Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fighting stances

Blog Entries

fighting stances

I have a question for everyone.

When in a fighting stance, and you are being circled, do you......?

a) put weight on front leg and maneuver.

or

b) weight is on back leg while you maneuver?

I am asking just to see how you do things.

For my self, most of the time i put my weight on front leg and steer with the reverse--pivoting on front leg.

hsk

i move with him so that instead of him circling me we are both moving sideway in the same direction.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

neither. mobility follows as it will.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    I have a question for everyone.

When in a fighting stance, and you are being circled, do you......?

a) put weight on front leg and maneuver.

or

b) weight is on back leg while you maneuver?

I am asking just to see how you do things.

For my self, most of the time i put my weight on front leg and steer with the reverse--pivoting on front leg.

hsk

Do you pivot on the ball or the heel?

There are probably risks and vulnerabilities in any weight distribution in that scenario. I try not to put most of my weight on the front leg for wariness against a front leg sweep. If I can catch more of my balance on the back leg (assuming I'm not squared up to the opponent) then I feel I would less likely go down, not to say that the back leg can't be swept as well, I just think it's harder. When I shift my footwork, if I'm conscieous of it, I will also move the front foot first for some of the same reason.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    More or less the same as gwa sow, I circle him as he circles me.
    Last edited by Mano Mano; 12-12-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    neither. mobility follows as it will.
    yup. me too.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I use the stance I always use. Essentially a relaxed, loose horse stance that's a bit wider than a boxer's stance, with slightly more weight on the front leg for attacking purposes.

Both legs are bent at the knee.

It just feels natural, I know everyone fights differently but this stance works for me.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

The key to all footwork is how to manipulate and control your center of gravity in order to evade or attack the opponent.

When being circled I square up to the opponent using a 50/50 weight stance similar to the way a boxer cut off the ring, or I can also cut 45 degree angles similar to how a boxer circles to the outside depending on the situation!

Blog Entries
    I see,

i can go either way. Personally i like 60% on the front while i use my rear leg to steer me left or right or whatever. it's only one step, one pivot, one step one pivot. I feel you are more likely to save more energy that way. plus, if you put more weight on the back leg, and lean kinda back, it tells me you're afraid to be hit. also, i think its easier to get off a sweep when someone transfers weight to the back.

bec back in a minute, gotta pick up the old lady.

peace.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I step in, to cut off his circle and put him on the defensive. Don't fight his fight.
    "Use a straight line to defeat a circle and a circle to defeat a straight line."

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    I see,

i can go either way. Personally i like 60% on the front while i use my rear leg to steer me left or right or whatever. it's only one step, one pivot, one step one pivot. I feel you are more likely to save more energy that way. plus, if you put more weight on the back leg, and lean kinda back, it tells me you're afraid to be hit. also, i think its easier to get off a sweep when someone transfers weight to the back.

bec back in a minute, gotta pick up the old lady.

peace.
    Weight in the back, IMO, is what I would use ONLY if I was being defensive and pulling off a pure Muay Thai. Which I never do, so it's out of the question.

That MT stance u always see is the defensive kicking stance. . . . . . . . so you can wait for the other guy to come, leg kicks, then move in and clinch.

Not something I'd wanna do vs. multiple guys. CLF all the way in that situation. . . ..

wait, CLF all the way in EVERY situation.

what ever comes the most natural and most comfortable, BUT if he is circling you, its easy to sweep him/drop down and grab his legs/ throw him.
    if someone is doing this, he is trying to size you up and is waiting for your attack. give it to him , dont give it to him, its all up to you.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Blog Entries
    so would you attack first?

in california it usually falls on the person who threw the first blow. the rest is self defense.

The reason why i usually wait for the person to attack first is you don't know anything about him. if he's carrying a knife, gun etc. that reminds me of a guy who followed me off the freeway in a road rage situation.

I pulled into a safeway parking lot, and figured if he follows me in then its on. I had a pair of escrima sticks with me and when i got out of the car he ran up to me. i had a stick in each hand and yelled out "give me a reason to use these!!"

but i put them down and he started to jump around like bruce lee. so i played a game of mental gung fu with him. i acted scared but impressed, even animated in my responses, but i said to him "it looks like you may know martial arts" and you can see his confidence building while he said "yeah 4 years muther f'er".

So once again i acted impressed and you "wow, you must be really good!!, but wait!" then i raised up my sleeves and showed off my tattoos of my coulplets and asked with a smile of my face.........." Do you think its possible that i may know martial arts too?" he stopped his dancing around and the look on his face changed.

I then said you got two choices.

1) you can either fight me, or

2) apologize, shake my hand and get back into your car.

He shook my hand and got back into his car.

Mental kung fu, dude!

hsk

Blog Entries
    Now, when it comes to sweeping from my stance, i don't usually go for the front leg sweep becuase it is pretty easy to evade by stepping into a cat stance and circling the tip of your toe either clock-wise or counter clock wise depending on where the sweep is coming from.

or you can simply go into a one legged crane stance to avoid the sweep, or step back into a retreat horse. you know.

But when facing off with someone i usually stand 60-40 on the front leg head and weight slightly leaned forward. at the same time im ready to launch a kick from behind.

Does anyone do it this way or know what i mean when i say "sei Ping Ma Sweep"?

hsk