Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KUng Fu vurs Jujitsu?

KUng Fu vurs Jujitsu?

I'm curious. Maybe some of you could tell me what you think.
    If a Kung Fu practioner spent a lot of time sparring Jujitsu practioners, could you get pretty good at avoiding the fight becoming a grappling fight? This is more aimed at NorthernMantis fighters. Specifically could you prevent it from becoming a ground fight?

Hey, anyone can get pretty good at doing anything if they train like that. Its not a case of wether you do kung fu or boxing or taekwon do . You just train specifically for takedown defence.

Wong Fei Hung has a great point here. And your question is rather open ended. Any one can train to do anything if they put the time in. I dont think its about what style you do but rather how you do it.

If you want to train defense against tae kwon do..................... just duck.. LOL Just ikdding TKD players
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I am a kung fu guy who trains with jiu-jitsu MMA fighters.

The answer is yes.

My kung fu throws work. My kung fu takedown defenses work. My kung fu submissions work.

You know why?

Because they are pretty much the same as the jiu-jitsu throws, defenses, and submissions.

Barring stylistic differences (like kung fu's aversion to putting the knees on the ground, etc...) the principles are all the same.

Train them in a live enviroment against tough guys that really like making you scream like a little girl, and your Kung Fu will get much, much better.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Like what master killer said, there isnt much difference, i trained a bit in judo for very few months maybe 20 odd lessons , just to see what it was like since i had a friend who held classes and my other half is a bb in japanese jujitsu. Without knowing anything, in the beggining i would get thrown around,trying to do counter throws and the like.
    After about 5-10 lessons all i did when ppl would step in with the right side to throw me i would twisting step back with my corresponding side so they couldnt "enter" my space It was a retarded counter but i drove people nuts doing this, cause i wasnt bothered to be thrown.
    Something that wasnt influenced by any of my japanese or chinese martial arts background, it just made sense !

Learn to sprawl, as someone mentioned earlier, groundfighting is groundfighting no matter what you call it. Practice with people who are better than you and you will get better.

we just covered this in class

If faced with someone that wants to wrestle 99 percent of fighters give them what they want. They lock up and contribute to their own demise by the false sense of superiority that one gets in the beginning of the end.

In English, When being tackled instead of using arms legs to grapple (at first) continue to use all as weapons elbowing wildly without grabbing kneeing biting clawing gouging at soft targets. This forces the grappler to try to control all your limbs without your assistance. When you lock up and try to wrestle, you give him the familiar grabs and limb movement they are used to.

The reason men go to ground or lock up is to avoid being hit, plain and simple. Therefore, like i said 99% of men will accommodate the wrestling match and fight in the Ju Jitsu fashion. However, there is plenty of time to do that first you must damage the assailant with the weapons on your body ie fist elbow nails teeth knees forehead feet and you cannot do this while holding him or going into traditional ground fighting maneuvers.

Its funny how this came up right after i taught it thursday night

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    In English, When being tackled instead of using arms legs to grapple (at first) continue to use all as weapons elbowing wildly without grabbing kneeing biting clawing gouging at soft targets. This forces the grappler to try to control all your limbs without your assistance. When you lock up and try to wrestle, you give him the familiar grabs and limb movement they are used to.
    If you have no skill in the clinch, you are doomed. Plain and simple. Kung Fu has clinch work, and throws, and reversals. Why? Because a good fighter 100 years ago has the same skill set as a good fighter today: Striking, Throwing, and Wrestling.

The reason men go to ground or lock up is to avoid being hit, plain and simple. Therefore, like i said 99% of men will accommodate the wrestling match and fight in the Ju Jitsu fashion..
    That's not correct. Wrestlers take you down because they can control you on the ground. If you could back a guy into a corner in a stand up fight you would, right? You would take away as any advantage the other guy had, correct? Well, being on your back takes away just about every tool a striker has to work with. That's why it's Ti Da Shaui Na...
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-02-2005 at 08:21 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Thumbs up Excellent

a real good debate. Actually the grappling inherent in Chin Na is completely versatile in the clinch and we excel at limb breaking techniques employed with Ba ji snap. so i agree with your first point.

my point was that i dont grab until im satisfied that hes hurt. Im only speaking from a real fighting standpoint because thats what i thought we were doing.
    In this i have lots of first hand experience. In the ring you have to stay within the rules so many times the arm bar or the choke is more efficient.

On the second point i disagree, every time i strike hard anytime in my life they scrambled to control my weapons. So i will agree to disagree. Although i will say Ray reiterated my sentiments himself in another thread and i do have alot of bouncers/ bodygaurds that i teach that echo these thoughts.

Good discussion its good to get all perspectives on this issue.

I say no

Well, maybe, I mean if you practice something long enough you'll probably get better at it.

But against a good jujitsu guy you're eventually going to be taken down unless you defeat him with dim mak or qi blasts first.
    Last edited by IronFist; 12-03-2005 at 12:10 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i dunno ironfist, i seen a pretty good amount of jj guys get stricken in the octagon.

when it first came out, it took some adjusting to, but I think everyone is bumped hip now and though it is a good practice, it ain't the sh1t anymore.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    i dunno ironfist, i seen a pretty good amount of jj guys get stricken in the octagon.
    By using kung fu techniques? Or by adapting BJJ counters into their arsenol?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i was using bjj against a kung-fu guy.. at first hey i was dominating.. then he tried to gouge my eyes.. of course i closed my eyes n' turned my head .. then .. he did the unthinkable.. i'm sorry guys but .. after this experience i'm never going to ju-jitsu a kung-fu guy ever again well.. figure it out.. 2 words .. ball pinch

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    By using kung fu techniques? Or by adapting BJJ counters into their arsenol?
    Does bJJ have the market cornered on Kick Punch Throw Lock?

Hey, let's all start the meat head testosterone induced logic that only gjj is a martial art and everything else is ineffective.

LOL.

You know how you know when you are speaking to someone who watches more tv than practices when that conversation starts. I like jj as much as the next guy, but it ain't the be all and end all. Just another thing in a long line of things that need more work.
    Kung Fu is good for you.