Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chessboxing

Blog Entries
    That is sweet!!! Its like a combination test of martial ability.

Talking While Chessboxing sounds cool,

I think Shogi (Japanese chess) and Shooto properly is a more challenging combo.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    I think Shogi (Japanese chess) and Shooto properly is a more challenging combo.

Mantis108
    Real chess and go players all know that the challenge isn't fighting.

The challenge is drinking. Fighting is so barbaric.

Talking Chess and wine...

Right ....

Chinese Chess with Hua Diao (kind of like sherry) or fine Oolong tea.

Go with green tea

Shogi with Sake (either chilled or warm)

International Chess with wishkey or Cognac (perfectly aged Single malt Scotch would be sublime)

Checkers with milk and oreo cookies.

nothing seems to go with cola.... except maybe

Monoploy with coka cola and pizza. (although I am a die hard fan of Risk)

Now I guess they should do a Chess, Boxing, Jazz and drink challenge.

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 07-18-2006 at 12:26 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Risk and thumbwrestling. That's where it's at. With strong 2-hrs-in-the-making Turkish coffee.

BTW, this has been done before but that's just sour grapes cos nobody replied to mine!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Are there ringgirls in Chessboxing?

Because that could make or break a sport like Chessboxing...the ringgirls...

Chessboxing trend branded 'a joke' by Wrexham martial arts expert
    Published date: 12 October 2009 | Published by: Mark Taylor
    Chess-boxing

A NEW hybrid sport that combines chess with boxing has been branded 'a joke' by a Wrexham kickboxing expert.

The first European heavyweight chessboxing championship final was staged at the Boston Dome in London last week in an attempt to give the fledgling sport a higher profile in the UK.

Competitors Andy 'The Rock' Costello, an English former cage fighter, and Italian Gianluca 'Il Dottore' Sirci locked horns, and despite landing more punches, Costello lost the bout by succumbing to checkmate in the 9th round.

Chessboxing claims to be the world’s fastest growing sport and consists of 11 alternating rounds of boxing and chess playing.

But Russ Williams from Wrexham, who runs martial arts programs all over North East Wales, slammed chessboxing as a ‘gimmick’.

"It's clearly just a novelty thing and could actually be quite dangerous," Mr Williams said.

"Professional boxers and kickboxers are primed for the ring and that has to be the centre of their concentration; they can't think of anything else other than the fight.

"In between the rounds the body starts to cool and it can be dangerous if you stay still for too long to play chess - it's not good to be sitting down that long.

"It's a joke really, I try hard to put on shows, going through all the proper avenues and making sure all the weights are correct and that all rules are adhered to, fighters have to be properly matched, something like this makes a mockery of boxing."

“People want to see a good show, but this is just a gimmick," Mr Williams added.

Tim Woolgar from the Great Britain Chessboxing Organisation moved to dispel fears that the sport could be unsafe, he told the Leader in an interview: "We have medical people at the event, all the correct procedures are always followed.

"These guys have trained for the bouts, they are proper fighters, they aren't just people off the street."

As for the future of the sport, Mr Woolgar said he has high hopes for chessboxing: "We hope it will continue to grow, we are looking to get more people involved and hold bouts around the country, hopefully we can spread out as much as possible and make this a national sport."

Chessboxing was created in 2003 by Iepe Rubingh, a Dutch artist who got the idea from a comic.

On their website the World Chessboxing Organisation (WCBO) claim that there are 150,000 ‘potential chessboxers’ around the globe.

What is chessboxing?

* Two opponents play alternating rounds of chess and boxing in a boxing ring.

* The match starts with a round of chess followed by a boxing round, followed by another round of chess and so on.

* A contest consists of 11 rounds, six rounds of chess, five rounds of boxing.

* A round of chess takes four minutes. Each competitor has 12 minutes on the chess timer.

* A round of boxing takes three minutes. Between the rounds there is a one minute pause for the competitors to change their gear.

* The contest is decided by: checkmate, exceeding the time limit allowed in the chess game, a knockout or the referee’s decision during the boxing.

* If the chess game ends in a stalement, the opponent with the higher score in boxing wins.

* The WCBO say the basic idea of chessboxing is: "to combine the number one thinking sport and the number one fighting sport into a hybrid that demands the most of its competitors – both mentally and physically.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Is it only a matter of time...

before Mouthboxing finds a similar following?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19927902

What the heck was that?
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Forced ads where you can't adjust the volume should be illegal. I mean at least you can mute it, but still. They should use the same player as the regular vid.

IBchess crew comes in and starts complaining about the rules

From my limited understanding of chess I'm under the impression that it's more an issue of pattern memorization than raw computations. Can anyone verify this? I like chess but I'm horrible at it. But I've been told that when chess masters can stare at a board for a few moments and memorize the positions of the pieces, they can only do it if they're legit chess positions and not if the pieces are just placed randomly, which supports the idea of pattern memorization.

Will be interesting to see how people alternate between the adrenaline rush of boxing with the... excitement of chess. I bet the people who really enjoy chess get a rush from it, though. My rush usually comes from simultaneously running out of time while also losing based on play I bet the guys are gonna be thinking "man, this guy is kicking my ass, but I'm gonna checkmate him in two moves if I can survive this round!!" lol. And then during chess it's like "Sh*t, I'm losing, I better play for a stalemate and have him chase my king around and then kick his ass in the next boxing round. I'll teach him to capture my queen!"

How can I apply to be a commentator for this sport?

What would be interesting would be IQ boxing. Box for a round, then have some sort of IQ puzzle where your performance gives you a relative advantage/disadvantage in the subsequent boxing around. Not sure how it would work. Since the person in physically superior condition has the advantage in boxing, neutralize the advantage with intelligence. btw I mean legit IQ questions, not trivia questions. The ultimate brains vs. brawn challenge.

Kind of reminds me of the Japanese gameshow Viking Challenge where you have to like do math problems while balancing on a tight rope or something as part of an obstacle course.
    Last edited by IronFist; 10-13-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IronFist, It's both. Just wiki it. I don't feel like typing out the fundamentals of chess, but yeah, it's both.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    before Mouthboxing finds a similar following?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19927902
    That isn't what Chessboxing is.

Aside from the fact that it needs a new name that doesn't already mean something else, looks kinda like fun. I like chess and I like punching people. Sounds fun to me.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-13-2012 at 06:36 PM.

KFM chess tournament on yahoo games?

Ok. Chess is not a game of wits at all. Chess is a series of games. These games are numbered. First move, second is made which alters what the first move intended, so the first mover then make his second move, switching to another game so to speak, and recognizing this the second player makes his second move to alter the game intended by the first player, which then enters another game. It is all about memory. You remember all the moves. Eventually, it gets down to which one makes the first move. He will always win. Now, there are the sacrifice moves that are intended to change the game and force the second player to make a certain move, but he will usually have an option and do the same thing the first player did. Again, the first to move usually ends up winning. It all depends on how well and how thorough one remembers the moves and games.
    Myself and a young friend joined the highschool chess team and eventually people quite going to the tournements because we never lost. I eventually gave it up because it was absolutely boring. It was not a matter of matching wits, but knowing the moves.
    If you notice, at the games they use timer clocks to show how long it takes to make each move. These guys sound like they are typing a letter home. If two guys are matched up to win every other game, depending on who gets first move, they can determine the best player by the times. The best player will have the least time on the clock. I forget now just how many games there are, but it is an unreal number to have to remember. This is why playing a computer is so difficult. It has all the games in memory. And a person that has them all in memory can actually beat the computer.
    Jackie Lee

^ You sure about all that?

The person who goes first doesn't always win.

Computers beat humans cuz the computers and see 100s of moves in advance and the best human chess players can only see 20(?) or so moves in advance. Maybe that's what you meant by remembering games.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    ^ You sure about all that?

The person who goes first doesn't always win.

Computers beat humans cuz the computers and see 100s of moves in advance and the best human chess players can only see 20(?) or so moves in advance. Maybe that's what you meant by remembering games.
    Chess programs have a database of all known techniques. That's all. They don't "think" outside the box like people can. They are limted by their program, people are not. Well, some people are not. lol

Yeah I'll throw down with whoever wants to play. Why not. Timing may be an issue tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Chess programs have a database of all known techniques. That's all. They don't "think" outside the box like people can. They are limted by their program, people are not. Well, some people are not. lol

Yeah I'll throw down with whoever wants to play. Why not. Timing may be an issue tho.
    If you want to play with people via PM you can use this

8 ║♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
    7 ║♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
    6 ║… … … … … … … …
    5 ║… … … … … … … …
    4 ║… … … … … … … …
    3 ║… … … … … … … …
    2 ║♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
    1 ║♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
    —╚═══════════════
    ——a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h