Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liu He Ba Fa and Water Boxing

Sam Wiley Guest

Liu He Ba Fa and Water Boxing

I've read only a little about LHBF. But until recently I have never read or heard the phrase "water boxing" used with it.

Until the other thread on the subject mentioned that one master does not seem to take kindly to the styles of LHBF that bill themselves as "water boxing," I simply thought this was just another name I had somehow missed before.

What is the difference, if any?

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
    -An Old Taijiquan Saying

Qiman Guest

I am with you Sam

I thougt the two names were one art as well. At the top of my screen today is a video for sale by Helen Lieang. Terry Dunn also has Liu He Ba Fa materials for sale. Drake, who are the dancers and who are the fighters?

PlasticSquirrel Guest

hmm....

from what i've heard, "water boxing" is just a sort of nickname for liu he ba fa. i could be wrong, though.

Ky-Fi Guest
    I'm not much of an authority on Liu He Ba Fa, and I don't put much stock in lineage arguments---but here's a biography of Liang Shou-Yu----I would tend to doubt that he's ignorant of the martial aspects of the style he teaches.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/HomePa...tory200010.htm

Joe2334 Guest
    I study under the current lineage holder of lui ho pa fa, grandmaster wai lun choi. "water boxing" is just the english nickname. it is the 4th internal art.
    it has the power of hsing i. flowingness of bagua,
    and subtle stoping power of tai chi.

<A HREF="http://www.luihopafa.com[url="http://www.luihopafa.com"]web" TARGET=_blank>www.luihopafa.comweb page</A>

Water Dragon Guest
    The Original term was Suai Chuan (sp?) which translates to Water Form or Water Boxing. The name Liu He Ba Fa :Six Combination Eight Methods or Hsing Yi Liu He Ba Fa Chuan is I think around 200 - 300 years old. The system is said to be around 800 - 1000 thousand years old. I had even heard a rumor from a different source that said the art Jiang Fa taught to Yang Lu Chan's teacher was Liu He Ba Fa internal mechanics grafted into the Pao Chui forms. Just an old Legend though.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

fiercest tiger Guest

sam

the vids for sale, terry dunn are they any good and how long has he trained?

i have a friend that is training luk hup batt fut, and loves its simplicity!!!

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Qiman Guest

Terry Dunn

I have his Tai Chi Ruler video and workbook. It is clear and easy to follow. Good production. My sifu says that some of the material is incorrect as my sifu learned the set from Master Share K. Lew. I was also told that Dunn did the Ruler products without consent of his teacher and bad blood between the two resulted.

--------------------------------------------------
    "I am fortunate to have a teacher to correct my foolish ways".--Qiman

swmngdragn Guest

videos and ........stuff

Guys,

I'd post my opinion, but I don't need the aggravation. If you gents wants my opinion, for whatever reason (heaven forbid), e-mail me. I'll be happy to do so privately. I'll be as honest as I can be. I'm not, however, going to get into a public slam fest. It's not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    (swmngdragn@home.com)
    http://www.liuhopafa.com/
    "Train, or go to hell." Terry W.

[This message was edited by Drake on 03-01-01 at 06:29 PM.]

swmngdragn Guest
    Hi gents. :)

>the vids for sale, terry dunn are they any good and how long has he trained?<

York Y. Lew was Terry Dunn's teacher in L.H.P.F. Loooong story attached to that relationship.

>i have a friend that is training luk hup batt fut, and loves its simplicity!!!<

Hua Shan Hsing I Liu Ho Pa Fa Chuan is anything, but simple. I'd love to know/see the guy do anything from the system. Do you happen to know what his lineage is, Fiercest Tiger?

Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    (swmngdragn@home.com)

Qiman Guest
    Drake, I respect your integrity for not naming names. Are Share K. Lew, and York Y. Lew from the same family?

fiercest tiger Guest

hi drake

ill try and find out for you his lineage, his teacher is cornileus ? ill get more info for you and ill be interested to hear your reply.

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

swmngdragn Guest

Qiman

>Drake, I respect your integrity for not naming names. <
    LOL.... Thanks, but I'm not that noble. I have ulterior motives. ;) Plus, it doesn't sit all that well with my conscience. (shrug) I dunno.

>Are Share K. Lew, and York Y. Lew from the same family?<

Of that, I have no idea. I tend to think that they do not share any familial ties, but who knows?

Best regards,
    R. Drake Sansone
    swmngdragn@home.com

cha kuen Guest

Water Boxing

I am thinking of taking a few classes on water boxing. What do you guys think of it? It is related to tai chi, xing yi and pa kua. Do you guys think water boxing is good or tai chi? Steve martin teaches a waterboxing class and I heard he's good. I'd like to get input from anyone.

Thank you.

count Guest

Liu Ho Ba Fa

I think Steve Martin is a wild and crazy guy!

Seriously, Liu Ho Ba Fa (water boxing) is as good as it gets. But plan on taking more than a few classes. It is a rather in depth system. One of the forms I have seen was well over 750 moves/techniques. Where in california is this class?