Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Explain Qi gong to me please !

Great description of Qi gong Scott!

I'd further like to add that qigong is a practice that teaches the practitioner to bring awareness to their breathing and learn how to naturally breathe. In doing so, it improves respitory functionality and acts as a cardio workout. There are many types of qigong, like the fish in the sea, all different and serving a different purpose to the great ocean of qi.

Learning qi gong practices are like a carpenter learning how to use different tools for their trade. Throughout ones life, different tools can be applied for different purposes to yield a desired result. Much like a carpenter can create a ladder with a saw, lengthy pieces of wood, a hammer and nails.

Having these tools in your toolbox and understanding their use, being familiar, comfortable and confident using them will help as one moves through life, even if their movement is an action of stillness in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    I view Qigong as a type of moving meditation with at least a partial purpose of giving the student something to do to keep them from falling asleep during the mental exercise.
    I do understand that body movements assist in the flow of Qi within the body, but once again it is the mind that is the major influence upon Qi flow and physical tension or blockages. The specific movements practiced are of secondary importance to the mental training involved.
    Hi, Scott,

Thank you for your encouragement!

I have no problem falling asleep, because whenever I meditate, the WWIII begin, and I would be too busy to figure out a way to stop it.

DR Yang says "the correct definition of Qigong is any training or study dealing with Qi wich takes a long time and a lot of effort". He also says "The word Qi has a wider and more general definition than most people think. It does not refer only to the energy circulating in the human body (Ren Qi)" ... "it is found in the heavens (Tian Qi), in the earth (Di Qi), and in every living thing."

Qigong is not only the study and practice of Qi in your body (mystical or scientific) ... Qigong is also the study of the patterns and cycles of nature recorded in the Yi Jing (Book of Changes; 1122 B.C.).

Taoist Qigong follows the "Way of Tao" where everything in nature (man, animals, plants, moon, sun, stars, ... are ruled by the same pattern. Qigong is not just to meditate or improve strenght in your body ... is a way of living that takes you in harmony with everything around you.

There are tales about Lao Tzu, the most famous taoist master ever. I advice you the book "Nine nights with the taoist master - Deluxe study edition" by Master Waysun Liao. It will change completly your vision about qigong and taoism.

If you want to read about qigong theory, history and foundation i advice you "The root of chinese qigong" by DR Yang Jwing Ming.

Enjoy,
    Jorge