Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd VTAA 'World Conference'

Any nominations please forward to the Beijing Olympics committee

Sorry to dredge up a slightly old topic, but is there any more information on what this was like? What is this new 4th form like?

I saw a writeup on www.ukwingchun.com, but it seems odd that such an event has had so little coverage considering the number of people who attended ... (?)

Thanks

I think what they mean when they say they are making up a wushu form is something standardized. That way everyone does the same exact form and can be judged accordingly. I am fairly sure it doesn't mean flipping and jumps.

Also I feel there is no need for a fourth form. Pretty corny.

The fourth form isn't exactly new. The first I heard of it was from Augustine Ng in Toronto in 1999. He and Sunny Tang (Dunn Wah) had been part of a VTAA group that was in the process of developing a "competition form." The main drive behind all of this seemed to be Ip Ching and his group.

The form (in its 1999 incarnation) contained segments from all of the empty hand forms, including footwork from the Baat Jaam Do and angle from the dummy. It was being designed as a standardized form for use in WuShu competition. Even in those days, people were already talking about Wing Chun in WuShu.

The form lacked the layout of the other forms, and focused instead on Showcasing the concepts all at once rather than progressively. This makes for a prettier form, but one that is really only for show and advanced skill upkeep (which can be done without the fourth form anyway, so it really is just for competition and show.)

That's all I know.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Thanks

Thanks for the info, CSP.
    Sifu Adam Williss
    The Dragon Institute
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/orangecountywingchunkungfu

Can anyone discribe the new form in detail? pictures or vid's would be even better...
    "Beware of entrance to a quarrel, but being in, bear't that the opposed may beware of thee."-William Shakespeare