchaku by Sensei Chuck Hansen, Iron Body by Grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng and Sparring by multiple title holder Kyle Richards.

To register, contact Jonny Oh (510) 669-1100 jonny@tigerclaw.com or go online at www.tournament.info/clinics.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pre-registration closes soon

If you pre-register now, you still may qualify to receive a FREE limited-edition Tiger Claw Elite Championship Shoulder Pack.

Please note that the contact person has changed to Manny Melendez at manny@tigerclaw.com (same phone number as above).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips