Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mantis Student here

New Mantis Student here

Hi,

Just thought I would introduce myself to ya all.

Bit about myself, did ITF style TKD for about 6 years which was a challenge for me with my bad flexability. Started realising that TKD wasnt for me and was constantly looking and trying other arts out, especially the grappling arts which were becoming popular at the time as I wanted combat effectiveness but didnt really enjoy them. Although I was told TKD was an effective art (I`m sure it is when taught as that) it annoyed me that no-one ever used anything from the forms or even one step when sparring, might as well just be kick-boxing!

At this time I unfortuantley ended up with a nutty neighbour which made me ill through stress so I started up meditation with the local buddist group. i do believe that the TKD did not help me with this situation but hinder me because I was taught to be tense alot, which only aggrivates the fight/flight syndrome and its resultants (constant headaches etc).

I was searching for a Wing Chun teacher but by accident I came across what is now my mantis teacher which is great, the art really seems to suit me, which to me is unusual as I am a short ass (5ft5) therefore techniques arnt normaly suited for me from other systems I have tried. The grapple action allows me to on occasion bring the oppenent down to my height which is good It has applications from the forms that can be used (and I do use) and it is complimented with the Chi Gung (which I apply meditation theory to, is this Ok?).

Anyway better not bore ya to much ;-) Would be interested in any comments.

Cheers
    Keef

Welcome to the wonderful world of Praying Mantis.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Re: New Mantis Student here

Originally posted by keef321
    ... I am a short ass (5ft5) therefore techniques arnt normaly suited for me from other systems I have tried. The grapple action allows me to on occasion bring the oppenent down to my height which is good It has applications from the forms that can be used (and I do use) and it is complimented with the Chi Gung (which I apply meditation theory to, is this Ok?).

Anyway better not bore ya to much ;-) Would be interested in any comments.

Cheers
    Welcome to the board keef321.

hahaha 'short ass' ??? My first Sifu was a foot shorter than me and weighed 60 pounds less and regularily showed me how size doesn't matter haha...

I'm not surprised PM suits you (shameless plug) IMHO it is the most natural system therefore easily adapted to anyone who has arms and legs and a desire to learn.

Regards,
    UM.

Hey Keef -

welcome aboard.. i just found this site about a week ago myself.
    It's great that they actually have a forum for just Tang Lang

doing any Wing Chun yet

Welcome to the board. Reading your post encouraged me to write something. Most of the time I just stay silent and read the world of information that comes our way. I am a beginer as well thus do not have much to share. Looking at your profile it seems that you are in England. Are you learning from one of sifu dereck fearson's student or even sifu derek fearson himself? Regardless, welcome to the mantis family.

Thanks for your replies!

Hi OOSS, nice to see you again (martialartsplanet), yes its great that there is a forum dedicated to Tang Lang. At least here one can have discussions without all the MMA telling us everything is crap in TMA/CMA all the time ;-) Its good that people can discuss different views but they do seem to be set in the MMA and Anti-TMA ways in martialartsplanet.

Hungy, ahhh another beginer like myself, it can be quite daunting reading some of the posts. Yes I am learning from a student of sifu Derek Frearson, he seems to be very knowledgable and highly into the practicle applications of the art. How do you know of sifu Derek Frearson?

My sifu is away this week so organised for me to train with a tiger stylist, I was suprised at the similarities that could be found, certainly opened my mind even further. We basically did a lot of one step, he used his tiger techniques, me the mantis, certainly opens your mind up, great experience.

P.S. The tiger guy said that Wang Lang was small in height like myself therefore thats why the system suits me well, does anyone know if this is true?
    Last edited by keef321; 06-04-2003 at 03:15 AM.
    Keef

keef321,

Wang Lang's size has, as I know it, never been something remarkable as either large frame or small. In Qingdao, they speak of him as having great strength and agility from his Gongfu training. Near Mt. Lao Shan, (where many believe Wang Lang invented Tanglang near the end of the Ming Dynasty), he is known by another name Yu Qi, and in one legend was reported to be able to hold a great weight and leap over a wall.

Were you guys able to get the Quarterly? The next issue has a long article about the Wang Lang legend.

Steve Cottrell

Hi Steve,

Thanx 4 the post, I will indeed get my sifu to get the next issue through Derek Frearson, looking forward to the read!
    Keef

Another new Mantis student

Hello keef321, and others, I am also a new mantis student studying the 7* style. I have been reading and learning a good deal so far, and hope to eventually be able to add some worthwhile comments.

I really just wanted a chance to introduce myself here as well as welcome another new student.

Thank you all for the knowledge that is shared here.

PAMantis

Hi PAMantis,

Nice 2 hear from ya.

So how long have you been studying 7*PM now & Out of interest what is the lineage?

I have only been studing it 4 about 7 months now but am finding that things are starting to react more mantis style naturally already, which is nice.

Keef
    Keef

Very new

I have been studying hard for about two months now. I have been doing a lot of research, and practicing what my sifu instructs (hard core). The lineage is (and this is what I think is the right answer to your question haven't really picked up too much on it) is Lo Kwong Yu. My sifu was a student o sigung Funk.

If I'm totally wrong sorry. please no one flame me for being ignorant. I'm still learning, and I know how passionate people are about the different styles and lineages. Be gentle and instruct me.

PAMantis

Keef,

I have been studying 7* for about a little over one year. It has been pretty eye opening. I also train under the CCM... Chui Chi Man lineage. Keef my sifu is a kung fu brother of Sifu Dereck Fearson. They are both disciples of Si Gung Lee Kam Wing. My sifu is sifu John Cheng. Hey PaMantis, don't worry too much. I guess we are all here to learn. I personally think there is nothing to get worked up about when lineages are named. It just tells you who your kung fu family members are. Technically we are all family. I would even go as far as saying that all mantis are family, but that is my personal opinion. Keef, just know that if you are ever in Los Angeles, or Orange County look us up you have kung fu cousins here.

PAMantis,

Its good to see that you are enthusiastic but make sure you dont burn yourself out! otherwise you will never reach your potential.

Hungry,

Ah ha another student who`s teacher is a kung fu brother of sifu Derek frearson, what a small world we live in :-)

Thanx 4 the offer, yes If I ever happen 2 b at that side of the world I will say hello and the same offer back, if u ever pass through South Yorkshire in the UK u r more than welcome!

This year in Barnsley (not far from me) we have Lee Kam Wing coming to the Summer camp, I am looking forward to this, we are fortunate to have him come here!

Nice 2 here from you.

Keef
    Keef

Hi Keef321

I used to train under Sifu Alan Smith who is one of one of Sifu Derek Frearson's students. I was always impressed at how dedicated both Sifu's are to 7 star praying mantis.You have made a good choice of Martial art. Good luck in your studies.
    I'd definitely recommend going to see Lee Kam Wing.

England

Hi, Keef 321 and Mr.B - Where do you guys train in the UK?

Regards,

Webbb82 (England).