Thread: Kung Fu or Wu Shu

Kung Fu or Wu Shu

This was a question posted in another forum.

The poster was a karate player and now is interested in CMA.

He asked he is interested in Kung Fu or Wushu and how many styles.

Kung Fu or CMA has basic training, sparring, 2 man drills, bag work etc.

Wu Shu is the modern competition event. There are Wu Shu Tao Lu and Wu Shu San Shou. Just like karate kata and kumite.

what is your opinion?

if somebody askes you what are Kung Fu and Wu Shu,

what would be your answer?

---

My actual answer would be that Kung Fu IS Wushu.

"Wushu" simply means "martial art" in chinese, so really any chinese martial art can be described as wushu.

HOWEVER, to a vast number of people, wushu would refer to modern wushu, which is a more high flying acrobatic form of Kunf Fu. See Jet Li for examples, he does what would be described by most as "Wushu".

Kung Fu itself is just too vast to describe. There are many hundreds of styles, lineages, etc. Tai Chi (Taijiquan), Bagau (Baguaquan/Pakua), Xing Yi (Xingiquan), Wing Chun, Shaolin, Lau Gar, Choy Li Fut, etc etc etc are all styles of Kungfu/Gungfu. There are animal styles, family styles etc. Each one has it's own training methods forms, but will have it's root in the same principles as others.

Mark.

Both contemporary or classical wushu (xinwushu-chuantongwushu), consist of numerous style (shi) the latter having the most.

They both offer taolu (set way), xieshou (weapon skill) and sanshou (scatter hand); however, classical specializes in understanding the fighting technique within their particular lu (way), which is a big difference from xin and chuantong.

Kung Fu and Wushu...

Kung Fu is Kung Fu; Wushu is Wushu (both classical and contemporary). Although majority of Classical Wushu are infact Kung Fu, contemporary wushu is totally devoid of anything martially meaningful to be practical. It is no doubt a sport just like ice skating, gymnastics, poker, etc... nothing more than to entertain the audience and nothing more than a spectacle. What's more important is that contemporary as a system would not stand up to the scrutiny of fundamental Chinese worldview, concepts and theories outlined and expressed in the Classics of Change (the Yijing). I believe that's the Dao or "the way" that Mulong alluded to.

Without the Dao or Fa (Dharma in Buddhist term), we all but dead men dancing with the contemporary wushu. But then... never mind. That's copy cat BS for ya. So...

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Wushu ( ) literally means "martial art". It is the correct term for the more commonly known but misused term kung fu, which roughly translates to "skill" and refers specifically to the energy, feeling and effort expended in doing or making something. A craftsman or artisan could be said to have good "kung fu" in the way in which they carry out their craft. In the same way, a wushu practitioner can also be said to have good "kung fu" with their Wushu practice. ...

"Kung Fu is Kung Fu; Wushu is Wushu (both classical and contemporary). Although majority of Classical Wushu are infact Kung Fu, contemporary wushu is totally devoid of anything martially meaningful to be practical."

All the moves in wushu have a martial application. Wushu players do not train these techniques on a resisting opponent because that is not our focus. To say it is deviod is ignorance or a bone to pick but either way not correct. Comparing wushu and poker? Come on now.

Also in China there isn't a big argument over what is better. They both have their place and they are both based in fighting. Also some of the moves you see no application in are building a foundation for weapons. Some movements in longfist are done later on with broadswords and staffs.

I am so tired if this old western argument that wushu has nothing to do with fighting.

From what I see most traditional guys aren't good at forms and can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. So what are they praticing? At least wushu guys are good at one of them.

answer:

both
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

i like to elaborate on mortal1

our northern long fist is label wushu, sifu teaches us the application. When i perform long fist, it is kungfu, when a different student in our school does, it may be wushu. some people at school dont focus on application, just looks, and beauty. they enjoy art more than martial. i enjoy martial more than art.

it depends on the primary focus of the practitioner.

i broke ribs on saturday sparring, opponent is not wushu player. owww
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

kungfu is something you work towards as an overall person. martial art need not be a part of it at all.

I would make the line between the two to be this:

That which is called contemporary wu shu is performance art. It takes hard work and lots of practice to perform at a level that is competition worthy. The san shou part is where the mechanics are altered drastically and the performance aspect takes a back seat to the martiality.

That which is called kungfu is a collection of practices that refines and hones the human in a holistic sense with a focus on martial practice as a ways and means of bringing about kungfu in the practitioner. san shou or san da is the free style fighting that can be done sportively.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote:

http://www.donnieyen.net/htm/martialartsdown/

Wushu is a way of expression. From the depth of your heart all the way to your hands and feet. Just like any other living thing in the universe. One hand gesture. One smile or just walking on the street. They are all ways of expression.

For me, movie shooting, editing, selections of music. There is a rythm in everything. The rythm is within you. Altho there are technical aspects in Wushu. From the root of Wushu, it is a harmony of everything in you and a harmony in the everything in the universe.

By Donnie Yen "iron monkey".

Kung Fu as pointed out is a general term for skills aquired over time and practice.

Wu Shu or Wu Yi is a very general term, too. Wu Xue is the study of fighting.

We used to say just Xue Quan and Lian Quan to learn and practice boxing.

Quan is not only a fist or open hand method. It may mean the school of fighting methods including weapons.

Such as Shaolin Quan, Yong Cun Quan, Tai Ji Quan etc etc.