Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Beijing Olympics

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    the American commentators referred to the wu-shu as "Kuhrotty"
    dumb.
    Then again, my Mom still calls my Kwoon, a Karate School.

In the words of Chalie Brown,"AUGHHH!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    free tibet

Free Iraq

(goes both ways. but in short, America has no place meddling in Chinas internal strife, especially when it is clear that they are adapting and changing faster tahn was thought possible considering they are 1.3 Billion people!)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No country actively engaged in the occupation of another country should be allowed to compete or host the games.

The end.
    A unique snowflake

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...1,439541.story

What a GREAT start to the opening of the games in such a friendly and accomodating Land

Peace? TWS
    yea, no ****...wonder what will come out as the motive.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

So all my friends were talking about it.

The russian president, japanese prime minister, president bush, french president---

were all there.

I said, well, they were there to support their athletes and teams.

they were also there to show that they recognise the importance of good or stronger relations with China both economically and politically.

HOWEVER;

they are not necessarily supporting CPC either in domestic condition or foreign policy.

such as freedom of speech, religion, tibet or xin jiang independence, or africa policy etc etc.

--

Thumbs up

I think Zhang Yi Mou did a good job.

in showcasing the Chinese history, culture, and philosophy of harmony or he.

he painted that we have to be smart and work together to make a greener planet for all the children of 56 or 58 ethnics chinese and children of the world with big baby face posters and images.

just as Zheng He explored the seven seas with junks.

chinese would explore the space with tai kon ren/naut.

we have only one planet or living space.

let us be in harmony or he with the nature, with all chinese ethnics and with all the people in the world.

so we build a better environment for children of china and the rest of the world.

--

there were absolutely no political propaganda for cpc rules or cpc accomplishments etc

--

Zhang yi mou just painted a future and an idea, that chinese people and people of the rest world would persue for the benefit of future generation.

--

harmony with nature and harmony with people==

or he.

---

Last edited by SPJ; 08-09-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Now thats the way to run a 1/2 time program at the super bowl.

oh, wait a second they didn't have to pay them.............

yes from all reports its a modern take on Nazi Germany 1936 olympic propaganda, I been chatting with individuals over there who can't believe the amount of "Chinese Storm Troopers" just about everywhere.

The modified shaolin/taiji was pretty good, I must admit.

What this I heard about an athlete's family member being killed this morning?
    shot stabbed????

And did you get a load of the anti-aircraft missles stationed outside the stadium, would make me safe

anyhow I got my souvenier package in yesterday, nice Cap, flag, pin and a fan. What they didn't send me the mascot series dolls, now I'm pizzed.

Oh by the way, China being one of the biggest law breakers regarding pirating and copyright infringement, you wouldn't believe the tag that comes with the Cap and that it has a security strip thread inbeded in the logo. Now I'm nervous, what is it really

Well tonight is the mens gymnastics, any news on when the combat sports will be taking place - they forgot to send me a Schedule

Boxing, Judo, Taekwondo, etc.
    Oh yea saw some of the fencing, wasn't impressed at all.

peace
    Last edited by ngokfei; 08-09-2008 at 06:23 PM.

so we built a better environment for children of china and the rest of the world.
    Say what?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWLI7...eature=related

it took zhang yi mou 2 years to prepare the opening and closing ceremonies.

Zhang yi mou was heavily criticised for the anthen 2004 closing.

so he promised that no more big red latern, no miniskirts etc etc.

no "westernized" chinese stuff.

SPJ

Is there a youtube of the 8 minute Athens closing which Zhang Yimou planned? I don't think I've ever seen it.

It did have a bit of a threatening motif, in parts.

At one point (probably when the goose-stepping troops showed up to snatch the flag from the kids), I half-expected the floor of the stadium to retract and an ICBM to launch....
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 08-10-2008 at 07:35 AM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

I thought the opening ceremonies could have been better.

Don't get me wrong, In the use of technology and choreographing thousands of people they got an A+ however I just did not see a lot of creativity. It went pretty much as I thought is would go: Shoot off 20 million dollars worth of fireworks, display advance technology like the rolling scroll, use a lot of children and talk about how China is such a fun loving country.

I thnk the worse was the lighting of the touch. Let's string some guy up like in a cheap Kung Fu move and have him run though midair.

I though the dancers painting the mural and the atheletes walking through the ink pad to create the rainbow effect was probably the best part.

On a side note: I watched Mike Phelps win a gold medal last night and then be awarded his medal. I was wondering what music they were using for the national athem. I could barely recognize it. It was the worse version of the national anthem I believe I've ever heard....plus they cut it short!
    Last edited by BoulderDawg; 08-10-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I found a scary parallel to the '36 Olympics in Berlin
    Other than the fervent nationalism and militarism displayed, what parallels?

Oh wait...yeah, never mind. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

dun want to turn this into a political thread, but

here is a clip of the opening of 1936.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievWXjssU_Y

1. marching of athletes and not walking

2. salute to the fuhrer.

3. ---