Hello all,

Some serious thought should have started years ago on the question "will China host the 2008 Olympics and introduce Wushu".......? Now that WC has been accepted (1998) into the large realm of the PRC Wushu system, what should/could the WC competition categories consists of?

So far there has been some Chi Sau activities in the PRC. Also, some WC people got smashed up in the San Sau full contact fights....but not a whole lot overall!!!

Yip Ching mentioned to me two years ago that he was hoping that the WC family could field a San Sau (open hand) team. Yip Chun is pushing for a chi sau tournament format.

Personally, I cannot see a strict standard on any of the WC hand or the WC weapon sets! I also hate to see WC people beating on each other for glory and story!

My "4-3X5" Competition Proposal

I wish to propose a demanding "reflex based" competition system in the following four categories of skill (Chi Sau, San Sau "distance", Kwan "staff", and Do) be adopted. Forget judging the sets, there are too many differences to define and judge.

In each of the four(4) categories, the competitor faces three(3) randomly picked attacks from five(5) different attackers (not other WC competitors). Hence the name "4-3X5" is born.

The competitor can then demonstrate his/her reaction counters (three-five motions) against various attackers. Judges, will know in advance what type of attack is coming and can look for applied skill. All attacks are at 90-100% speed but not full power-"pulled".

With five judges in each competition category - the high and low scores are thrown out, while the middle three judged scores are averaged. It will be necessary to selected a sizable group of non-competing (as neutral) attackers in each of the four competition categories to provide the (randomly selected) attacks. Having "null" or neutral attackers will eliminate most (but not all) of the petty ugliness that is expected between egos, school, and assocation.

Each competitor is judged like the Olympic Ice Skaters....by their final total scores, not by destroying others in the WC family.

In each of the assigned attacks, the Attacker will have the option to use a one count (one direct punch/kick) or two count (two moves.... a left feint followed by a right hook/kick) attack. Allowing more than two count combination attacks by the attacker gets far too dangerous and bloody.

Yes, I am aware that selecting neutral attackers maybe difficult. However, selecting attackers from other arts (especially attacking arts)is a possibility. Designated Chi sau attackers can stay within the WC family.

My thoughts are posted....assuming that something WC is needed for the Olympics and that China will be hosting the Olympics in 2008 - let this forum have your constructive thoughts.....? These maybe "BIG" assumptions indeed but they are real possibilities!!!!!!

Regards to all,
John DiVirgilio - Hawaii