Thread: a potentially good use for rfid chips

a potentially good use for rfid chips

I was thinking the other day what a great idea it would be to make mandatory the implementation and installation of rfid chips into guns manufactured in G7 countries. Several of them throughout all parts.

If they are tampered with, alarm bells, but mostly, guns could be tracked wherever they are. No biggie for legit owners and a problem for non-legit possessors of illegal handguns or firearms.

I also think it would be a good idea to install on each and every bullet manufactured.

I know this doesn't speak to existing guns, but with all the money put into wars on various things, you would think this would be something that would get tabled.

thoughts?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hitler was the inventor of firearm registration and tracking.

Just something to think about....

he was very impressive...and scary

Hitler also used guns.

depends on what you do the with the same thing doesn't it? ...think about it

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    Hitler was the inventor of firearm registration and tracking.

Just something to think about....
    This is not an argument for anything but "I would like to keep my guns secret". lol

It's not a matter of who owns the gun, but where is the gun.

If a cop could look into a crowded mall and know that there were people there that had guns on em, you don't think that would make life a little easier for tyhe cop? Or the people in the mall?

something to think about.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    If a cop could look into a crowded mall and know that there were people there that had guns on em, you don't think that would make life a little easier for tyhe cop? Or the people in the mall?

something to think about.
    Then again, if everyone in the mall had guns on them, the cop could go back to eating donuts....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

DJ, what will you do when you put chips on all the guns, then one of the evil Bush clan becomes president again and confiscates all the chipped guns to better combat terrorism? Gunless liberals, conservatives and undecideds watch helpless as the first Bush dynasty declares itself ruler, "until the end of the emergency"...translated to never.

A good quote:
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
    ---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787). "
    Keep it simple, stupid.

How will the guns be confiscated and by what law would the amendment that permits people to own them be abolished?

Bit alarmist on that front I would think.
    I'm only thinking about how to curb gun violence despite where the gun comes from.

If your gun was stolen and used in a robbery or homicide would you be so quick to fall back on the thinking from the 1700's? Or would you like to know who stole it, where it is and so on?

Nothing about chipping the guns would prevent legit users from having em but it would definitely cramp the style of illegal gun users.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ - "How will the guns be confiscated..."

You want to put a chip in them, telling "the man" where they are...which by the way I'm sure criminals would figure out how to pick up that particular signal as well.

DJ - "...and by what law would the amendment that permits people to own them be abolished?"

Not a law necessarily, a "temporary measure" or Presidential order in the next state of emergency. Want an example? Look at what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, the police and national guard went door to door taking guns. Illegal and unconstitutional you say? You're right, but that didn't stop those in authority from abusing the rights of those people simply because it was "an emergency".

DJ - "Nothing about chipping the guns would prevent legit users from having em but it would definitely cramp the style of illegal gun users."

The only thing it would do is create an underground trade in the removal of rfid chips. Criminals don't leave the serial numbers on the guns they intend to commit crimes with either...
    It would be another example of threatening the rights (or future rights) of legit gun owners with stupid laws. Meanwhile, the criminals who are SUPPOSED to be targeted laugh because THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY'RE BREAKING THE LAW.
    It's like the laws against concealed carry...if you're a criminal, by definition, you don't care to break that law. It'll only affect the LAW ABIDING citizen who, now, won't carry a handgun (with which he might thwart a violent criminal/assault) because he follows the rules.
    Laws on gun restriction are the worst kind of "want to feel good even without any positive results" nonsense.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

chips couldn't be removed due to their embededness. lol

seriously, you are sounding paranoid. also your argument against makes it look like your government is absolutely not to be trusted. lol

chip removal could also set an alarm.

I'll tell ya, if everyone knew where everyone elses gun was that would be a good thing imo.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Eh. I wouldn't doubt that some spark will rally for it to happen - not at the national, but at the international, G7 level. And then they'll press for some electronic disabling device 'only available to law enforcement & the military.'

Pretty much a dumb idea, though.

First, law enforcement might come to rely on that whilst ignoring a great deal of firearms already in the population that don't have the chips.

Second, you'll be creating a black market for chipless firearms, whether new or used or smuggled. Consumption is never a constant - which people tend to forget - so purchasing wil 'route around' the interference.

Third, making a firearm from kits or from scratch [machined, that is] isn't such a big deal if you're at all clever. More folks would find that attractive & get into that hobby in result. And there would then be more dangerously unreliable firearms in the population. Some of them fully automatic.

Doubtless some of the newer firearms owners would start off with the chipped arms, since they wouldn't know any better. Doubtless also the folks at the local range would set 'em straight very quick.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب