Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Beijing Olympics

probably more now that even western leaders feel entitled to such behaviours.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Smile wudang kungfu

hello, this is my first time come here, in this website, i know a lot of kungfu, very good. i will introduce a wonderful wudang kungfu website:

www.daoistkungfu.com

Thumbs up

I think that 2008 people playing tai chi in a formation of a solid circle is cool.

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXUvCjHCiXg

Tai Chi statues at exhibit at bei jing univ.

way cool.

the sculptor and designer are from taiwan.

I don't understand why in swimming the world record is broken in about every race. This is not true in track and field. Tonight I've seen 4 races and all have been world records. This can't happen forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    that is why I like Zhang Yi Mou's opening ceremonies.

the history parts, children representing, exploring space, etc are ok.

but the drum beating is the best...
    Yeah, at least two for just that song... OK, I can buy the CG fireworks (NBC CGed a fire in a grate for the Atlanta Olympics too, but at least they weren't passing it off as real and live, unlike the fireworks - though like I said, I can buy it simply because as they said it may have been difficult to catch the actual ones on film, though at least they did actually do the real ones - though it's still a bit cheeky), but using a cuter kid to lipsynch the beautifully voiced one because the singer's teeth are a bit crooked is pretty friggin low.

BTW, thoroughly enjoying the judo until some disgrace of my countrymen called Gordon (today's 90 kg) smothered the Uzbek's attempts to get all kinds of throws on him for the first four minutes or so and then complained when the Uzbek smothered just a couple of his after the Uzbek had scored... and then complained to the judges even after the bout was finished. ****ing poor sportsmanship, and very bad judo. Still, glad he lost. Brits really really **** me off sometimes. Every time we **** up some sport we blame the rules, the ref, or someone else. **** should've trained harder and tried the odd technique having got kuzushi instead of throwing his legs out like a spastic puppet.

As for the politics - who cares? The Olympics has always been a ludicrous big show. The world championships in most sports is always less political. And sure China shouldn't have got it, but it's forcing them to confront some issues and bringing some of their problems to a head anyway, so good.

I'd love to see it go back to basics, preferably before my country burdens the next generation with even more debt trying to outdo China's ****ing opening ceremony (which I thoroughly enjoyed BTW), but since even my nation of cheapskate stiffs have already spent a ludicrous amount on publicity, the bid and a vomitously lacking-in-taste logo, it's too late.

They should just make it athletics, gymnastics, swimming and martial sports and get rid of all the rest of the synchronised beach pantsball nonsense.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    They should just make it athletics, gymnastics, swimming and martial sports and get rid of all the rest of the synchronised beach pantsball nonsense.
    That would rule out rowing ... where would the UK be without that stalwart?

I broadly agree though, especially those established sports which already have a professional structure and are awash with money, e.g. soccer/football, basketball, baseball, tennis.

I was reading a Sunday newspaper and one of the unofficial events in the 1900 Olympics was poodle clipping!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/7496278.stm

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    That would rule out rowing ... where would the UK be without that stalwart?
    Can't remember how much exactly but I read we'd spent 40 odd million of lottery and government money training this year's crop of athletes: that 90 kg judo guy today was seriously a ****ing disgrace in technique and attitude, and what bright spark thought of putting a 14 year-old diver in there? Get rid of the ****ing money, and bring back hard training. Look at our national football and cricket teams: good at partying and being media wh0res and primadonnas but rarely ****ing deliver the goods. Overpaid slags the lot of them, and now the babying of the Olympiads...!? Compare it with say Joe Calzaghe who trains with worn equipment in a ****ty shack with his da.

We do a good job in rowing, but that's not why I'd keep it in: something like Grecian Olympian arts should stay.

I broadly agree though, especially those established sports which already have a professional structure and are awash with money, e.g. soccer/football, basketball, baseball, tennis.
    Yeah, that's what I mean: they could all go. And I like watching things like basketball and volleyball, but it's not really Olympian to me. And I'm speechless about beach mother****ing volleyball .
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    That would rule out rowing ...

Wouldn't that be a martial sport?

A message to all Olympians and the people that think they're remarkable:
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Yay!

When does TKD start?

Beijing, China (Sports Network) - Ronda Rousey became the first-ever American woman to win an Olympic medal in judo, as she earned bronze Wednesday in middleweight competition at the Beijing Games.

Rousey defeated Germany's Annett Boehm in the first of two bronze medal matches and will share the third-place prize with Edith Bosch of the Netherlands.

"I know it won't hurt, but it will take a lot more than this to make judo big in the USA," said Rousey, who was a silver medalist at the 2007 world championships.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Look at our national football and cricket teams: good at partying and being media wh0res and primadonnas but rarely ****ing deliver the goods. Overpaid slags the lot of them, and now the babying of the Olympiads...!? Compare it with say Joe Calzaghe who trains with worn equipment in a ****ty shack with his da.
    [/color].
    Cricket? What the F****. Who fives a rats a** about cricket. Thats an English game isn't it?

I felt so bad for Sacramone when she fell off the balance beam last night. She looked like she was going to cry. Then she steped out of bounds on the floor routine. Just wasn't her night.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I don't understand why in swimming the world record is broken in about every race. This is not true in track and field. Tonight I've seen 4 races and all have been world records. This can't happen forever.
    That's because you can't design a suit to make someone run faster, but you can design a suit to make someone swim faster.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

i havent watched any of it so far
    could someone send me the link where i can watch the full opening ceremony i cant find it anywhere.

i agree with mr. punch football basket ball volley ball curling tennis are all unnecessary for the olympics they have their own structure and world championships

the thing that takes the **** tho, is that people can no longer enter by themselves under the olympic banner, and have to be on a certain country's team which makes it far more about politics when it should really be about sportsmanship.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    When does TKD start?
    the 19th of August.