Thread: Which would you recommend?

Polaris Guest

Which would you recommend?

I already asked this question before, but am repeating it because I only got one response. Even though it is a ways off (I'm a junior in High School and have to get 2 years undergraduate after that), I keep pondering where I should go to college. The school I want to go to has three locations: New York City, Chicago, and San Diego. I'm not really giving New York any consideration.
    San Diego seems like it would be more pleasant in my opinion (never actually been there though). On the other hand, even though I hear many good things about Mike Patternson, I get the impression that Wai Lun Choi is better. What would you suggest?

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Get into college first.

Then visit the schools and pick the one you like the most.

brassmonkey Guest

Not withstanding the kung fu

San Diego is an awesome city. 73 year round, the hot midwest girls your used to wouldnt get a 2nd look in San Diego. Downside its alil more expensive in San Diego but if you got the money go for it.

swmngdragn Guest

schools an' stuff.....

Academia is your prime concern. Rather than figure out what T.C.M.A. teacher is best, choose what collegiate program will best suit your needs. Once you've determined *that*, you'll find that your options for a T.C.M.A. instructor will have narrowed. Considerably.

Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    (swmngdragn@home.com)
    http://www.liuhopafa.com/
    "Train, or go to hell."Terry W.

count Guest

Schools and Schools

I agree with all that's been said above although I'd be willing to debate that about Chicago girls vs San Diego girls. I know you would get great training from either of the instuctors you mentioned. Both are excellent. But there are few individuals like Choi. His school is walking distance from De Paul. Just a thought.˙

Water Dragon Guest

Hope this helps

Definitely put your education first.

Here is a list of Good Instructors I know of personally around good academic

Ohio State in Columbus. Nathan Menaged. Teaches Taijiquan via the William CC Chen lineage and Liuhebafa and Hsing Yi sword via Dr. Tao Ping-Siang. Nathan is just amazing in every respect. He is the only recognized student of Dr. Tao and is being groomed to be the lineage holder for Dr. Tao’s system. As far as I know, he is the only legit source of Water Boxing in the U.S. besides Master Wai Lun Choi.

Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. Charles Pearce. Charles is a senior student of William CC Chen and may have one of the hardest punches in the business. Charles has an amazing knack for getting you good quickly and was personally responsible for putting me way above the standard for Taiji in the US in about a year and a half. I still consider Charles my primary teacher even though I only get to see him 2 or 3 times a year.

Chicago schools. Peter Kneipe. Peter does not teach publicly, but his wife, Hao Kom was teaching at the Chicago Art Institute the last I heard. Peter teaches Tung Family Tai Chi and has spent extensive time in China. He was recommended to me as the best Tai Chi man in Chicago.

Wai Lun Choi. I don’t know him personally but have never heard a negative thing about him. I met him once briefly and was impressed. He appears to be a very gruff individual but is definitely the real deal. What can I say? He is on my list as soon as my financial situation improves! Perhaps Drake can give you more.

As far as Cali, Try to find out where Fong Ha teaches. If he’s around your area he is the man! Learn his I Chuan. The man has a very “spooky” feel to him. Hope this helps

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

thething Guest
    As far as a place to live, San Diego rules. Sun, weather, beaches... I'm in UCSD right now and it would take an amazing job to get me out of San Diego. Of course my Sifu also is a big part of that. If you want to check it out its at www.bakfupai.com

I don't know if you heard about anything of bakfu, but it has been a family inherited art only until four years ago when our school opened. If you ever come down to San Diego I would strongly suggest you check our our school.

crumble Guest
    Water Dragon, have you had a chance to see/work with Peter in Chicago? What have you heard about him?

-c

Water Dragon Guest
    No Crumble,

I'm still waiting. All I have heard is that he has the best Tai Chi in Chicago. He does Tung Family and spent 20-30 years in China. His wife supposedly teaches at the Art Institute, but I was told to wait for a reccomendation. Ahhh, the joys of traditional teaching. It's been 2years now and counting.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

[This message was edited by Water Dragon on 03-03-01 at 05:39 AM.]

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Mike Patterson's not the only guy in San Diego teaching good kung fu - Southern California in general has good kung fu in many places if you know where to look.

Out of curiosity, what are the colleges you're considering?

crumble Guest
    Water Dragon,

I'm pretty sure I saw both peter and his wife give a demonstration at the Metcaffe government building in downtown chicago (clark and jackson). It's really got to be them, but I can't say for certain until I look at the flyer again.

If anybody is interested, I'm pretty sure that they are starting up a mid-day (around lunchtime) class at the Metcaffe building's health club. I think the flyer said a 6 or 8 week class would be 45$ for non-members.

There family form looks pretty interesting, the movements are much closer to the body and has a lot of wave hands combined with body rotation and stepping -- looks like good training for studying fighting angles. I saw them do empty hand form and sword form... no push hands, though.

For what it's worth,

-c

Polaris Guest
    The Pacific College of Oriental Medicine.