Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of so called "MMA" in UFC

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    How are ufc fighters not martial artists?
    According to a short article in the latest kf/qg, no, it is not (however, IMO, it is VERY MUCH an MA). According to them, there is a difference between being a martial artist and merely using martial arts.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Oh that's right I forgot. I read that article too, so guys who fight aren't martial artists but guys who pull trucks with their private parts or balance on their heads are. Glad we got that cleared up 7*
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Well, I would hope you'd see some striking in K-1

UFC fighters aren't "martial artists?" Fine, then. I'd rather be able to fight than be a "martial artist" any day.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Novice=Mo' vice

People like sensationalism, other's misery and gratutious idiocy. It's makes their miserable lives seem less drastic. Mankind has proven that ****t ever since forever.

People who fight for the sake of fighting are sadist and/or masochists, whether on a minimal level, moderate level or extreme one. It takes all kinds to move the world, I guess. Imagine if all you could do in life was fight for a living. That's pretty wack. Hurting and getting hurt for what amounts to peanuts compared to other pro sports; just pitiful. It goes beyond that though. These fools love to fight because they've conditioned their brains for it. They are just wired in a weird way. They also have a high threshold for excitement; they are often adrenaline junkies and thrill seekers just like fools who base jump and ****tt. It's not like most of those cats are rocket scientists anyway (Rich Franklin not included). Most of them are bully types and just like high school wrestlers (which most of them were) they have a problem with self-loathing or low self-esteem or controlling others through aggression. Many of them probably come from very abusive -OR- overly permissive backgrounds (i.e.: sociopathic). Without a fully developed conscience beating on someone who is not a real enemy is a lot easier.

Okay so the proper response to all this is if you can't fight but call yourself a martial artist then you need to rethink your classification. In that instance "Martial Wanna-be" or "Martial Novice" would be more appropriate. Conversely, a lot of the MMAs types are martial artists gone astray; Bushi Matsumura wrote about them in the 1800's. They nedd validation outside of themselves. It's called the "Bujutsu of Nominals". Look for Machimura's "Buccho Ikko" and peep a real martial artists assessment of the state of MAs as they always will be.

Happy Holidays to those who celebrate them!!!!
    The morrow beckons...

Most of them are bully types and just like high school wrestlers (which most of them were) they have a problem with self-loathing or low self-esteem or controlling others through aggression. Many of them probably come from very abusive -OR- overly permissive backgrounds (i.e.: sociopathic). Without a fully developed conscience beating on someone who is not a real enemy is a lot easier.
    Wow, this is so fantastically stupid it must be a joke.

Secondly, you might wish to brush up on sociopathy. Sociopathy is characterized by the inability to empathize with other people, inability to feel shame or guilt, the inability to love and be loved, in varying degrees. This result is that they use other people as tools to achieve their ends, in the same way that a smith might use a hammer and with no regard for the tool. In short, they have no restraints on their behavior, are usually unable to resist fleeting temptations, and impulsive in the extreme with little thought to planning.

Whatever shortcomings you may perceive in these highly competitive athletes, sociopathy would not likely be among them, given the necessity for self-discipline, determination, and planning required to succeed at the sport.

Of course, I'm betting that all of this is wasted on you, since your writings indicate fouled reasoning skills anyway. However, I respectfully request you spare us the pop psychobabble.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thank you for the definition, and no they are not sociopaths per se, but they do have sociopathic tendencies. If you think that sociopathy entails a lack of empathy or sympathy you are again correct (also called no conscience). Sociopaths like people other than themselves but they often don't respect others outside of their intimate circle. If you think that beating on folks for the thrill, perceived glory and money are not signs of a lack of "feeling" the pain you may inflict while doing this then you're a *******.

Look if you want to kick your own ass (and others) for some sick thrill or for some other B.S. reason (like money) then you aren't a TRUE MARTIAL ARTIST EITHER. In fact you could be an S&M loving, man butt-hugger. So watch how you talk to people who made no affront to you personally.

Neurosis is real. If you get a thrill out of getting hurt and hurting others for some illusory, contrived reason then you may be called out. This isn't pop psychology, this is logical reasoning. For example, boxing is a legit sport, but it plays upon the basest of human emotions. It is a gratuitous show of sadism and it's aim is to destroy what makes us unique in the animal kingdom; our brain. It is a destruction and loathing for humanity, as is rugby, American football and any other full contact sport. All of it is fake-machismo bull**** which feeds on testosterone fueled animalistic behavior.

So does this mean I refrain from peeping it? Hell no! I am fascinated at how many folks are followers versus leaders and how dumb ****s can get strong men to beat each other up so that some corporate **** can get rich. It's ****in' beautiful how peoples flaws can make even more flawed geeks lots of ducats.

So if you have your opinion about it all, obviously that you agree with it, then more power to you. I have my own opinion too, fool. I'll watch you geniuses destroy the West a little more each day with your neurosis. It's very entertaining.

BTW you've gotten a lot more confrontational since last I checked this site out. Increased aggression is always a sign of organic brain damage. Things that make you go "hmmmm"...

Opinionated I am- stupid I am not.... Mary!
    The morrow beckons...

BTW you've gotten a lot more confrontational since last I checked this site out. Increased aggression is always a sign of organic brain damage. Things that make you go "hmmmm"...
    No, I've always had a low tolerance for willful obtuseness and spectacular displays of fractured understanding. You are the latest to have exhibited those qualities which draw forth my ire.

And you are right, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. That does not, however make them insightful, nor does it make them correct. For instance, your assertions about high school wrestlers are largely baseless. You can point to no systematic studies to back them up, certainly, while anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that there is certainly nothing wrong with them to any greater degree than the regular population at large. This is the default position, that one sub-group won't vary much in mental health, unless you can demonstrate otherwise.

Still, one, after all, may be entitled to their opinion that the world is shaped like a burrito.

re: sociopathy, I believe the term you may be looking for is anti-social disorder. And unless you can demonstrate that high school wrestlers - or any of the other people you choose to impugn - behave or exhibit symptoms of ASD or were abused in a statistically significant way, I'm afraid your point is a bit moot, pal. Your personal opinion that it takes somebody off their rocker to want to compete in a combat sport does not constitute evidence of that, since such activity falls well within the bounds of socially acceptable behavior and does not, by necessity constitute illegal or even immoral behavior. One might ride the slippery slope of competitive tendencies and conclude that Boggle competitors are socially dysfunctional, using your logic. [sarcasm] After all, winning at Boggle is nothing more than an ego-fuelled power trip designed to demonstrate the superiority of the person's mental "muscles." [/sarcasm]

Opinionated I am- stupid I am not
    "Smart" people say "stupid" things all the time. Noam Chomsky comes immediately to mind.

Don't worry. I'm not suggesting you are nearly as bright as he is. He certainly would have had his definitions and data in place.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 12-18-2005 at 10:27 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Sorry.... but I have to say, I die laughing when people post about how "real martial artists" don't fight, don't like fighting, play with flowers in the open field and sing songs to sooth the savage beast

Who the F#$%^^&&&# did you train with?

Before the strip mall kung fu school and the second coming of the David Carradine kung fu charade there was once a martial art called Kung FU and I can assure you, the masters back in China were NOT the pathetic, wishy washy, touchy feely, new age, pacifist, granold chomping pansies you want to make them out to be...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

... I bet they'd have eaten Granola if they were hungry enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

The rules will really favor certain techniques.

Kicks are favored in TKD.

Once the rules are changed, different techniques are favored.

A while back, they changed to no head shot in Kuo Shu match. So no head gears were worn.

You may rule out KO by punching the head. It is not allowed.

All of sudden, Shuai Jiao dominated all matches.

So if there is a 10 second or 20 second on the ground rule?

---

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ght=shuai+Jiao
    Last edited by SPJ; 12-19-2005 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    Sorry.... but I have to say, I die laughing when people post about how "real martial artists" don't fight, don't like fighting, play with flowers in the open field and sing songs to sooth the savage beast

Who the F#$%^^&&&# did you train with?

Before the strip mall kung fu school and the second coming of the David Carradine kung fu charade there was once a martial art called Kung FU and I can assure you, the masters back in China were NOT the pathetic, wishy washy, touchy feely, new age, pacifist, granold chomping pansies you want to make them out to be...
    Great post. I 100% agree. I would just like to see some more well rounded fighters.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

1.) as mentioned it is very hard to stay striking in a situation that has removed the artificial rules (sport rules, rules of style) to keep them from clinching. for those of you who have not done san shou or mma and you think "these guys aren;t very technical throwers like judoka.. try an uchimata when a left hook is coming in. and just the opposite, try to throw a leg kick when someone is rushing in at you to clinch. the truth is that everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something.

2.) with the evolution of MMA has come an entertainment value and average joe is not impressed by ground strategy, he wants to see somebody ktfo. This means promoters are looking for entertaining fighters who will stand like rock 'em sock'em robots. if a bjj fighter wants to make it to the big shows he has to show at least some type of striking.

3.) rules are favoring strikers more and more. gloves to prohibit breaking hands, rounds, stopping fighters for periods of inactivity.. all favor the striker who can get a new start on his feet.

yet despite this grappling is still a more important aspect of fighting. I have to explain this to my students all the time. It's pretty much near impossible to keep kicking range on a guy who wants to grapple with you at any cost. (he's willing to risk a glancing shot coming in to clinch) so the best way to remain on your feet is to learn how to avoid the shoot, learn how to pummel and neck wrestle. - to be a better striker you have to be a better grappler.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

There is very little "rolling around on the ground" in UFC cage fights, and the people who usualy end up on the bottom in most UFC matches have very poor ground games. The original poster sucks.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi
    There is very little "rolling around on the ground" in UFC cage fights, and the people who usualy end up on the bottom in most UFC matches have very poor ground games. The original poster sucks.

I'm the original poster. Maybe I over generalized with the "rolling around on the ground" comment but this thread has had two pages of well thought out discussion and your only comment is "The original poster sucks". Lame dude, lame.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    1.) as mentioned it is very hard to stay striking in a situation that has removed the artificial rules (sport rules, rules of style) to keep them from clinching. for those of you who have not done san shou or mma and you think "these guys aren;t very technical throwers like judoka.. try an uchimata when a left hook is coming in. and just the opposite, try to throw a leg kick when someone is rushing in at you to clinch. the truth is that everytime you take a foot off the ground you risk something.

2.) with the evolution of MMA has come an entertainment value and average joe is not impressed by ground strategy, he wants to see somebody ktfo. This means promoters are looking for entertaining fighters who will stand like rock 'em sock'em robots. if a bjj fighter wants to make it to the big shows he has to show at least some type of striking.

3.) rules are favoring strikers more and more. gloves to prohibit breaking hands, rounds, stopping fighters for periods of inactivity.. all favor the striker who can get a new start on his feet.

yet despite this grappling is still a more important aspect of fighting. I have to explain this to my students all the time. It's pretty much near impossible to keep kicking range on a guy who wants to grapple with you at any cost. (he's willing to risk a glancing shot coming in to clinch) so the best way to remain on your feet is to learn how to avoid the shoot, learn how to pummel and neck wrestle. - to be a better striker you have to be a better grappler.
    Nice post, I agree with all of your comments except for the one about it being too risky to throw a kick. I've seen some very successful kicks in the UFC. Including head kicks, knees, leg kicks and side kicks. The only problem is, they are few and far between. I would say that the typical UFC fighter relys too much on ground skills. Nothing wrong with this but I would also say that their stand up game is lacking leading to the no kicks, last man standing, slug fest.