Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Beijing Olympics

A few more articles from Asian news

From Vietnam:
    Wushu artist Hoa takes home silver in combat
    10:30' 25/08/2008 (GMT+7)

VietNamNet Bridge – Wushu artist Luong Thi Hoa took home a silver medal in the women's under 60kg sanshou (combat) category on the last day of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, yesterday, following 17 days of events.

Hoa, who beat Egypt's Mohamed Abdelrazek Walaa 2-1 in the semi-final, could not defeat Iran's Karimi Vardanjani Zahra in the final yesterday.

The medal was not counted in the final tally, as wushu, Vietnam's best event, was still only a demonstration sport at this year's Olympics.

Table tennis player Doan Kien Quoc, 29, who qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games after winning the regional Olympic qualifiers in Singapore earlier this year, ascended to the second round after beating David Zalcherg from Australia, ranked 438th in the world, and French Christophe Legout in the men's singles.
    Last Saturday, other wushu artists, including taolu (performance) athlete Nguyen Huy Thanh and Nguyen Thuy Ngan, added two bronzes in the men's jianshu (sword) and qiangshu (spear) combined and the women's sanshou 52kg events, respectively.

The last hope of a medal for Vietnam at Beijing, fell to taekwondo artist Nguyen Van Hung. He was defeated 1-3 by Nigeria's Chika Yagazie Chukwunerije in the first round of the men's over 80kg event last Saturday.

Hung had previously won five gold medals at the Southeast Asian Games and has now taken part in the Olympics twice in a row.

Vietnam completed the Beijing Olympics with a silver medal, won by weightlifter Hoang Anh Tuan in the men's 56kg category.

The results are reminiscent of eight years ago when taekwondo artist Tran Hieu Ngan won the women's 57kg at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Kudos

"I greatly appreciate the fact that Hoang Anh Tuan won the silver weightlifting medal. It's an historical victory for Vietnam at the Olympic Games," said vice chairman and general secretary of the Viet Nam Olympic Committee Hoang Vinh Giang.

"Tuan was heavily invested in and well-prepared for the Olympics.

"I also feel sorry for the taekwondo artists, the medal hope of Vietnam, for not taking home any medals," Giang added.

Vietnamese athletes also worked hard in athletics and table tennis at the Olympics.

Top sprinter Vu Thi Huong, 22, finished eighth in the women's 100m quarter-finals at the Beijing Olympics, clocking 11.70 seconds, not quick enough for a semi-final spot.

Table tennis player Doan Kien Quoc, 29, who qualified for the 2008 Olympic Games after winning the regional Olympic qualifiers in Singapore earlier this year, ascended to the second round after beating David Zalcherg from Australia, ranked 438th in the world, and French Christophe Legout in the men's singles.

Quoc left the Olympics after losing to powerhouse Alexei Smirnov from Russia in the second round.

Vietnam were represented by 21 athletes at this year's Olympics, competing in nine areas: wushu, taekwondo, track and field, weightlifting, shooting, table tennis, swimming, gymnastics and badminton.
    From the Philippines:
    FG has special bonus for wushu bets – not P15M
    By GERRY CARPIO
    The Philippine Star

BEIJING – First Gentleman Mike Arroyo on Saturday praised the wushu athletes for their heroic effort in winning four medals for country, saying some "special awards" are forthcoming for all four athletes who won one gold, two bronze medals and either a gold or silver in the packed Beijing 2007 wushu competitions at the Olympic Sports Center.

‘I am very proud of what they did," said the First Gentleman, who watched all the Filipinos’ bouts with wushu honorary lifetime president Francis Chan and wushu president Julian Camacho, Philippine Olympic Committee president Jose ‘Peping" Cojuangco, Philippine Sports Commission chairman William "Butch" Ramirez, POC secretary general Steve Hontiveros and other members of the Filipino community.

"They stayed here, they trained here for eight months and now it’s paying off."

The five medalists are Willy Wang who won the gold in the taolu event and Marianne Mariano and Benjie Rivera who took the bronze in the sanshou events and Mary Jane Estimar who is competing for the gold against a Chinese opponent today.

"So I say thanks to wushu officials who did their best in keeping them here in China and I thank also the boys and girls who did very well," he added. "We are very proud of all of them and all our efforts have paid off."

"At least it was so nice to sing our national anthem in the Olympics and this is the very first time it happened so we are very proud of them," he said.

When asked if Wang would be entitled to the P15 million bonus from Malacañang and private sponsors, the First Gentleman would not confirm.

"I’m sure we can find something for them. From Malacañang I don’t know but I’m sure they’ll get some cash rewards," he said.

The P15 million bonus cropped up early in the Olympics when Camacho said Pres. Arroyo had told him the wushu athletes would also be entitled to the P15 million bonus if they won the gold.

Although Camacho told The STAR the President had indeed told her of the bonus, he said he and the players wouldn’t expect that to happen.

"I told our athletes and they are one with us that the main reason we are here is to give honor and pride to our country and financial rewards are beside the question," he said.

The Beijing 2008 wushu has gathered 128 athletes from 43 countries whose entries qualified from last year’s world wushu championships.

The wushu tournament is being run concurrently with the Olympics in a bid to get the game considered for eventual Olympic inclusion.

Wushu debuted as a demonstration sport in the 1936 Berlin Games.
    From Malaysia:
    Wushu exponents wrap up campaign with creditable show

MALAYSIA wrapped up their campaign in the Wushu Tournament Beijing 2008 with two silvers and a bronze in the taolu (barehands and weapons) categories at the Olympic Sports Centre Gymnasium yesterday.

Chai Fong Ying handed Malaysia the first silver in the women’s taijiquan and taijijian combined events in the morning before Lim Yew Fai grabbed the second in the men’s jiangshu (sword) and qiangshu (spear) combined events in the evening.

The 22-year-old Fong Ying, who is also the Doha Asian Games gold medallist, was trailing Japan’s Miyaoka Ai in third spot by a marginal difference of 0.2 after the taijiquan discipline on Friday. But she put up a better performance in the taijijian (taijisword) discipline to earn 9.70 for a combined total of 19.34 points. She received the silver medal from action movie star Jet Li.

Miyaoka, who earned 9.64 in taijijian, took the bronze with a 19.30 total while China’s Cui Wenjuan secured the gold on 19.69.

Yew Fai, meanwhile, finished just 0.1 point ahead of Vietnam’s Nguyen Huy Thanh with his total of 19.32. Chai Fong Wei delivered a bronze in the women’s gunshu and daoshu combined events with 19.16 for Malaysia’s fifth medal of the world meet, held concurrently with the Beijing Olympics.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a US reporter applies to protest during the Olympics

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/op....html?emc=eta1

To put a smiley face on its image during the Olympics, the Chinese government set aside three “protest zones” in Beijing. Officials explained that so long as protesters obtained approval in advance, demonstrations would be allowed.

So I decided to test the system.

Following government instructions, I showed up at an office of the Beijing Public Security Bureau, found Window 12 and declared to the officer, “I’m here to apply to hold a protest.”

What I didn’t realize is that Public Security has arrested at least a half-dozen people who have shown up to apply for protest permits. Public Security is pretty shrewd. In the old days it had to go out and catch protesters in the act. Now it saves itself the bother: would-be protesters show up at Public Security offices to apply for permits and are promptly detained. That’s cost-effective law enforcement for you.

Fortunately, the official at Window 12 didn’t peg me as a counterrevolutionary. He looked at me worriedly and asked for my passport and other ID papers. Discovering that I was a journalist, he asked hopefully, “Wouldn’t you rather conduct an interview about demonstrations?”

“No. I want to apply to hold one.”

His brow furrowed. “What do you want to protest?”

“I want to demonstrate in favor of preserving Beijing’s historic architecture.” It was the least controversial, most insipid topic I could concoct.

“Do you think the government is not doing a good job at this?” he asked sternly.

“There may be room for improvement,” I said delicately.

The official frowned and summoned two senior colleagues who, after a series of frantic phone calls, led me into the heart of the police building. I was accompanied by a Times videographer, and he and a police videographer busily videoed each other. Then the police explained that under the rules they could video us but we couldn’t video them.

The Public Security Bureau (a fancy name for a police station) gleams like much of the rest of Beijing. It is a lovely, spacious building, and the waiting room we were taken to was beautifully furnished; no folding metal chairs here. It’s a fine metaphor for China’s legal system: The hardware is impeccable, but the software is primitive.

After an hour of waiting, interrupted by periodic frowning examinations of our press credentials, we were ushered into an elegant conference room. I was solemnly directed to a chair marked “applicant.”

Three police officers sat across from me, and the police videographer continued to film us from every angle. The officers were all cordial and professional, although one seemed to be daydreaming about pulling out my fingernails.

Then they spent nearly an hour going over the myriad rules for demonstrations. These were detailed and complex, and, most daunting, I would have to submit a list of every single person attending my demonstration. The list had to include names and identity document numbers.

In addition, any Chinese on a name list would have to go first to the Public Security Bureau in person to be interviewed (arrested?).

“If I go through all this, then will my application at least be granted?” I asked.

“How can we tell?” a policeman responded. “That would prejudge the process.”

“Well, has any application ever been granted?” I asked.

“We can’t answer that, for that matter has no connection to this case.”

The policemen did say that if they approved, they would give me a “Demonstration Permission Document.” Without that, my demonstration would be illegal.

I surrendered. The rules were so monstrously bureaucratic that I couldn’t even apply for a demonstration. My Olympic dreams were dashed. The police asked me to sign their note-taker’s account of the meeting, and we politely said our goodbyes.

Yet even though the process is a charade, it still represents progress in China, in that the law implicitly acknowledges the legitimacy of protest. Moreover, a trickle of Chinese have applied to hold protests, even though they know that they are more likely to end up in jail than in a “protest zone.” Fear of the government is ebbing.

My hunch is that in the coming months, perhaps after the Olympics, we will see some approvals granted. China is changing: it is no democracy, but it’s also no longer a totalitarian state.

China today reminds me of Taiwan in the mid-1980s as a rising middle class demanded more freedom. Almost every country around China, from Mongolia to Indonesia, Thailand to South Korea, has become more open and less repressive — not because of the government’s kindness but because of the people’s insistence.

I feel that same process happening here, albeit agonizingly slowly. Someday China’s software will catch up with its hardware.
    funny and sad at the same time
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Wow, how did I miss this one?

Wall Street Journal - There's a nice video version if you follow the link.
    Inner Peace? Olympic Sport? A Fight Brews
    Kung Fu's Absence From Games Reflects Divide Over Art Form
    By IAN JOHNSON
    August 20, 2008; Page A14

MOUNT WUDANG, China -- At the Olympics in Beijing, spectators have been treated to the flips, kicks and punches of judo from Japan and taekwondo from Korea.
    China's Martial Artists Getting Their Kicks

But except for an unofficial competition due to begin Thursday in the capital, they won't have seen any martial arts from China, even though Asian martial arts originated in Chinese fighting styles widely known as kung fu.

Why that is could be put down to the usual reasons that any sport is kept out of the Olympics. Some say the Games are already bursting at the seams and can't host another sport -- 302 events are on tap this year in Beijing. Others say Chinese martial arts aren't popular enough internationally to warrant inclusion.

But travel to this cloud-covered mountain in central China and you are confronted with a more central question: How do you make a sport out of something that might not really be a sport? And if you try, what do you risk losing?

Mount Wudang is one of the centers of Chinese martial arts, which are more accurately known as wushu. The mountain is home to a bevy of Taoist temples, many dedicated to Zhenwu, the Perfected Warrior. Legend has it that tai chi shadow boxing was revealed to a Taoist alchemist while he slept here. The mountain's fame spread internationally when dramatic fighting scenes in the film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" were shot on its slopes.

Yet the form of martial arts practiced here -- and in many parts of China -- are hardly of the punch-'em-up variety. Students learn to kick and spin and punch, but the goal isn't so much to knock down opponents as to use the physical activity to achieve a meditative inner peace, a cultivation of the mind.

"There aren't a lot of fancy, rehearsed actions in Wudang martial arts," says Chen Lisheng, a Taoist and martial-arts instructor. "It is humble and plain. It starts from the nature of the human being."

That was a problem for China's ambitious sports administrators. During the 1990s, they began to organize wushu with an eye toward adding them to the Olympics. They identified 129 schools of fighting but realized this was too complicated. So forms were mixed together and stripped down. The inner cultivation was jettisoned. The slow movements were discarded and the more theatrical side played up. The result is part gymnastics and part boxing: A competitor is judged on a set of routines he performs on the mat alone, like a floor exercise, and he spars with another competitor, both in boxing gloves.

"It's a question of how do you transform a traditional art form into a competitive sport," says Nancy Chen, an anthropologist at University of California, Santa Cruz, who has written on the topic. "Or can you?"

Officials at the China Wushu Association concede they have had to make major compromises. The association's general director, Kang Gewu, says the entire idea of competition is foreign to Chinese martial arts. Traditionally, martial artists didn't compete against each other, and there was no ranking or points system. "It owes something to the forces of market economics," he says.

But the idea was correct, he says. If wushu is to join the international sporting world, then it must become like other judged sports. That means standard routines so judges can award points and winners be identified. Cultivating one's inner soul is fine, but how can judges give points for that, he asks.

Mount Wudang's Taoist martial-arts masters are supportive of the government's overall thrust. "We want to popularize wushu, too," says Mr. Chen. But the way it is being done leaves something to be desired, he says.

Mr. Chen explains what he means during a visit to an institute of Taoist studies to meet students. Officials invested $100 million in an institute that teaches the Taoist classics, music, art and martial arts. But none of the students learn the government's version of wushu because instructors deem it too simple.

Mr. Chen enters a courtyard and surveys young Taoists practicing martial arts. Mr. Chen nods appreciatively as the three young men, their shoulder-length hair tied up in knots on their head, perform "Crouching Tiger Fist," a complicated series of slow moves punctuated by explosive kicks and punches.

"The key isn't the punches," he says, "it's the stuff in between. It's the breathing, the way they move their feet, their attitude." By contrast, government-sponsored wushu competitions "cater to society's needs nowadays," he says. "It tries to satisfy the demands from the public."

Another prominent Taoist martial artist, Shi Fei, is less diplomatic. "Competitive wushu is pretty, but it's empty," he says. Mr. Shi left Mount Wudang 10 years ago to open a school at the foot of the mountain. His 20 or so students learn only traditional wushu.

"Children can learn the government form of wushu," he says. "It's fine for beginners. But no one who really wants to learn wushu learns that. It's like a show."

The lack of support is reflected in the China Wushu Association's difficulty in getting its sport into the Olympics.

"Virtually nobody outside of China performs their form of wushu," says Stanley Henning, an independent academic who has written widely on Asian martial arts. "It's like a dance routine."

Officially, there is an International Wushu Federation, but its officials are all Chinese and its address is the same as Mr. Kang's China Wushu Federation. It is sponsoring an international competition that begins Thursday, but it doesn't have sanctioning by the International Olympic Committee.

One problem, Mr. Henning says, is that Japan and Korea beat China to the punch. While China was caught up in political turmoil, Japan got judo accepted in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and South Korea got taekwondo accepted in the 1988 Seoul Games. Wushu has had a hard time defining itself because those two sports -- which primarily involve throwing, kicking and punching -- have already covered most of the basic fighting techniques of wushu.

Back on Mount Wudang, Taoist Master Shi is taking his students through their paces. He pulls out one, a boy of 10, and has him perform that national standard form. The boy jumps around the square, kicking his legs up and punching into the air.

"Now watch this," he says and instructs the boy to do "Xing Yi," a style that might be translated as "form with meaning." The boy stands with legs apart, bends his knees and lowers his center of gravity. He moves his legs slowly, like a fighter gauging his opponent. Then with a quick whirl he lashes his leg around like a roundhouse punch.

"Guess which one is better in a real street fight?" Mr. Chen asks, a smirk breaking out beneath his small mustache. "It might be slow, but our ancestors handed us this down for a reason."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just one more today on the closing

It mentions Taguo which is cool by me.

Closing ceremony will be just as spectacular
    BEIJING EXPRESS: CELESTE FONG

TWO weeks have passed since the Beijing Olympics’ opening ceremony and most visitors here are saying the Chinese capital is the best place in the world to be in right now.

“It (Beijing) is almost like Singapore,” exclaimed some foreign visitors I met on the streets.

Beijing has been spruced up, thanks to the floral sculptures, colourful flower decorations, leafy trees, clean roads and extra lighting for the Olympics.

Even the run-down housing quarters in the back alleys behind the high-rise buildings off the main street in the Central Business District (CBD) here have been boarded off behind giant wall panels covered with sheets featuring blue skies and white clouds and the Olympic slogan “One World, One Dream” in Chinese.

A few days ago, my cab driver tried to beat the traffic by going through the back alleys.

If he had taken the other route, I would have forgotten this living space for the local residents and perhaps migrant workers. As it was, I noticed a dark-coloured mop hung up to dry on top of the wall panel right above one of the 10 characters for the “One World One Dream” Chinese slogan.

“Of course, Beijing is very beautiful, especially now, but these are all money,” replied my cabby when asked if Beijing would be able to keep its “green image” after the Games.

Well, “the new Beijing” showing its thousands of years of history and culture as well as its modernism, development and technological prowess has, of course, been the talk of town.

But the lip-sync controversy involving two little girls, which has marred the splendid opening ceremony, has also been put on the international spotlight.

(If you have not heard of it yet, here’s the gist of the so-called mini Olympic scandal: a representative of the Chinese government did not like the looks of Yang Peiyi, seven, who was chosen to sing at the opening ceremony. So he had a prettier and cuter substitute, Lin Miaoke, nine, to stand in front of the world at the Bird’s Nest to lip-sync “Ode to the Motherland” along to Yang’s voice.)

And now people are also paying attention to details like whether Peiyi would be included in the closing ceremony today.

In general, netizens here have expressed roaring support for little Peiyi.

A web portal ran a poll on the popularity of Lin versus Yang and more than 68% voted for Yang out of some 34,660 users who took part in the poll.

Hurdler Liu Xiang’s withdrawal, no doubt, triggered an immense shockwave and various opinion polls here showed that many reacted with understandable sympathy. But there are people who condemned the poster boy of China as “a fake”, unfortunately.

For tonight’s closing, those who have seen the rehearsals say “the show will be an entertainment spectacular” and advise that we keep our eyes on the part when the Olympic flame is extinguished.

And you may have heard by now that two of Britain’s hottest celebrities – David Beckham and Leona Lewis – will be featured in the “London’s Eight Minute” section after London Mayor Boris Johnson receives the Olympic flag.

According to London 2012 director of ceremonies Bill Morris, it will be “simple and creative.”

“Don’t over analyse what we are doing,” Morris told a press conference earlier at the 2008 Beijing International Media Centre.

“Enjoy it, join in the fun, join in the celebrations and what we hope is this will simply mark the start of those celebrations,” he said.

And don’t say I didn’t tell you not to miss the Shaolin kungfu (martial arts).

About 200 exponents from Shaolin Tagou Wushu School established by Master Liu Baoshan, whom I interviewed some years ago, will surprise us with what they can do in their “special shoes”!

As for me, I am still choosing which of the places with giant screens in the Chinese capital I will go to for tonight’s closing ceremony!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wall Street Journal - There's a nice video version if you follow the link.

that's a great article.

the vid: everything else was pinyin pronunciation except the T in taoist...or do I have that backwards???? whichever, it was all one except for that.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Chinese guy won against the mongolian because the mongolian bowed out claiming his right shoulder hurt too much to continue. It was not apparently seriously damaged but, whatever.

ok, cool, thanks...was watching while eating at a restaurant and missed what happened

In the light heavyweight bout it LOOKED really even between the Irish boxer and the Chinese. I'd have been hard pressed to determine a winner. That being said the judges favored the Chinese boxer something fierce and I think a lot of people will be calling the Irish boxer as the rightful winner as a backlash against the rotten judging.

well, I'll probably always bet on an Irish boxer over most anyone else

The super heavyweight bout however did not suffer from a pro-China bias in judging. The Italian dominated the fight and the score reflected this.
    someone was telling me that the scoring was the problem...that at least 3 of the judges had to hit the button all within a second of each other for it to count...if the timing wasn't right then the score didn't count.

sounds like there needed to have been trials to qualify as a judge!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yes. everyone is reading and watching closely about the protest zones or parks.

the existance of the ideas and physical place are a giant leap/step forward already.

foreigners are foreigners. they get deportation when the worst comes worst.

however, chinese would get labor camp re-education etc.

the first big scale of freedom of "expression" came about when si chuan earthquake hit, all tv stations and internet are free to report the scales of calamities--

--

there is a political/party commisar system in place.

the police station is the place to apply for protest permit, but it is the political/party commisar to grant approval or not.

there are political/party machines/staff in the government, the military, along with the regular personale.

--

It is nice to know, all olympians competed and went home safely.

that is what everyone wanted or wished for or hoped for.

utilization of the protest parks or not.

next stop. london 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    someone was telling me that the scoring was the problem...that at least 3 of the judges had to hit the button all within a second of each other for it to count...if the timing wasn't right then the score didn't count.

sounds like there needed to have been trials to qualify as a judge!

This is true. At least 3 judges had to hit the score button within 1 second of each other to count a point. That being said there were CLEAR hits that the Irish boxer was landing that just didn't get any score and there were IFFY hits that the Chinese boxer was landing that did. That's not down to poor reaction times. The judges showed a bias.

Now, again, the Irish and Chinese boxers were close. I'm pointedly not saying "the Irish guy won". I'm saying that the score should have been **** close to a tie with it possibly going either way and instead it was listed as if the Chinese boxer dominated.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    next stop. london 2012.

Ahem... Vancouver 2010.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

More follow up

From China Daily (with a quote from Tat)
    Wushu battles for place at Olympics
    China Daily
    Updated: 2008-08-23 07:47

You've seen it in the Matrix. Bruce Lee was its most famous proponent. An animated panda tickled audiences this year. Now practitioners hope that wushu, more commonly known as kungfu, will be contested at the Olympics.

Wushu's backers are trying to cram the millennia-old art on to a packed Olympics calendar, arguing a growing following. They claim a victory for a sport that for the first time held an unofficial competition on the sidelines of the Games in Beijing.
    Zhao Qingjian of China performs during men's Daoshu (broadsword play) of the Beijing 2008 Wushu Competition in Beijing, China, Aug. 21, 2008. Zhao Qingjian ranked first in men's Daoshu competition with a score of 9.85. (Xinhua/Liu Lihang)

China's growing clout, hit films such as Kung Fu Panda and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and international stars Jet Li and Jackie Chan have helped the martial art lure devotees from Vietnam to Sweden.

"They have boxing at the Olympics. They have taekwondo. This is all that in one package," Sarah Ponce, 32, said after a sparring match. She took three months off her job to train and paid her own way from the United States to China.
    Andrzej Topczewski of Poland performs during men's Daoshu (broadsword play) of the Beijing 2008 Wushu Competition in Beijing, China, Aug. 21, 2008. Andrzej Topczewski ranked 9th in men's Daoshu competition with a score of 9.25. (Xinhua/Chen Yehua)

But it might take more than a decade before wushu's signature whirling kicks and lightning punches will be seen at the Games.

Sports for the 2012 Olympics have been decided and wushu is not shortlisted for 2016. Its advocates are holding out for 2020.

The Games in Beijing showcased 28 sports. In London, the number will fall to 26 after the exit of baseball and softball. And a slew of other sports will be vying for a place in 2016, such as squash, rugby, golf and karate.

The International Wushu Federation is one of the IOC's 31 recognized federations along with cricket, golf, karate, rugby and squash, meaning a spot on the program is not impossible.

"Wushu will need to prepare for submitting a strong file in 2011," Jan Fransoo, president of the Association of the IOC Recognized International Sports Federation, said.

The 2020 Games will be determined seven years before.

Ever since Bruce Lee wielded his double-section staff, more popularly known as the nunchuks, wushu has evolved into a graceful art similar to gymnastic floor exercises.

This week in Beijing, practitioners compete in a range of events: sanshou or full-contact sparring akin to Thai boxing; nanquan or graceful somersaults and punching manoeuvres; daoshu, or flashy Chinese sabers.

"We know it's not easy, but we're working quite hard. We are widening our worldwide presence and promoting wushu as a sport internationally by having more demonstrations abroad," Han Jianming, spokesman for the Chinese Wushu Association, said.

Tat Mau Wong, vice-president of the USA Wushu-Kung Fu Federation, admitted that cash is hard to come by in a country that swears by basketball, baseball and football.

Still, some are happy to make it to the Beijing Olympics.

"Although it is not an official Olympic event, this is the first time wushu has come so close to the Olympics," Ma Lingjuan, ranked first in a weapons competition, said.

"This is a great opportunity to show the world wushu."

And more from the Philippines
    Wushu athletes get P1.5m
    By Peter Atencio

FOUR wushu athletes, who have won medals in the special event of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, stand to receive at least P1.5 million in incentives.

Wushu Federation of the Philippines chairman Francis Chan yesterday got this commitment from the First Gentleman Mike Arroyo and the Philippine Sports Commission.

Chan said during a press conference yesterday that Arroyo has assured a total of P1 million in bonuses after Willy Wang won the gold medal in nanquan event.

PSC chairman William “Butch” Ramirez informed Chan of the government sports agency’s commitment to hand out P500,000 as a reward for the one gold, one-silver and two bronze output of the Filipino wushu competitors.

The P500,000 incentive, according to Ramirez, was approved after the PSC board discussed what should be given to wushu’s medalists in an early morning meeting.

Incentives amounting to more than P15 million was supposed to be given to the first Filipino gold medalist in the Beijing Olympics.

But wushu was not included because it was not considered a regular event.

“Official or not, they, the wushu athletes, brought glory and honor to the country,” said Chan.

Wang’s teammates Mary Jane Estimar took silver while Marian Mariano and Benjie Rivera got bronze medals.

Chan said the federation has also gotten commitments from businessman Ramon Ang for additional incentives through San Miguel Corp. He also revealed that Pagcor is also setting aside a still undetermined amount.

“This will really inspire the athletes to go on,” added Chan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

crazy ness
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Tat

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    From China Daily (with a quote from Tat)

Master Wong is one nice fellow. I'm actually surprised he took time out of his busy schedule to say something
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

The Wushu Tournament Beijing results are in

See the official IWuF site for complete results.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Ahem... Vancouver 2010.
    winter and summer = 2 different things.

london 2012.

i know summer people who could give 2 cares about winter and vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

This article is so misguided. First of all, there's a huge application process to become an Olympic sport that we are all painfully aware of now. Second, the full-contact part is slightly off, since wushu embraces sanshou and taolu. Third, I'm not sure we showed wushu to the world at all. I was watching and didn't see any coverage on NBC, Telemundo or MBC. The only coverage I saw was here on the web.

Plea for cricket in 2012
    Katharine Barney, Evening Standard

A campaign has been launched to include cricket in the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Labour Assembly member Murad Qureshi has set up an online petition and Facebook page. He wants the sport to be included in its Twenty20 form, in which matches normally take between two and three hours.

Traditionally, each Olympic host nation includes a national sport as a "demonstration" event. China showcased Wushu, a full-contact sport derived from traditional martial arts.

Mr Qureshi said: "If the Chinese can show Wushu to the world, I can see no reason why London shouldn't have cricket in 2012. It is this country's summer game after all." He will present the petition to the International Olympics Committee and London Organising Committee next month. To sign it go to: www.twenty20for2012.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips