Thread: A different kind of sparring

A different kind of sparring

So last night was a typical class. We warmed up, did some stance drills, then we did a lot of pad work. Then did those same techniques in two man drills. Then we sparred and worked on forms a bit.

At the end of class the instructo and another student came up to me and asked if I wanted to spar in the hallway. I was like "WHAT!? SPAR IN THE HALLWAY!". "OK, sounds like fun". So we did two on one sparring in the hallway. Each person took a turn as the one person. So we did three 1 minute rounds. It really got me out of my element being in the tighter space. Grabbing and controling limbs became very important. Position and using one opponent to block the other was one of the strategies. Another strategy was controlling one oppnent and using him as a shield against the other. Or even pushing one guy into the other.

It was alot of fun.

Anyone else got some different sparring ideas?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Blog Entries
    the one thing that allowed my student to keep his life is that kind of sparring.

except that i make them fight 3-4 on one since that's the way it is here in sf.

its a free for all and only one should be left standing. but because of this training my student escaped a life threatening situation with minor injuries while taking care of business.

both eyes swollen shut and no front teeth, cup choys can be a biatch.

I've been doing that for a couple years. Do it anywhere that conditions suck. Stairs, woods, mud a bedroom, a bathroom, in a parking lot. Just pick a place.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    I've been doing that for a couple years. Do it anywhere that conditions suck. Stairs, woods, mud a bedroom, a bathroom, in a parking lot. Just pick a place.
    oooh, stairs. Good one.

Just remember to wair head protection and don't get too stupid.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Just remember to wair head protection and don't get too stupid.
    Well it's too late for that.

Most of my S Mantis training was done in a hallway because that was the only space we had for a while. Chi Sau in a tight hallway is great. You know immediately when you become off balanced because you bounce off the wall.

Also, it forces you to absorb and displace to the sides because running left or right is not an option and backwards only goes so far.

Sounds like you're having fun. Sparring on stairs sounds fun too but sounds also too easily for someone to fall and crack their spine on the edge of a stair. If I was low, the first thing I'd want to do is find a dragging situation. If I was high, a near tackling and riding someone down the stairs like a sled situation.

two man drills with real knives, aka live blade training.

no joke!

strike!

this is how we do it

My friends and I practice all over our houses, the yard, the street
    in the rain "my favorite", and in the snow.
    we also have an area we call the sand castles which is deep white sand
    on a cliff side of sand stone, if you fall its 2 stories until the plop in the deep
    sand below. what makes it even better is that there are 5 of us and only
    two of us share the same base style. keeps it moving in all kinds of unexpected
    ways. we have shotokan karate, tai chi, boxing/grapling, and a guy who is
    just plan big "no formal training" but sometimes being big is enough.
    having someone who likes to spar with no training is helpful because he
    doesn't use stances or form he is just tring to hit you like an "average"
    person would.

Living room is my favorite. I'd love trying to trip people over the couch.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

try kicking the kitchen table into someone, that ones always funny

its fun to put your back to the wall or even in a corner. Play only defense while one to two people attack you, either free style or with a specific purpose.

Only allow yourself to switch stances, no moving side to side, or forward. Only blocking and pushing.

It sure is fun to watch the senior brother attack sifu this way and not even get close to landing a blow.

excellent practice for the situations when you become overwhelmed with attacks.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I like hooking chairs with my toes and spinning them around from behind
    to stop a bum rush

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    its fun to put your back to the wall or even in a corner. Play only defense while one to two people attack you, either free style or with a specific purpose.

Only allow yourself to switch stances, no moving side to side, or forward. Only blocking and pushing.

It sure is fun to watch the senior brother attack sifu this way and not even get close to landing a blow.

excellent practice for the situations when you become overwhelmed with attacks.
    We do this one quite a bit in sparring class. The last time I did it, though (4 weeks ago) I messed up my hand 'cuase I freeked when someone came at me with a high jump kick... Of course, I also learned to duck under that kind of attack thanks to that session. Very handy as I currently couldn't block 2-year-old with my left hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I like hooking chairs with my toes and spinning them around from behind
    to stop a bum rush
    Whaddya have monkey toes or somethin'?