Thread: Any Students Of Brendan Lai-sifu??

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Any Students Of Brendan Lai-sifu??

On another post, we were discussing the use of the voice in Kung-Fu, and I had mentioned that I had seen the video of Brendan Lai, Adam Hsu, Chan Pui, and Doc Fai-Wong. In this tape, Brendan Lai is showing applications, and his "yells" were very similar to those Bruce Lee did as Kato.
    Has anyone who has trained with Lai-Sifu seen him do this? Is it taught in his school? Could you go into detail about the vocalizations?.
    ....or was it just for the video?

Yep, that's what he did in class as well. Not much in the way of details. Pretty much as you saw.

question

N -- when and where have you trained under the late Sigung Lai?

Ten Tigers -- many years ago I had attended a few of Lai Sigung's seminars and were never taught to "yell" or "scream" while executing any Sahn Sao techniques.

Sincerely,

Maziar Massachi
    northernmantis.com
    geocities.com/mantisrider

Maziar,

I was a student of Sifu Lai in SF continuously from 1985 until he passed away. Your teacher knows me.

N.

vocalization in Tanglang

Excuse me I do not mean to hijack this topic. Master Chan Pui makes a lot of noice during his forms, very tastefully though. No screams or yells. My Da-Shifu now, Master Shr Zhengzhong also makes many differant sounds in his training. When I performed Bengbu form at the MQ gathering, I used some vocalizing. I heard out of a few there that they do not make any sound. What is your take on this, I am just curious. Master Shr has 50 years experience and with many Shifu`s, it appears some lines have this vocalizing.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Yu Shan,

Ran across a thread by chance, yesterday. Posted some info here:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=39412

N.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my first teacher's (hung gar) lesson is what I've kept over the years. It seems to concur with what -N- is saying on the other thread.

you will have sharp exhalations of breath at times as you execute technique.

sometimes you may make a sound naturally but should never focus on making a sound because then you are focusing on the sound and not what you're doing.

I have heard of some internal stylists who are supposed to make specifically pitched sounds with some movements. i've heard this is to open up meridians??????

one experience i did have was being in the presence of some of those big crystal bowls that someone takes a wooden dowel and runs it around the lip and the bowls start singing. different sized bowls were of course different pitches and were supposed to open up different chakras. I will say that the sounds were definitely piercing and I did feel different things with each one.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

while I did have the honner of meeting Brandan Lai I was not there when he was teaching so my question is was it a "SA" like a japanese kiai? many times when training my shrfu would do this as well as a "ut" sound when switching sides or certain strikes.

I have been lead to beleive it tightens the lower dantien.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by -N-
    Maziar,

I was a student of Sifu Lai in SF continuously from 1985 until he passed away. Your teacher knows me.

N.
    Sisook,
    I'm sorry about asking about your background. I did not mean to question you or your credentials rather simply misread your post and did not realize who you were. I hope to someday apologize to you in person.

Sincerely,

Maziar

Maziar,

Absolutely no apologies necessary. Most don't know about me since I don't have much habit to post my background online. That is fine by me too

best wishes,
    N.

Quote Originally Posted by mantisrider
    Sisook,
    I'm sorry about asking about your background. I did not mean to question you or your credentials rather simply misread your post and did not realize who you were. I hope to someday apologize to you in person.

Sincerely,

Maziar

Lai Sifu's vocalizations

Apologies for the belated post...

My personal observation is that Lai Sifu used vocalization specifically to startle his opponent/partner in conjunction with blinding speed to hit/land a blow. Similar to making the opponent blink when doing a fung sou/ying min jern combination.

Lai Sifu was also vocal in his demonstration of how a move was executed, ie
    "braaaak" for a pek sou; "paaak" for a toon choi or "sooooook" for a spear hand darting to the throat.

You'll note that tan tien does tighten up and the hit is very focused when the vocalization is used.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis55
    Lai Sifu was also vocal in his demonstration of how a move was executed, ie
    "braaaak" for a pek sou; "paaak" for a toon choi or "sooooook" for a spear hand darting to the throat.
    Hi M55!,

Yah, sound effects to help the explanation of the move.

N.

Brenden Lai was just making those loud noises for the effect, nothing to do w / training

Although some people exhale a bit harder cause of all the enrgy built up, but in that video, that wanst' the case. Jus tmaking things look/sound better.

that's all.

All Chinese I have met make goofy sounds and noises when they play! My girlfriend was just commenting on it the other day.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my first teacher was a hisser...either on the inhale or the exhale...he sounded like a **** snake all the time.

my second teacher was big on the 5 animal thing so he would use different sounds attributed to each animal at times....

I think the patented Pong Lai sound is kind of a 'BAA!!!'

I picked it up from yu shan and now I can't stop doing it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"