View Poll Results: Would You Train Drunken Kung Fu?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep.

24 77.42%
  • Nope.

7 22.58%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Drunken Boxing / Drunken Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    See, you are never too old to learn. This holds specially true in the case of TCMA studies. Good luck on your new journey.
    and good luck on your upcoming one...

And if the other guy slams you down you might find yourself maimed for life.
    true - walking the razors edge between economic and bodily ruin!

If this was the case then point taken. However, not all cases were so "honorable".
    of course not;

You mean a real kung fu master lost to a boxer??? And he was your teacher? Things are beginning to make sense now......
    P.S. The boxer must have caught him on an "off day".
    ignoring the fact that you are making light of a highly respected TCMA master's experience, the fact is, he stepped into a boxing ring with no idea what he was getting into; from what I understand, it took him about 3 bouts to figure things out, and after that, he did rather well; in general, he always spoke about boxing in a positive light (unlike WC, which he used to rank on - but he was CLF, whaddaya want), and he was very much in favor of it as a style of fighting

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    and good luck on your upcoming one...
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn
    true - walking the razors edge between economic and bodily ruin!
    Well I for one would not want to be in their shoes.

ignoring the fact that you are making light of a highly respected TCMA master's experience,
    Not really.

the fact is, he stepped into a boxing ring with no idea what he was getting into;
    Well that was a mistake. Stepping into a ring with boxers who generally "live" in it is a mistake. It is like taking on a Bjj fighter on the mat. And of course there are the rules. I am sure that if it was an all out street fight your master would have done a lot better in his first encounters.

from what I understand, it took him about 3 bouts to figure things out, and after that, he did rather well;
    Well hats of to him for going there. I suppose some people just have that warrior spirit that pushes them to such lengths.

Having said that I will add that in my own case it is far more likely for me to end up fighting a boxer in a street scenario than the ring.

in general, he always spoke about boxing in a positive light (unlike WC, which he used to rank on - but he was CLF, whaddaya want), and he was very much in favor of it as a style of fighting
    I am not surprised about his view of Wing Chun. I have met other respected kung fu sifus from other styles that consider WC as incomplete and unfortunately for the most part they are right, because from what I have seen nowaday´s WC is practiced in an incomplete manner in most schools and that has been one of my issues here with other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    obviously, the fact that he felt the need to do BJJ belies his lack of depth in regards to the other arts he dabbled in

well, that certainly settles the issue

yes, I'm sure he could;

maybe he did, and found them lacking

exactly! please, continue to "manifest" your true feelings - again, I personally don't care, but it's all just a slippery slope for you...

on the other hand, one may have practiced one or two Chinese arts in great detail over many years, and then decided to add BJJ because of what was lacking in what they studied;

truly, we could certainly all learn a great deal about digging deeply from one such as yourself!

actually, it would be considered a hollow victory on the part of the one doing the takedown, essentially demonstrating that he was unable to sufficiently control the other while they both remained standing - in other words, if "A" could take "B" down, certainly "A's" skill would be considered superior to "B", but if "A" were a true master, he could control "B" while allowing "B" to remain on his feet - indeed, the ultimate victory would be that only "B" would know he was being owned, whereas to everyone else, it would appear to be a draw, thereby maintaining face for both (which, as I understand, is what happened, with Dong being the "unknown victor");
    WTF ???
    Those aren't my quotes !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    WTF ???
    Those aren't my quotes !!
    I think that tahh gihk yaahn made an honest mistake.

You must have been on his mind when he was posting to me.

Question drunken kung fu

does anyone know any good refference material to start studying drunken kung fu for a beginner? thanks

Show up to your kwoon after happy hour.

Its not a specific style, and usually not for begginers...there are some subsets of styles that include Drunken Kung Fu (ie Choy Lee Fut) but are usually taught at a more advanced level. This one is going to take some dedication son.

PS I was disappointed to find this out as well when I was first looking into Kung Fu. Makes for great film but might not be the best in to use for self defense...I prefer to use the rare yet powerful Captain N Coke and Nacho breath weapon when inebriated...and I'm undefeated in three states.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 01-24-2010 at 03:32 AM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

unleash your inner beast with some fine scotch.

It's "step drunk"

not

"be drunk" lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It's "step drunk"
    doing more spin in forms creates a naturally non-alcoholic state of equilibrium distortion.

1. buy 5 bottles of 60% alcohol saki laced with pcp
    2. give to homeless guy
    4. now u learn awesom drunken boxing

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

if the actually drunken kung fu as fancy looking as the preformance wushu version?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

A resource on Drunken Kung fu to Start?

Drunkard Kung Fu and its Applications- Dr. Leung Ting

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    if the actually drunken kung fu as fancy looking as the preformance wushu version?
    not at all. Although certain movements from the original forms have been added to the wushu version, they have made it into an acrobatic performance routine.
    There have been several magazine articles by people who do the performance routine, claiming to be experts, and showing ridiculous applications and theories.
    Mostly, the real Joi Bot Sien consists of mainly throws, takedowns, and grappling movements. It only appears to resemble a drunkard due to these techniques-the stumbling was added to the form to give it the overall appearance, and to possibly hide the applications.
    Face it, if you did the movements of a suplex-without a partner (as in a form-Goliath lifts the wine pot) you would appear as if you had fallen on your back. A leg sweep, or a hip throw (especially if you look at the walking drills in Chinese wrestling) appears like a stumble, etc. Really no mystery to it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ah very interesting thanks

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    it's more "authentic" when alcohol is involved.