View Poll Results: Would You Train Drunken Kung Fu?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep.

24 77.42%
  • Nope.

7 22.58%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Drunken Boxing / Drunken Kung Fu

Baku if your really serious about drunken boxing you should study this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9OJv0IeSLw
    5th Five Tigers Kung Fu Championship 2008
    http://www.fivetigerschampionship.com/
    http://www.jowtigers.com

Greetings,

If you are serious about Drunken boxing or fighting in that way, try Western boxing. It has the bobs and weaves as well.

mickey

Talking Fight?

Yes, of course it can work in a street fight. I suppose that one would have to work really hard to get it to work but it is still a possibility.

**** near anything has a chance or working on the street. It really depends on what's going on at the time. I personally have never met anyone really good at drunken boxing but I am not foolish enough to sya that it doesn't work just because I haven't seen it.

Excellent Drunken Boxing Form.

Here is an interesting Drunken Kungfu form. It seems that the form reflects the fact that this style has aspects that address groundfighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBE4...eature=related

HW108

PS. Sorry if this was posted before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Here is an interesting Drunken Kungfu form. It seems that the form reflects the fact that this style has aspects that address groundfighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBE4...eature=related

HW108

PS. Sorry if this was posted before.
    I didnt realize that this style had forms. I had a hard time getting past the horrible audio.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    this is simply the contemporary wu-shu version of drunken boxing. It is a performance set and not Joi Bot Sien-Eight Drunken Immortals, which although is a drunken fist set, contains many fighting techniques, including strikes and ground techniques. If you want to see authentic JBS, you need to look at CLF, 7 star mantis, and Bak Hok P'ai, not Contemporary Wu-Shu, which borrowed moves from JBS. Do not confuse outwar appearances with content.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

joi ba sin

hi Guys,
    Is there any TCMA standalone drunkards system that really exist??.

cheers
    hakka jai

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    this is simply the contemporary wu-shu version of drunken boxing. It is a performance set and not Joi Bot Sien-Eight Drunken Immortals, which although is a drunken fist set, contains many fighting techniques, including strikes and ground techniques. If you want to see authentic JBS, you need to look at CLF, 7 star mantis, and Bak Hok P'ai, not Contemporary Wu-Shu, which borrowed moves from JBS. Do not confuse outwar appearances with content.
    To me this set did contain some fighting techniques and I did like its performance. However, your point is taken and thank you.

Is there a video link with a Joi Bot Sien-Eight Drunken Immortals set that you would recommend for me to have a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    ....Saw a guy make a lot of money once in Saigon beating up Marines with CLF's drunken boxing.
    That sounds fascinating! Can you give us some more details and background to this story. I am sure most of us kung fu practitioners will find the facts interesting and I am certain that this story will be an eye-opener for some people here (I still don´t know what they are doing in this forum) who believe that kung fu does not apply to real life combat situations.

HW8

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Joi Bot Sien is a textbook of groundfighting. Leg scissors, sweeps, takedowns, throws, sacrifice throws, suplexes, triangles, armbars, etc., are all contained within the movements. If you know what to look for, it's right there in front of you, although not so much in the wu-shu versions, but there is some. If you look at JBS, you would think it's a BJJ Kata! LOL!
    (watch, now someone is going to read this and put out an article in the magazines)
    It's funny when people say that Gung-Fu doesn't have groundfighting. Look up Dog Boxing (no, not the one with my dog!) Di Tang Men Grand Earth Boxing as well. BJJ didn't invent groundfighting-although they have refined it.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 01-11-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Joi Bot Sien is a textbook of groundfighting. Leg scissors, sweeps, takedowns, throws, sacrifice throws, suplexes, triangles, armbars, etc., are all contained within the movements. If you know what to look for, it's right there in front of you, although not so much in the wu-shu versions, but there is some.
    (watch, now someone is going to read this and put out an article in the magazines)
    It is more likely that a pseudo kungfu-ist (or as I sometimes call them a Glorified Kickboxer) will read this and post here telling us that "there is no ground fighting in kung fu", or "Gracie is king" or "BJJ/MMA is better", "more functional" etc.

And you can almost bet that he will have spent a zillion years practicing a zillion different fighting arts (including a few years of "kung fu" with god knows who), but will of course consider himself qualified to give implied "expert" advice on kung fu subjects.

HW108

there is a good interesting article in the nov/dec issue of kungfu tai chi by Jake Burroughs (Tim Cartmell student) about xing yi's approach to surviving ground fighting scenarios. It also comments on ground fighting in kung fu in general, check it out you'd like it guys.

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    there is a good interesting article in the nov/dec issue of kungfu tai chi by Jake Burroughs (Tim Cartmell student) about xing yi's approach to surviving ground fighting scenarios. It also comments on ground fighting in kung fu in general, check it out you'd like it guys.
    That sounds interesting. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    It is more likely that a pseudo kungfu-ist (or as I sometimes call them a Glorified Kickboxer) will read this and post here telling us that "there is no ground fighting in kung fu", or "Gracie is king" or "BJJ/MMA is better", "more functional" etc.

And you can almost bet that he will have spent a zillion years practicing a zillion different fighting arts (including a few years of "kung fu" with god knows who), but will of course consider himself qualified to give implied "expert" advice on kung fu subjects.

HW108

What is all this "glorified kickboxer" stuff about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    What is all this "glorified kickboxer" stuff about?
    Why ask a question when you already know the answer?