Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chessboxing

Hybrid View

Chessboxing

So, you think you have seen it all. MMA, NHB, blah, blah, those are nothing. This is the real deal, the ultimate marriage of brain and brawn. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, there is a new sport call Chess boxing.

I can't wait to see Kasparov square off against Lennox Lewis. How about deep blue vs Lennox?

http://site.wcbo.org/content/index_en.html

Wow. Is this a hoax?

How are they going to find the athletes? I'd imagine the available pool would be very small.

Talking Here're some other "Federations"

Russian Poker, Sambo and volka. So you will have a card round, a wrestle round and a drink round champion. How about strip poker and wrestling but only teams of married couple (no offense but no g@y union though) can play?

Now if we have GO and push hand contest, we will the cure for insomia for sure!

Mantis108

Thank WM, that's a good find! lol...
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

No, I don't think it is a hoax. Many be a publicity stunt but not a hoax. I heard it over the radio and "radio is always right."

Mantis108,

glad you like it. I thought this story was worthy of its own thread on a MA forum.

no offense but no g@y union though
    what if it was girls?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There will be 2 outcomes.

1. Both a chess teacher and a boxing coach needed.

2. Or the chess club needs to add boxing lessons.

Or the boxing club needs to add chess lessons.

So the best boxer and the best chess player will be both needed.

Das ist wunderbar oder ausgezeichnet.

i dont even get it.
    where's my beer?

Thumbs up Anybody chessbox?

Chessboxing

funny old world.

No, but I heard somewhere that there is a mystery of chessboxing...
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

SCHLAGMATT!!!!! mit die zwei WHoopenmeistern!
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

is chinese chess easier than american?

Wait a second, I don't really see anything chinese on this. But I think I would be better Monopoly boxing(multiple opponents, resulting in a free-for-all).
    Last edited by jethro; 06-04-2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: more input was needed.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Quote Originally Posted by dwid View Post
    No, but I heard somewhere that there is a mystery of chessboxing...
    Beat me to it. I thought it was a thread about that old classic.

For those that have Netflix, they have the movie under the renamed title "Ninja Checkmate". It's a great movie if you like the old kung fu movies.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Chessboxing

funny old world.
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...t=chess+boxing

you see, the next revolution in combat sport is catching on.

Are there ringgirls in Chessboxing?

Because that could make or break a sport like Chessboxing...the ringgirls...

Chessboxing trend branded 'a joke' by Wrexham martial arts expert
    Published date: 12 October 2009 | Published by: Mark Taylor
    Chess-boxing

A NEW hybrid sport that combines chess with boxing has been branded 'a joke' by a Wrexham kickboxing expert.

The first European heavyweight chessboxing championship final was staged at the Boston Dome in London last week in an attempt to give the fledgling sport a higher profile in the UK.

Competitors Andy 'The Rock' Costello, an English former cage fighter, and Italian Gianluca 'Il Dottore' Sirci locked horns, and despite landing more punches, Costello lost the bout by succumbing to checkmate in the 9th round.

Chessboxing claims to be the world’s fastest growing sport and consists of 11 alternating rounds of boxing and chess playing.

But Russ Williams from Wrexham, who runs martial arts programs all over North East Wales, slammed chessboxing as a ‘gimmick’.

"It's clearly just a novelty thing and could actually be quite dangerous," Mr Williams said.

"Professional boxers and kickboxers are primed for the ring and that has to be the centre of their concentration; they can't think of anything else other than the fight.

"In between the rounds the body starts to cool and it can be dangerous if you stay still for too long to play chess - it's not good to be sitting down that long.

"It's a joke really, I try hard to put on shows, going through all the proper avenues and making sure all the weights are correct and that all rules are adhered to, fighters have to be properly matched, something like this makes a mockery of boxing."

“People want to see a good show, but this is just a gimmick," Mr Williams added.

Tim Woolgar from the Great Britain Chessboxing Organisation moved to dispel fears that the sport could be unsafe, he told the Leader in an interview: "We have medical people at the event, all the correct procedures are always followed.

"These guys have trained for the bouts, they are proper fighters, they aren't just people off the street."

As for the future of the sport, Mr Woolgar said he has high hopes for chessboxing: "We hope it will continue to grow, we are looking to get more people involved and hold bouts around the country, hopefully we can spread out as much as possible and make this a national sport."

Chessboxing was created in 2003 by Iepe Rubingh, a Dutch artist who got the idea from a comic.

On their website the World Chessboxing Organisation (WCBO) claim that there are 150,000 ‘potential chessboxers’ around the globe.

What is chessboxing?

* Two opponents play alternating rounds of chess and boxing in a boxing ring.

* The match starts with a round of chess followed by a boxing round, followed by another round of chess and so on.

* A contest consists of 11 rounds, six rounds of chess, five rounds of boxing.

* A round of chess takes four minutes. Each competitor has 12 minutes on the chess timer.

* A round of boxing takes three minutes. Between the rounds there is a one minute pause for the competitors to change their gear.

* The contest is decided by: checkmate, exceeding the time limit allowed in the chess game, a knockout or the referee’s decision during the boxing.

* If the chess game ends in a stalement, the opponent with the higher score in boxing wins.

* The WCBO say the basic idea of chessboxing is: "to combine the number one thinking sport and the number one fighting sport into a hybrid that demands the most of its competitors – both mentally and physically.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

By hook or by rook...

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter