View Poll Results: Would You Train Drunken Kung Fu?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep.

24 77.42%
  • Nope.

7 22.58%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Drunken Boxing / Drunken Kung Fu

You've got the link to the website selling the videos allready, and a trailer on there. For their Lau familly drunken boxing (which seems to be what you want) that's the only resource right there. What else do you need help with?
    Last edited by Brad; 04-02-2005 at 09:27 PM.

I know, but any additional information would be helpfull. ^^ I am severely strapped for cash, so I would like to get as much information as possible before I go out and spend money on videos and books.
    Last edited by Hakaisha; 04-03-2005 at 01:00 AM.

If you are interested in the Drunken Form, check out Choy Lay Fut's version in video or DVD

DVD's are now available at www.leekoonhungkungfu.com

I lost many emails of people requesting DVD's so moderators, i hope you don't mind me posting here...

go to :

www.leekoonhungkungfu.com

or ask if available at:

www.martialartsmart.com

The prices are the same as the videos, and there are some deals if you buy 2 or all 5...

Check it out and thanks!!!

Thumbs up Drunken Boxing / Drunken Kung Fu

Alright, so I'm watching The Legend of Drunken Master, and now it's my favorite movie. Now I understand that it's just a movie, and you don't really get drunk when performing it, so dont get started on that. This isn't a troll post, but a request for information.

Now im seriously interested in Drunken Boxing, not practicing it, but just learning about it etc.I really havn't read or seen much information about it on these forums, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. Also, are there any reliable sites for information about drunken kungfu?

Does anyone still practice Drunken Kungfu forms, and if so, who are they? When did it first "appear" in China, and, is it known who developed it? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Do searches for "eight drunken immortals" or simply "eight immortals" or "eight immortals of taoism" or "eight taoist immortals". Or look for books in a library or book store.

The story of the eight immortals and what each immortal represents in the system is really cool. I love drunken boxing, drunken staff, etc. I think the movements look great the way they flow and the way the body moves when practicing it. I haven't learned it yet, but I know I will start learning some things in at least 5 years (no reason to rush into it or skip anything, I shouldn't have to explain the importance of basics)

This link is of a school in Ohio, they put up a pretty interesting explaination:

http://www.ohioshaolin.com/8_immorta...ken_boxing.htm

And of course, wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_boxing

-----
    I don't know how accurate these paged describe it, so i'd suggest reading a book.
    Last edited by ZhuiQuan; 12-21-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Drunken kungfu is hard to explain to someone who doesn't practice kungfu. Here goes nothing. Basically this is a higher style of kungfu. Usually it exists in many kungfu styles at higher levels of training.
    What makes it higher level is the fact that it takes extraordinary levels of athletism to even learn the movements. It takes hard worked kungfu basics over years. You have to stay loose and relaxed through all the movements. This is harder then you might think. The movements are meant to develop you as a kungfu player. Many people say this is not a martial style. I pretty much agree. But it is meant to make the body limber and stronger. And to make your movements more fluid and relaxed. Those things indirectly help you to be a more formidable opponent.

I will learn it in my style eventually.

Some things that I always figured you got out of it were the ability to strike while off balance and to disguise your movements.

Then again, i've never trained it so I am only speaking of what i've observed.

Troy Dunwood is a member here. I believe he teaches Eight Drunken Immortals. I don't know what his new username is though.

Sifu John Allan at Green Dragon Studios teaches a nice Eight Drunkem Immortals form. They consider it an advanced form. Get his catalog and order it or search ebay for Green Dragon Studios.

He is not on the internet, you will find his ads in Kung Fu magazines

He is not on DVD, only VHS,

Everyone I have talked to gives his tapes high reviews.

I know some* kung fu

Will, i wouln't go as far as to say i know nothing of kung fu. I do practice wing chun, although i am still in my first 2 months of training

Vid

You can see an example of it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8959&q=kung+fu

this is stupid, drunken boxing is noting more then basic bio-chem.

When Alchohol enters the body. it attack the nerve centre of the barin and makes the body more relaxed and feel no pain. you can notice this by going to a local bar. All the drunk people are happy to be your friend there, even if they had a bad day. boos also impairs your higher logic. so you will think less and react faster.

Alto, Alchohol attacks the brain, it don't attack the memory cells. so you still have all the skills you have from training. Combining Alchohol with the knowledge of combat and you'll have a "Berserker". A guy that attack first and take names later.

There you have it, drunken boxing in a nut shell. You want to master drunken boxing, just get your self drunk. Really Drunk.

A bottle of fuki plum wine will get you just about perfect. drunk but alert still.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    many of the techniques in Joi Bot Sien are actually throws, and grappling techniques-predates BJJ. If you were to mimic doing a suplex,you would look like you are "lifting the wine pot". This is simply one application, also inclused are various sweeps, sacrifice throws, leg and neck scissors such as the triangle choke. You simply need to examine the forms.
    I cannot speak for Sifu Dunwood's Joi Bot Sien, as I don't know it. I am only speaking from the limited experiences that I have been exposed to.

trust me I know what I'm talking about

Tis thread is right up my alley. Youre both right, but yor forgetting the 3rd key element in Drunking boxing. MOMENTUM, by using offbalencing you acheve more powerin your step. The 4rth element is centifical force and counter balance. AS you take steps wich are rythmicaly balaced for example over exagerating your cross stance from right to left by swinging into the movements. That creates momentum, and what keeps you from falling is the counterbalencing that the arms create. That's why the left hand in the sword finger position like when youre using a gim,and the cup is usualy done with the right hand wich is the power hand. The left handed sword finger position is their to balance out the right to create power. Just like a seesaw. As your generating your power from the offbalancing of your footwork what keeps one from falling is centrificall force wich happens from twisting and turning. Twisting and turning is created by performing twisting stances. This creates coiling and uncoiling and also helps with rooting like a cork screw. This cork screw action helps to stop you as your speeding into a turn and allows you to uncoil instantly even though it apears as if one is off balance. Not to mention taht it is very hard to hit a spining target. These movements create powerfull wipping strikes. twisting turning and falling allow the oponent to perform various throws with speed and power. I'd be glad to work on these theories with you guys anytime since this is my area of expertice.

Kung Fu Lesson

Hi, Hakaisa
    Watching and learning Kung Fu from DVD & Video tape is an option, better yet, you may want to go and take a class....Check this out !

Northern Shaolin Kung Fu
    Red Dragon Club
    416 I Street
    Modesto, CA. 95351
    <drakcolman@yahoo.com>

Class Schedule....Monday, Wednesday & Friday evenings 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
    (Group Instruction) ...........(No Contrracts)

Traditional Chinese Martial Arts for health, fitness & self-defense.
    Classical form routines involving empty hand & weapon skills, which utilize striking and kicking methods.
    Methods emphasize repelling, restraining, neutralizing tactics and strategies. Health benefits are regulated through correct breathing for improving cardio vascular system. Strength and flexibility exercises make up a portion of class time to aide students in developing skills.
    Training drills are offered to reinforce and sharpen fundamentals. Self defense routines are presented to prepare students to respond quickly in neutralizing attackers. Apparatus training with focus pads, wooded dummy and bag work further enhances students knowledge on focusing power; developing accuracy in delivering strikes and kicks. Balance, timing and positioning is emphazes throughout workouts to improve coordination in applying technics. Tradition & philosophy are intrinsic features of developing traditional martial arts skills taught at our school.