Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Beijing Olympics

I personally dont care what anyone says. I have faith. WuShu is just to raw not to add. At least a demo spot. I think it would be an incredable insult to all of china if the rest of the world said no to one of china's greates past times. If the they dont at least let it in as a Demo sport I will be protesting for sure. I never have before but I will start. I think that the rest of the martial arts circles are just afraid that once the world is more exposed to the level of engergy WuShu/Kung Fu has to offer, everyone will start wanting to learn CMA. Cause its the bomb. Everyone knows that a true CMA master is rounded fully and can do it all. But can a Tae Kwon Do master break iron bars with his forehead like the Shaolin? Or do 7 foot backflips standing still. No. Its a conspiracy i tell you. Or i may just be going off on some paranoid anticts. Either way I trust Wushu will began to take on a dominant role in the Martial community within the next few years.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

2008 olympics

Are there any news about the possibility of wushu being a part of it?

I think it is offically dead.

Not even a demo or performance.

however, Wu Shu Tao Lu and Wu Shu San Da are regularly held in east Asia games every 4 years.

And yet, we would always remember the Kuo Shu demo in Berlin Olympic in 1930's.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_3621265.htm

Last edited by SPJ; 11-19-2005 at 06:38 PM.

They're still talking about some sort of opening performance...

...but it looks dead as a medal or demonstration event. There's talk of some sort of simultaneuos competition - there's all sorts of other competitions that are run around the Olympics, like the para-Olympics, but they're pretty focused and can't really hold much of a candle to the main events, of course.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Being realistic...if it is not a medal event and not a demo event...it is nothing.

Even with medal events, coverage could be scant or none at all.

However, as neither one, it will get no coverage, no boost, and the only ones who will hear about it will be those that are already involved.

At the opening of an envelope in china, there's a wushu demonstration. You can count on the opening ceremonies having it.

As a demonstration sport, me no think it gonna fly. Still no 100% for sure organization that is unified and so the IOC will not support it until everyone has their poop in a group.

And we know just how difficult it is to get a few kungfu teachers to sit in the same room with each other let alone be civil with their tongues and behaviours hahaha.
    It's like a freaking religion for petes sake. Better to have monks than clerics in my opinion as far as that goes.

I'd like to see pankration come back...even if it is just mma. lol that would totally roxors.

but there's already lots of martial arts in the olympics anyway.

judo, tkd, boxing, wrestling, fencing, archery and other pseudo martial arts.
    Do we really need performance wushu as an olympic sport? It's got it's own thing going on anyway. Let the money go to the more obscure sports like frilly whippy dancy tissue whips and somersaulting while throwing the ball. How else are those already rpiviledged kids going to make it through vasser without the olympic program?

....oh, i'm sorry, I'm not a bigsupporter of the olympics anymore ever since they brought in curling, I figure it's just a big sausage fest with tom boys.

I mean come on...Curling? WTF are they thinking???
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what would be the point of having a competition where literally only one country would be capable of competing in any real sense.

Americans and europeans can't compete with a country that makes it one's JOB to train in wushu.

They could just pull out the monks from their travelling show Wheel of Life and own everyone. It'd really be pointless.

Kind of like having basketball in the Olympics after the US first invented it in the early 20th century... Seriously. There'd be like 1000 Michael Jordans of Wushu coming out of China. And they can all do the same move in sync and look the same... it's amazing. And it'd be an easy gold for china.

No point.

126 days to go

I need to compile all the Beijing Olympic threads now. I like the title of this one, so I'll start doing it here.

Jackie Chan, Zhang Ziyi to Sing for Olympic Film
    2008-04-03 10:21:57 CRIENGLISH.com

Stefanie Sun is in a Beijing studio on Tuesday, April 1, 2008, recording "Stand Up," the theme song for "The One," a tribute film to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. [Photo: ent.sina.com.cn]
    Related: "The One" Dedicated to Beijing Olympics

A new film about China's first Olympian will feature four top Chinese-speaking celebrities on its soundtrack, its producer said on Wednesday.

Jackie Chan, Lee-Hom Wang, Zhang Ziyi and Stefanie Sun will join together to sing "Stand Up," the theme song for "The One," producer Wang Zhebin told the Beijing Times.

"The One" is based on the story of sprinter Liu Changchun's struggle against Japanese invaders to represent China at the 1932 Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles. Supported by the Beijing Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games (BOCOG), the film was made as a tribute to the 2008 Beijing Games.

The idea to form a quartet to sing the theme song arose from the symbolic combination of four groups of Chinese artists -- Hong Kong, Taiwan, mainland and overseas Chinese -- represented by Jackie Chan, Lee-Hom Wang, Zhang Ziyi and Stefanie Sun, respectively, the report says.

Since the stars all have busy schedules and arranging a joint recording would be difficult, they will work separately and their parts will be edited together later, Wang Pingjiu, lyricist of "Stand Up" and a senior official in the BOCOG cultural committee, said. Award-winning musician Shu Nan composed the musical score for "Stand Up."

Stefanie Sun kicked off the recording in a Beijing studio on Tuesday. The Singaporean singer said she was honored to be involved.

"The One" is currently in post-production and will be ready for release next month. Earlier reports say it will be available to worldwide athletes attending the Beijing Olympics in August.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but it looks dead as a medal or demonstration event.
    Gene! Gene! Gene! Talk of this sort will bring back our troll friend from Texas yet again

Wushu and Sanshou/San Da in the olympics turned sadly into another example of a Chinese fire drill

I have no doubt they will put up a fake olympic style wushu event at the same time, telling the participants they are going to be part of the Olympics
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Didn't it take time before TKD became an Olympic event?

Like wasn't it a demo event or something first?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

among the singers

only stefanie sun or sun yan zi is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqJLE4QmyPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agdnK...eature=related

she is from singapore and won some prizes in singing.

JC can only sing low pitch songs.

Zhang Zi Yi is only so so in singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsUT_cVrYI

Wang is ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV8Iuke2Bmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRKGL6yteXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZ4i...eature=related

Last edited by SPJ; 04-03-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Our troll friend from TX?

As opposed to our troll friend from NY?

TKD was introduced as a demo sport in Seoul in '88. It didn't become a medal sport until Sydney in 2000. Read China Gets the Gold! The Beijing Olympics by me and Andy Ching to get the full story. And to reiterate, wushu did not get demo sport status. It's currently at International Federation status, which bears the appropo Olympic acronym of IF.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    As opposed to our troll friend from NY?
    oh, I'll get you Gene Ching, and your little dog too!

"IF".... how appropriate....

oh, compared to Taekwondo, TKD had competiton for women for YEARS before it became a demo sport. China sort of "forgot" to offer San Da for women, eliminating it entirely from consideration!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    the other thing to remember about TKD was that the push behind it had gotten one thing very straight very early on: total subsuming of individual "kwans" and personal stylistic quirks under the comprehensive banner of WTF TKD; in other words, they had what wushu and CMA in general will never have: uniformity - the IOC doesn't care about historical squabbles, it doesn't give a cr@p about nuance - it wants sports that can be quickly summarized and served up to the public without dissent; unfortunately, the reach of the PRC is based on more on coercion than anything else, so of course their grand vision for wushu ends pretty much at their borders: they didn't send out and fund an army of sifus like the South Korean gov't did for TKD teachers, and so there is no link to home in terms of bringing it all back to momma; and obviously the WTF was smart enough to realize that the IOC wasn't going to budge in terms of who is calling the shots, and got in lockstep with them, pretty much no questions asked; of course, TKD is still rife with internal favoritism, but in terms of the big picture it follows the rules same as any other sport, and again, the folks representing it are all on the same page; bottom line, China blew it big time, between lack of coordination abroad, coupled with the recent impetus of the IOC to actually cut back on the number of sports comprising the Olympics anyway

for me;

everything takes time. not really needing a time table.

as long as PRC continue to support wushu or CMA in no matter whatever forms domestically.

more researches--

as long as that there is an international league or asia and then world league.

forms competition and san da/shou etc.

moi is happy.

or moi dun mind/care if wushu is part of olympics or not.