Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of so called "MMA" in UFC

he didn't say it was TOO risky. He said you put yourself at risk everytime you attempt one.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Actually he said "try to throw a leg kick when someone is rushing in at you to clinch. the truth is that everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something."

Not exactly advocating kicking here is he? Almost making it sound "too risky", isn't he?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Eh. I only had enough time earlier to call you lame.

Most of the UFC fighters have some sort of highly evolved top ground game, or a highly evolved submission game, or very little game at all. Many fall into the category of gassed out and holding on.

There are just as many fighters who fall into highly evolved striking games and people who are just waaay out of their league.

The guys with highly evolved any-kind of game are the guys at the top.

There are tons of great kicks in UFC.

You can get UFC fights from netflix nowadays.
    strike!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi
    Eh. I only had enough time earlier to call you lame.

Most of the UFC fighters have some sort of highly evolved top ground game, or a highly evolved submission game, or very little game at all. Many fall into the category of gassed out and holding on.

There are just as many fighters who fall into highly evolved striking games and people who are just waaay out of their league.

The guys with highly evolved any-kind of game are the guys at the top.

There are tons of great kicks in UFC.

You can get UFC fights from netflix nowadays.
    I'll have to rent some more of the videos. I just want to see some more well rounded fights. Even if the guys are gonna slug it out at the end then I at least want to see some more skill. Not just two guys swinging for the fences trying to knock the other guy out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Actually he said "try to throw a leg kick when someone is rushing in at you to clinch. the truth is that everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something."

Not exactly advocating kicking here is he? Almost making it sound "too risky", isn't he?

Chief, here's what I tell my students: If your foot leaves the ground (knee or kick) you'd better make it worth while and cause serious pain or improve your position in the fight because it's a risk and this ain't a poker game...
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    No, I've always had a low tolerance for willful obtuseness and spectacular displays of fractured understanding. You are the latest to have exhibited those qualities which draw forth my ire.

And you are right, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. That does not, however make them insightful, nor does it make them correct. For instance, your assertions about high school wrestlers are largely baseless. You can point to no systematic studies to back them up, certainly, while anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that there is certainly nothing wrong with them to any greater degree than the regular population at large. This is the default position, that one sub-group won't vary much in mental health, unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

Still, one, after all, may be entitled to their opinion that the world is shaped like a burrito.

re: sociopathy, I believe the term you may be looking for is anti-social disorder. And unless you can demonstrate that high school wrestlers - or any of the other people you choose to impugn - behave or exhibit symptoms of ASD or were abused in a statistically significant way, I'm afraid your point is a bit moot, pal. Your personal opinion that it takes somebody off their rocker to want to compete in a combat sport does not constitute evidence of that, since such activity falls well within the bounds of socially acceptable behavior and does not, by necessity constitute illegal or even immoral behavior. One might ride the slippery slope of competitive tendencies and conclude that Boggle competitors are socially dysfunctional, using your logic. [sarcasm] After all, winning at Boggle is nothing more than an ego-fuelled power trip designed to demonstrate the superiority of the person's mental "muscles." [/sarcasm]

"Smart" people say "stupid" things all the time. Noam Chomsky comes immediately to mind.

Don't worry. I'm not suggesting you are nearly as bright as he is. He certainly would have had his definitions and data in place.
    F-ck you and Noam. He's a broke Nietzsche and Nietzsche was a poor mans Kirkegaard. But to hel- with the existentialism. He holds nothing on true geniuses like Baruch de Spinoza or Frank Tipler. In fact I would go so far as to say his I.Q. isn't even in the "bright" range.

BTW YOU geniuses have no memory. I'm no newbie to this forum and I'm no dolt. I am a medical professional who has done everything from CJJ/GJJ to Shorin Ryu. I know the real. I don't need anyone to tell me what the difference between anti-social behavior and sociopathy is. The former is a behavioral trait of many sociopaths. Having sociopathic disorder is the same as antisocial personality trait. I know because my DSM says so, layman dumbfuc-!

Mary do you even have a B.S. in anything remotely related to science? I doubt it so shut your trap with the empirical methodology argument! You couldn't even explain to me what a null hypothesis or two-tailed "t" test is. I also have a valid opinion based on my observational capabilities. I was raised fighting, watching hoods and fighers, befriending them and knowing real Gracies personally as well as others who fought for a living or for the thrill. The Gracies were by no means sociopaths, but many of the suckers doing that sport then and nowadays are, just like my friends who went to prison were. Many of them like to hurt and get hurt for money too. That says a lot about a group of people.

I am not trying to assail you with flowery language. I am giving you my opinion based on my reality. A lot of H.S. wrestlers and athletets are bullies, moreso than the percentage of the student body who are not wrestlers and athletes. Is there a study out there to corraborate this? You cats all went to or are in HS what do you think? As for numbers and studies. Who gives a flyin' f-ck?! Anyone who knows about research, statistics/epidemiology, knows that numbers and studies can always be manipulated to prove a point. So stfu with the attempt to sound academic. As a true academician and medical professional, I can see through your attempt at perpetrating the intellectual. Stop while you're behind, please. Nawmean?

It's alright if you enjoy receivin' and dishin' an ass whuppin'. That's very teutonic of you. Lets all make neurosis into a big money venture. OOPs already been/being done.

As for the rest of you flowery kung fools who now think because you saw the "Ultimate Fighter" for two years in a row and that it automatically makes you a squabbler--- you're sorely mistaken. Most of the supposed chuan fa you're learning just won't give you the proper foundation to ever be able to fight. Get real. Nowadays no one does the traditional; everyone is a MMAs expert! Hahahahaha! You ass pirates couldn't fight off a cold let alone to save your scrawny asses. Anyway if you're really a kung fu guy/gal, then why the f-ck you jockin' MMAs? They ain't jockin' you *****es. Grow some overnight or something. Oh and quit posting on a TMA forum, go to Bittchsheedo or somein'.....

Bandwagoneer, following never leading, fleeced sheep!!!

Either you can and always could fight, you joined a solid fighting art and got better, or you just can't throw. That's how that **** works, kiddies. Always has been like that and always will be, oblivious f-cks.

Whas'sup 7*?! Merry X-mas!!!!

Omegapoint
    Last edited by 'MegaPoint; 12-19-2005 at 11:36 PM.
    The morrow beckons...

Megapoint.....my hero....

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    Chief, here's what I tell my students: If your foot leaves the ground (knee or kick) you'd better make it worth while and cause serious pain or improve your position in the fight because it's a risk and this ain't a poker game...
    I see your point but along these same lines, every time you extend your arm you're taking a risk. For that matter, everytime you shift your weight you're taking a risk. Everytime you step in the ring you're taking a risk. What I'm saying is, why not develop all of your tools so they can be thrown in an effective manner?

I'm sure that you know your sh!t and I'm sure that you have fine students but even in your comment above, it sounds like you're making a case against kicking. I think you're selling yourself short. Why not develop a solid offense that includes kicks?

right, he's implying risk, but never does he say it's TOO risky. Only that there's risk involved...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I see your point but along these same lines, every time you extend your arm you're taking a risk. For that matter, everytime you shift your weight you're taking a risk. Everytime you step in the ring you're taking a risk. What I'm saying is, why not develop all of your tools so they can be thrown in an effective manner?
    be real, dude. The reason there is the assertion about kick risk is because your balance is compromised, whether the kick is high or low. That compromised balance is highly exploitable. To keep up with the game though, when you shift your weight, you are not necessarily taking a risk. take for example a right cross. When I rotate my body, my weight shifts. the key is to remain centered. Put too much weight on the front leg and it's open season to have that legged chopped like a woodsman to a tree. If for some odd reason I shift my weight backward, I am more susceptible to a takedown. However, both of those are wrong. So, yes, you are at risk if you are using bad technique.

The same can be said of extending the arm to punch. If I OVER EXTEND, then yeah, I am at risk. But that would be my own, improperly trained fault. If I under extend, I make it easier for him to follow my fist back in.

On a side note, what's goin on, 'megapoint?!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Megapoint., Happy Holidays.
    How's the studying going? Still doing Shorin?

BTW, I finally get what you mean by "broke" styles.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I'm sure that you know your sh!t and I'm sure that you have fine students but even in your comment above, it sounds like you're making a case against kicking. I think you're selling yourself short. Why not develop a solid offense that includes kicks?
    regarding punching, I think it's a different risk and it certainly doesn't jeapordize balance and loss of position like being on one leg.

I agree about developing all of your tools. My guys kick! (I've got a 6'3, 290lb. farm boy that actually kicks so hard that he completely deformed a pair of thai pads one night) but they are more focused on good punching first because it's much more important in striking. Best counter to a rear roundhouse? a right cross down the pike...
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    be real, dude....So, yes, you are at risk if you are using bad technique.

The same can be said of extending the arm to punch. If I OVER EXTEND, then yeah, I am at risk. But that would be my own, improperly trained fault. If I under extend, I make it easier for him to follow my fist back in.
    I am being real and you make my point for me. Any bad or poorly trained technique puts you at risk. But a well placed kick can make all the difference. Statements like "...everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something." are ridiculous. Of course you're risking something. You're in a fight for crying out loud. Putting yourself in the ring with a better trained opponent is putting yourself at risk. So why not train all of your weapons and use them at the appropriate time? Guys standing flat footed in the middle of a slug fest are ripe for a leg kick/take down.

I am being real and you make my point for me. Any bad or poorly trained technique puts you at risk. But a well placed kick can make all the difference. Statements like "...everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something." are ridiculous. Of course you're risking something. You're in a fight for crying out loud. Putting yourself in the ring with a better trained opponent is putting yourself at risk. So why not train all of your weapons and use them at the appropriate time? Guys standing flat footed in the middle of a slug fest are ripe for a leg kick/take down.
    Chief Fox,

Do you train MMA or spar with well-trained grapplers regularly?

re: risks. There are calculated risks and then there are foolish risks. Excessive kicking is foolish. If you think differently, well you're entitled to that.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    Chief Fox,

Do you train MMA or spar with well-trained grapplers regularly?

re: risks. There are calculated risks and then there are foolish risks. Excessive kicking is foolish. If you think differently, well you're entitled to that.
    Just so you know, I'm not trying to p!ss you off.

I spar reguarly. Yes, some of them are MMA and grapplers. Well-trained depends on your deffinition of well trained I guess.

When did I say that I thought excessive kicking was a good thing? I did say train all of your weapons and use them at the appropraite time. Where did excessive come from?

I'm not trying to come down on you for training the way you do. I don't even know you. What I am saying that there is a time and a place for kicking. I've been dropped by a well placed kick more than once. Why? Beacause they were throw at the right time and place. If you're looking for a fight about this, you won't find it with me.

Have a good day.