Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Standing Post

Unusual Standing Post

Hi All,

Has anyone seen or practise Jaam Jong with there feet together? Is this normal and what do you think could be the bad or negative reactions and positive reactions to standing like this?

Since ive tried it in the beginning was harder the feet shoulder width, also my balance was all over the place. Since over time i feel that my balance and body has internally stablized and during Jaam Jong since the feet are together you feel like you have melted together. Anyway please feel free to comment love to hear what you all think?

FT

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe Sun Lu-Tang does this with feet together as well. I've tried it, but ended up separating my feet for the same reasons-I felt off, but you've inspired me to work on this, as body awareness, and detecting thesubleties of skeletal alignment, balance, connection are what it's all about. Thanx!

Hi 10 Tigers,

Your welcome! What type of standing you do as in hand positions?

FT

I do that sometimes, tbh, i find that if you are open to energy flow its more powerful it flows through you, whereas if you have blockages, it shakes you to bits, you feel uneasy out of balance and like you are compressing too much power into too small a body.
    Thats what ive found.

WFH,

When i 1st started Jaam Jong it was like that with my legs shoulder width but that isnt like that anymore, but now my feet are together its completely different.

Does anyone use front bow and arrow stance at all?

FT

Hi FT,

Zhanzhuang with feet together is fairly common practice in Hebei and Shaanxi methods. The key is to note that the subtle shift must be stabilised which would then improve all else. We practice standing upright and Dun (squatted) which is lowering as far as possible, thereafter various methods are practiced which contribute to Yang Dantien (Nourish Dantien). typically hands sit above the knee/thigh in either a hooked formation or simply palms upwards.

The front method is often known as Hubuzhuang in our styles and it is also common practice but the unique aspect is that feet are more linear than in gongbu (Bow Step) also the body is aligned to the rear leg rather than the usual shaolin upright body approaches.

Regards
    Wu Chanlong

Hiya,

Thanks, ive never tried in a front bow stance, but was wondering is that stance would produce any good chi cultivation comparing to normal jaam jong standing?

Even is the weight was 50/50?

FT

fiercest tiger,

What factors would you consider allow for optimal qi building?

wolfy,

1st and formost being totally relaxed, holding no tension, proper posture, natural as i could bu i am open for sugestions and ways of different methods.

Garry

In Bagua there is a series of eight zhan-zhuang positions, beginning with wuji, continuing to liangyi, taiji, sancai... up to bagua positions. The wuji position has the legs together (slightly bent) and the hands at the sides. From there it continually opens and stretches further and further.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

ft,

In over 15 years I've come across only 2 Qigong Masters of high level. Both of them gave exactly the same outline for standing zhan zhuang (wuji).

1. Relaxation (of course).
    2. Stance/Alignment.
    3. Placement of mind's Attention (the only thing different between the two teachers).

My first teacher's student wrote a book about standing here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...books&v=glance

In Wuji we have three lines of alignment looking from the front and one line of alignment looking from the side.

The feet should be the same distance apart as Jian Jing points (GB 21) on the shoulders. This distance can be achieved by placing the heel of one foot in the arch of the other forming a sidewards "T". Then turn the foot with the heel in the arch of the other on the ball of it's foot 90 degrees to the front so it's parallel with the other foot. Then advance this foot to be equal to the stationary foot and so both are parallel.

Correct position is found with JianJing directly over YongQuan points (on the feet). Then from BaiHui a line dicects the center line of the body down through Huiyin and to a point between both feet where a horizontal line going though both YongQuan meet.

I hope this is not too confusing.
    Last edited by woliveri; 12-05-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Wolfy

Thanks for the breakdown, i think some people use too mucH intent on the principle and structure and lose the most important point the energy and relaxation.

Cheers,
    FT

squatting monkey

Hi FT,

There's one called Dun Hou (Squatting Monkey) stance where it's done with feet together, knees bent, body leaning forward slightly, hands together palm facing forward in front of knee, heels slightly off the ground, and trying to elongate the back all the way from Baihui to Changciang. Pretty hard to do, but great for developing power.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Hi John,

Hows it going mate? What type of power would the squatting monkey develop?

Garry

Storage (Potential Energy) thereafter Contraction and expansion (Kinetic Energy)

Dun Hou Shi is typically from Xinyiquan.

THe zhuang is the preliminary posture and emphasised heavily in Dai Shi Xinyiquan. It is the most favored posture to nourish and develop the dantien since it ensures that breathing is not kept superficial and since it works on a central cycle of qi rotation. In trying to compress and shrink to as small as possible but still very relaxed creates a second nature uniqely. Unfortunately the posture is sensitive in that if not taught properly it can develop many issues of stagnation and thereby worsen health.

Proper training is from Yangdantien (dunhoushi) to zhan dantien (Standing) which develops the contracting and expanding methods of Daishi xinyiquan. These are further developed within stepping and once the zhanzhuang is practiced further methods of practice such as san yuan shou, liuhe shi and the the like. Since all daishi xinyiquan works on the same principles throughout this is all very essential.

The keystones of xinyiquan: jitui, longshen, xiongyao, yingbang, houbei, hubaotou and leisheng are the desired outcomes.
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 12-07-2005 at 04:21 AM.