Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Benefits of Traditional Kung Fu

The Benefits of Traditional Kung Fu

I figured I would start a thread here where people could boast, or just comment about the benefits of their training. With so much backlash against martial arts originating from China now, and since we are seeing several generations now teaching Kung Fu from non-Chinese, and many eager to shift the focus more to simplified, or cage tested methods, yet others remaining true to what they've been taught. This also comes with Buddhist principles, which are really principles and could be called Muslim or Christian. Are these dwindling? Is the same person that gives you the pieces to become a competent fighter, the same person that should be giving you lessons on self-improvement? I think so... Are martial arts so dissected now that we have pieces all over the place and no real totality, ie, you go here to strike, here to joint lock, here to condition and strengthen, here to get some morals, here for socializing??

First and foremost, I have received much physical attributes and skills from my Sifu. I state this first because it was the primary reason I decided to start training. And I also need to continually work these skills and attributes. I am in better shape than ever, more energy, and when I spar or train, I can use what I've been taught under pressure. I still have a long ways to go, but I can feel it starting.

Second, I've learned much about respect, humility, and honesty. There are times when I would dismiss something with a little white lie, but then I think that if it was Sifu would I dismiss it like such? Now I find myself being direct and more to the point and not telling those little white lies.

Third, through Kung Fu and my Sifu's Kwoon, I have made some great friends and how to listen, to teach (Somewhat!), and to handle a variety of situations.

Although I've only listed a few that come to mind, I do feel that Kung Fu is a very promising endeavour and that the improvements I've seen are countless. As I start to instruct classes I realize how darn tough it really is to teach and I start to see my own skill level, and the demands I place on my fellow students, and I realize that it is some hard work. I guess that is what Kung Fu is all about.

David
    Last edited by WinterPalm; 12-14-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm
    I figured I would start a thread here where people could boast, or just comment about the benefits of their training. With so much backlash against martial arts originating from China now, and since we are seeing several generations now teaching Kung Fu from non-Chinese, and many eager to shift the focus more to simplified, or cage tested methods, yet others remaining true to what they've been taught. This also comes with Buddhist principles, which are really principles and could be called Muslim or Christian. Are these dwindling? Is the same person that gives you the pieces to become a competent fighter, the same person that should be giving you lessons on self-improvement? I think so... Are martial arts so dissected now that we have pieces all over the place and no real totality, ie, you go here to strike, here to joint lock, here to condition and strengthen, here to get some morals, here for socializing??

While it's good to have community and access to a lot of different things in your school, it is also good to keep open to the world around you and what it has to offer even some of the things that may be contrary to what you are being taught or learning. Keep the mind open, keep the eyes open and it's almost never a good thing to keep all your eggs in one basket. Ask your sifu how many teachers he had and what else in life influenced him. All kungfu is not necessarily of buddhist origin and much of the ways of focused practice on different styles under different teachers is how many sifu of now and of old have done things for centuries.

First and foremost, I have received much physical attributes and skills from my Sifu. I state this first because it was the primary reason I decided to start training. And I also need to continually work these skills and attributes. I am in better shape than ever, more energy, and when I spar or train, I can use what I've been taught under pressure. I still have a long ways to go, but I can feel it starting.

your sifu provides you with a method of training and a system of practice that when applied by you should work according to the plan. Don't sell yourself short. If you do not practice what he has to show you, then you will gain little or nothing at all. the more diligent you are and remain in your practice, the more it simply stands to reason that you will make more and more success as time passes. The sifu takes what he has learned and devises a way for you to gain from the overall practice of kungfu. The work is entirely up to you to do or not do.

Second, I've learned much about respect, humility, and honesty. There are times when I would dismiss something with a little white lie, but then I think that if it was Sifu would I dismiss it like such? Now I find myself being direct and more to the point and not telling those little white lies.

I think this is just part of growing up and taking responsibility for yourself and your actions

Third, through Kung Fu and my Sifu's Kwoon, I have made some great friends and how to listen, to teach (Somewhat!), and to handle a variety of situations.

that's good. Friends are always good. Good friends are great.

Although I've only listed a few that come to mind, I do feel that Kung Fu is a very promising endeavour and that the improvements I've seen are countless. As I start to instruct classes I realize how darn tough it really is to teach and I start to see my own skill level, and the demands I place on my fellow students, and I realize that it is some hard work. I guess that is what Kung Fu is all about.

kungfu by definition is hard work , it's about a lot of things. Teaching will not only help yoru younger classmates in their progress, it will help you in yours.

David
    My comments are in the quote above and bolded.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I am a tree kung fu is the water and sunlight give me some and watch me gro

Through training kung fu has allowed me to forego many desires and ego driven trips. I am calmer in control more forgiving and see the world throuhg a different perception I train to fight so I dont have to but also my health is a vast improvment I have a eight pack (yeh baby) and am extremely athletic my reflexes have improved ten fold and I kinda have a sixth sense for my surroundings an bigger aura feel but yeh an everything you said.

My teacher is a traditional Sifu. As much as possible within the legal limits of the United States anyhow.

He is the only martial art master I have had, so far. So all of my martial development thus far comes from only myself and my sifu.

The personal discipline i have gained from my practice has shown me a different side of life than i had before realized existed.

Until I began my studies, I had little direction in life, no real passion for anything. It was the same thing in and out every day. Now that is different, I have a goal. Not only do i have a goal brought on by my practice, but my practice continually makes my goal more clear, attainable, and understood.

We all practice martial art for our own reasons. (or should)

I practice not only to fight, not only to better myself morally and physically, but for the future.

The future not of martial art, but the future of our people. Of Human kind. One day I shall touch another humans life with my knowledge, and they shall do so in kind, and so on.

This is a legacy that, even though there is not an inkling of rememberance for me, it shall none the less benefit life.

This is a small attribution I have noticed Traditional Kung fu has given me.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Is the same person that gives you the pieces to become a competent fighter, the same person that should be giving you lessons on self-improvement? I think so...

why?

As someone already said, many of these "self-improvement" methods and "instruction" is really about growing up, and the people you decided to surround yourself with. Why is this type of self-improvement so important to be paired up with the martial-fighting type of self-improvement?

Developing your moral-set is your job, not your teacher's. It has nothing to do with the geographical mythical legendary location of your "art's" creation and evolution. You will find out that chinese, filipino, american, and even europeans and canadians (thats gotta be most of the world, not counting those russians) of high character have come up with very similar ways of filtering out the bad apples.

Being a "good-person" on the "correct" path of "self-improvement" has little to do with being able to kick butt, or having the dedication and [utting in the hard work it takes to merit the label of "kung-fu."

strike!

I think if someone gives you a skill that can be used to harm others, it is their responsibility to try and show you the proper morality that comes with such skill. This doesn't mean the are responsible for you if you mess up, just that they should show you that side of things as well.

No, you don't need to be morally fit to be good at fighting, but if you are sharing it with people, this component should be integral to the teachings. This isn't just about beating people up...
    A unique snowflake

Further, it is ultimately up to the individual how they behave. And if these lessons just come about through maturity, which I don't believe, then what does it matter if someone showing you how to kill people is also showing you how to be compassionate, generous, kind, and maybe even humble??
    A unique snowflake

Thumbs down

and many eager to shift the focus more to simplified, or cage tested methods,
    Gotta love the passive-aggressive put downs from the "superior and highly skilled" TMA crowd..

- A lowly, simple, MMA man

Keep the illusions alive boys. When it's all you've got, you gotta cling to it tightly.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Nothing is wrong with pairing them. Why do they have to be paired. It seems like your saying its wrong for it to be just about beating people up. Some of the best "kung-fu" out there is ONLY about beating people up.

strike!

Further, it is ultimately up to the individual how they behave. And if these lessons just come about through maturity, which I don't believe, then what does it matter if someone showing you how to kill people is also showing you how to be compassionate, generous, kind, and maybe even humble??
    Yes, it is always up to the individual to take ownership of their behaviours and actions. But what that has to do with Kungfu training I'm not sure by what you're posting here. I mean, I can see you have a belief about morality and that you appear to believe that that morality should come from your sifu. THat's fine I guess. You have to realize though that morality is not the singular point of kungfu practice and it is also a relative thing. Good / bad, Right/ wrong, I would think that at your age you would know what these things are and they they would be self evident to you. If not, then the problem may be deeper seated.

I would also add that comments about killing others, learning to kill others etc etc are a little on the edge when it comes to discussions about kungfu. Firstly, you have no idea if anything you do makes you capable of killing someone. Secondly, no one in your school to the best of my knowledge has ever killed anyone in any circumstances using that kungfu which is taught there. People in your club don't even enter full contact competitions much less practice killing arts.

Dave, I know that your teacher and probably you by proxy have a dim view of a renegade like myself, but get a little perspective and before you start getting into the quagmire of murky content, take a breather and touch wood and take a look around you. Everything that there is, is a lot to look at and try to understand. You don't need to start tripping in to hypotheticals to get benefit from practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I am a tree kung fu is the water and sunlight give me some and watch me grow
    god, ive seen better quotes on the back of kit-kats.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    god, ive seen better quotes on the back of kit-kats.

Craig
    there's quotes on the back of kit kat bars?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That comment wasn't a knock on MMA or cage fighting, in fact most of the proponents of that style and form will state that it is simplified, right? I understand you are looking for something to argue about, but I'm not.

Even if we aren't engaged in killing, we still have as part of the curriculum methods that could kill someone. We say, twist the neck this way, for example, there goes some vertebra, etc. Therefore I think it is necessary to instill a focus in mortality.

I understand that I have never met you, however I base my assumptions on you by the way you conduct yourself here.

Props to the guys that answered, Kung Fu is a great practice!
    A unique snowflake

That comment wasn't a knock on MMA or cage fighting, in fact most of the proponents of that style and form will state that it is simplified, right?
    Actually study some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for a few months and get back to us...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I study a traditional martial art. Jiujitsu is a traditional martial art. I was speaking of MMA which, for the most part, takes elements of boxing, thai boxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu. This is the most often that I've seen. I'm not saying these arts are not complex, but in this context, it is the simple movements, the high percentage movements are what it's usually referred to, that are collected together to produce an athelete to compete in MMA cage or ring fighting.
    A unique snowflake