Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Forms

Help With Forms

I am a brand new member to the forum, and a new student to Kung Fu as well. My School's style is Wah Lum-Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis. I am having a difficult time remembering all the moves to forms, and it is difficult for me to take notes during class. I have used search engines to try to find videos or books that list the forms we use, ESPECIALLY the current form I am learning, called "16 HANDS" with no success. Can anyone help me find study guides? My preference would be video, but I'll take what I can get. I have already spoken with my Sifu about this, and he said while he is not aware of a source, he has no objection to me using one I find on my own.

With my schedule, I don't have the opportunity to attend class often more than once a week, so the extra reinforcement would really help.

Thanks for letting me share in your community. I look forward to interacting with this forum in the furure.

Where are you located and who is your teacher?

Once a week is tuff, my only advice is to practice practice practice... on your own. If you are having trouble at this early stage, wait to you get to the loooonnnnngggg forms!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Welcome, It takes longer to learn forms when you're just starting. Give yourself some time. Soon the moves/techniques will become more familar and learning forms will become easier.

You also need to practice on your own.

Every class try to get the next few moves of the form. Practice those moves a few times when you get home from class. Practice them the next morning. Practice them at lunch and then at night everyday until you get it.

If you practice what you know twice in morning, at lunch and at night you will be doing the form 6 times a day. You'll eventually have the whole form. Once you do get the whole form, video tape yourself doing it. This will be good for reference. It will also help you to evaluate how well you do the form.

Also, try not to focus too much on completing form. I know it's difficult especially when you're just starting out. Try to focus on what you know and making it better. Kung fu is not a destination it's a journey and if you're in it for the long haul you will want quality over quantity.

Good luck
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i just finish studying 16 hands. i can explain the moves if u want....
    not sure if i can cus i m not one of the red shirt (si hing who has permission to teach classes) but i guess i can explain the basic like stances and what punch if u want i will pm it to u.
    Last edited by MantisWarrior; 12-06-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MantisWarrior
    i just finish studying 16 hands. i can explain the moves if u want....
    not sure if i can cus i m not one of the red shirt (si hing who has permission to teach classes) but i guess i can explain the basic like stances and what punch if u want i will pm it to u.
    Thank you, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan
    Where are you located and who is your teacher?

Once a week is tuff, my only advice is to practice practice practice... on your own. If you are having trouble at this early stage, wait to you get to the loooonnnnngggg forms!
    I am in Connecticut and I attend the Kunk Fu Academy II in East Windsor. The problem I am having with practicing, is if I have nothing to compare it against, i.e. a video or diagram, I can end up practicing the wrong moves, and I'm not reallt progressing.

llaajj1

llaajj1,

I suggest you talk to your teacher. I am in CT. also and practice Plum Blossom and Six Harmonies and it takes practice, almost everyday. If you practice the forms, be sure to practice the applications, otherwise forms are just forms, they look pretty but really don't do much without learning the applications.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of someone who 'just finished' learning something new sharing his insights with someone else, but then again, it does show willingness to share and to assist in someone else's growth, which of course, I'm a huge fan of. Great to see.

In general, I'm always willing to share my thoughts and general kung fu beliefs, as well as what I'm comfortable with regarding specific material that I've learned, but I try to defer comments about things that are new to me, or things I'm not sure about, to an instructor or more senior student if one is available.

Practice, practice, practice!

- CS

llaajj1
    You won't find much on the Net about Wah Lum except for the branch school websites. You might want to buy some of the anniversary videos although most of the forms will be modified slightly for performance. They should help with individual moves but the sequences will be a little different.

You can contact me at hualinmantis@yahoo.com and I'll help with whatever I can but I want to be sure you're teacher approves. It's disrespectful to teach someone else's student. Some teachers are picky while others don't mind.

Since Wah Lum is considered a closed system detailed discussions and video will be drastically limited on a public forum. Ex-Wah Lum sifu's, like yu shan, no longer answer to Master Chan so they're free to put out whatever they want.

If your teacher is showing you so many moves that you can't remember them he needs to slow down. Learning the intricises of the movements is hard enough. If I were you I would tell my sifu thanks but that is all I can handle for now.
    I do that with my Sifu when nessecary. The just work on that. If you spend the whole time trying to remember the form you are not going to make it look or feel good. Your intent will be focused on remembering the moves instead of applying them.

Also think of your movements all the time. I think of my moves when I go to lunch. You could practice the form in your mind. Then when you do it it will actually look better. I think mental practice is just as important.

Cheif fox

Good post. I agree about getting used to the basic moves first the learning a form will become easier. It does make me question why a new to kungfu student that comes once a week is learning forms before he is comfortable with basics. Especially at such an excelerated pace.

Visualizing the forms helps a lot. Try going over them in your head when you lay down at night to sleep.

I can't speak for all the schools but generally in Wah Lum the moves are taught first then the form. Especially if there are new or difficult moves in the form.

16 Hands is an entry level set utilizing basic stances, punches and kicks. It builds on the basics that preceed it like 8 Basic Stances, 8 Basic Punches and 8 Chain Punch.

I don't recall him saying he had trouble with the basics and I'm guessing that his teacher feels he has them down well enough to proceed with learning the form. That's his call, not ours.

Maybe it's just the sequence he has trouble remembering. Quite a few students forget there are 2 Choy Choy/Bean Choy's in the set.

Exclamation

Once per week is not enough for beginning students.

Even if you practice often, you are most likely practicing with mistakes. You need the criticism of your instructor especially when first learning.

Unhappy

Sorry, but I have to agree with Steronius on this. Unless you have prior training in martial arts and are used to picking things up, or perhaps have great natural ability and memory, it's going to be exceedingly difficult. Try to get some private lessons, if you can. I know you mentioned your schedule is why you only make a class a week so perhaps privates would be an option?

You should get a list of things from your instructor to practice while you are not there. It will be easy enough. Most students are not taught how to practice. If you can over come this obstacle you will be way ahead of others.

Start out getting your basic warm up sequence down including the stances. When you get this down you will be able to get more out of the class the one time a week when you are there. Most systems incorporate alot of important basics in this sequence.

If one time a week is all you can do, go for it. Dont let others discourage you in your goal. If there is something I want I will NEVER give up. I would rather have a hard worker come one time a week over a slacker who comes three times a week. The main thing is to focus and just do it.

Your tuition also helps the instructor stay open untill the day you can come 5 days a week. Most instructors appreciate everyones contribution.

It will take longer for you and that is a fact. It is worth it.

I agree privates work great also.

DONT LET YOURSELF BE DEFEATED

I hope this makes sense for you, in a rush today

IIaajj1, I'm a green sash at the kung fu academy in Chicopee. if you have any questions about what you already know in 16 hands, PM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions