Thread: Symbolism in your style

Symbolism in your style

This is inspired by the other thread.

There is a lot of symbolism in CMA. The name, posture, theory and ideas even tactics and strategy. Some called it the culture, world view or life philosophy and what not.

Do you pay attention to these? Or they are not important?

So I assume Xu Bu and open my arms upward and downward from my centerline, it is called white crane spread wings.

Does the name mean anything at all?

There are generic names and stylish names. The generic name would be Xu Bu Kai Bei or Fun Zhang.

I am a tradionalist in every sence. So yes i love the names and try to understand the orign, the culture, religion and language of the chinese.

many of the names of techniques in our system have literal meanings as the founders of many styles such as ours were unable to write and read. thus mantis catches cicada is the only was to decribe lang gou. to name them demostrate without writing down to pass on for the last 350 years.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I think it is essential to understand the roots of the symbolism in the arts, because it gets you closer to understanding the essence of the art. I think it is just as important as explaining things to students in plain English .
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.