Thread: Ong-Bak and Bloodsport

Ong-Bak and Bloodsport

Well, recently ive gotten into Martial Arts movies. Two i particularly liked were Ong-Bak and Bloodsport, because they looked very realistic ( no floating or flying, etc.) My question is, how realistic was the combat in these two movies? Ong-Bak especially, because i heard the Main character did all of the stunts himself. Any feedback would be nice, i know this is probably a very stupid question, but these two movies got my wondering especially.

you really won't find realistic combat in any movie. However, "The Bourne Identity" did a good job, so did the original "Lethal Weapon". Ong bak had lots of flying and leaping techniques - the jumping double uppercut, the drop knee from the platform above, the chase through town, etc... However, there ws a lot of good thai technique in there. Bloodsport is one of van damme's only decent movies, but no, the fighting in it was not realistic either.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Smile Ong Bak...

Well, Ong Bak in some ways reminds me of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".

I think Van Damage does have one interesting movie - "In Hell". He actually have some grappling scenes in there. Another one that is pretty interesting one starring Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro is "The Hunted" which has some cool knife fighting scenes.

Beside Bruce Lee's movies, I think I only like Jet Li's "Fist of Legend". But it's not "realistic" fighting per se. So...

In the most recent Steven Seagal release "Today You Die", he dropped Randy Couture with one punch. That pretty much tells you how Hollywood works - unrealistic when money is involved. lol... You've got the dough you got to drop the Champ any which way you want. Only in the movie and only in the movie that good old Stevie (oh the size of his ego) can drop Captain America with one single punch.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Didn't Chuck KO Randy in their last fight?

Edit: He sure did: http://www.ufcfightnews.com/ufc52.html
    Last edited by Chief Fox; 11-23-2005 at 05:01 PM.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I honestly don't think Bruce Lee's fight scenes are all that realistic either. Especially in movies like "The Big Boss" and "The Chinese Connection" when dozens of opponenets come running at him wildly and he just kicks them one after the other effortlessly. Anyone who's been in a real conflict like that knows that's just a lot of hooey.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

You mean you can't Learn real CMA from Hong Kong movies?

I wish I could learn Kung Fu Styles in 100 mins.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"